Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:58:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Everlast of House of Pain British accent in Jump Around

Started by Bazooka, December 01, 2020, 10:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XhzpxjuwZy0

Nobody ever mentions it, but why did Everlast rap in a pseudo British accent?  Once you hear it you'll shit bricks.

Marner and Me

Might have been easier for him to rap, it's like Mike Skinner using a London accent. No Brix were shat though.

One of my favourite tracks ever that is though, dance floor classic, good for the gym, good solid all rounder.

It's funny you should say that, when it was first about on import and I heard it in a club not knowing who it was my hip hop loving friend said he thought it might be London Posse - I hadn't thought about it till you just mentioned it.

famethrowa

More to the point, why the FUCK would you make a song called "Jump Around" and then put it at exactly the wrong tempo for jumping around?

falafel

BlodwynPig

Quote from: falafel on December 02, 2020, 06:36:13 AM
It's the perfect tempo for jumping around!

Depends on what planet you are jumping and your mass.

The Mollusk

The tempo for "Walk" by Pantera is fucking useless for a speed-walker such as myself. Also it's a dipshit song for cunts.

non capisco

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 02, 2020, 09:06:44 AM
The tempo for "Walk" by Pantera is fucking useless for a speed-walker such as myself. Also it's a dipshit song for cunts.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that song is basically a metal cover of 'Superman' by Black Lace.

The Mollusk

Quote from: non capisco on December 02, 2020, 11:28:44 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, that song is basically a metal cover of 'Superman' by Black Lace.

Haha, yes!

"Raise your hand! Hitler tache! Here we go... Übermensch!"

*synth*

I think it's more supposed to be an Irish accent. He was playing up his Irish roots, that was part of the band's image. The follow up single to Jump Around was called Shamrocks and Shenanigans.

Spiteface

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on December 02, 2020, 11:51:22 AM
I think it's more supposed to be an Irish accent. He was playing up his Irish roots, that was part of the band's image. The follow up single to Jump Around was called Shamrocks and Shenanigans.

And, as I found out via an episode of Todd in the Shadows' "One Hit Wonderland" they also have a song called "Top o' the Morning to Ya" AND a cover of "Danny Boy" -

https://youtu.be/RBOGkD7xW2c

Bazooka

That would make sense, job well done squire.

buzby

The video for Jump Around being filmed during the 1992 St. Patrick's Day Parade in New York, featuring Everlast wearing a Boston Celtics jersey and the band's logo incorporating a the Irish tricolor, a shamrock and the motto from a whiskey bottle are a bit of a giveaway too, tbh.

Tommy Boy even sent their press releases out printed on green paper.

In the UK at least, Shamrocks & Shenanigans was their debut single on XL, which didn't chart. It was rereleased in October 1993 after Jump Around had become a hit. Jump Around itself only reached the Top 10 un the UK on a rerelease - it peaked at #32 in October 1992, and was rereleased as a double A-side with a remix of Top O' The Morning to Ya in May 1993, when peaked at #8 (on that release the A side was labelled the 'fighting side' and the AA side was labelled the 'drinking side').

The Irish gimmick only came about after Erik 'Everlast' Schrody's debut solo album flopped and he was looking for a new angle - he's about as Irish as I am, as he had an Irish grandmother on his father's side (his name originated from his German grandfather).

Icehaven

This was a common opinion in the Dog and Trumpet in Coventry in the late 90s, to the point where half the dancefloor would sing the lyrics and do the actions to Superman to the point where you could barely hear the actual song.

Jockice

Now there's a song that brings back bad memories. Sixth form disco, a girl from the year below who I had a bit of a thing for (and who - very unusually - seemed to like me too) asked me to dance to this. I refused. She said: "You've no sense of fun,'' stormed off and copped off with someone else. I wasn't happy and even less so the following day when I was going into the common room just as she was leaving. "Morning *******,'' I said. "You're too late"'' she replied. And that was bloody well that.

(I hadn't seen her since leaving school in 1984 but about a year ago became Facebook friends with her. She's looking good considering she's now a grandmother and is married to what appears to be Ian Botham.)

Anyway, back to the original subject, I hate Jump Around. The people who get all excited when it comes on the dancefloor are the direct descendants of those who do that idiotic thing to Sinatra's New York New York. Now my sister and I have had our bust-ups but the time she told me she once did that is the very closest I've come to totally disowning her.

Custard

About 20 years ago, me and pals would go to a local cheesy club and they'd play this then usually hit you with Blur's Parklife straight after. If you were sloshed and on the dancefloor, it was genuinely one of the most joyous moments of your life. Still makes me smile when I hear either song

RAWK N RAWL

jobotic

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 03, 2020, 10:14:44 AM
About 20 years ago, me and pals would go to a local cheesy club and they'd play this then usually hit you with Blur's Parklife straight after. If you were sloshed and on the dancefloor, it was genuinely one of the most joyous moments of your life. Still makes me smile when I hear either song

RAWK N RAWL

You people. I would have been one of the cool ones at the bar tutting and complaining that they didn't have any Stereolab.

Wasn't DJ Muggs responsible for the music for House of Pain? They'd have been alright if the other cunts weren't in it. As it was they were dreadful.

Quote from: jobotic on December 03, 2020, 10:21:46 AM
Wasn't DJ Muggs responsible for the music for House of Pain?

Yes, he produced half of the first album. Jump Around is built on a genius Chubby Checker sample.

jobotic

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 02, 2020, 11:35:34 AM
Haha, yes!

"Raise your hand! Hitler tache! Here we go... Übermensch!"

*synth*

I have never heard or heard of Walk by Pantera but this made me laugh a lot.

crankshaft

"Jump Around": the worst song by the worst band. An absolute load of tosh by an "Irish" band, one-third of whom was Latvian-American. Music for Brits who drank Caffrey's and would talk about "home" despite only going there once every two years to visit their granny.

Also notable for taking some UK press heat for using homophobic slurs in their lyrics. Their defence? "We only use them because it's easy to find rhymes for them".

Get fucked, HoP.

the

There's some very nicely produced tracks on the HoP album thanks to Muggs, and yeah, listening to the vocals on there gives you an idea of their limitations. But in places the production makes it worth bothering with, Put Your Head Out is ace (and it's got B-Real adding a bit to the proceedings and making you imagine it was a Cypress Hill track).

Icehaven

I've 0nly just realised House of Pain and Cypress Hill aren't the same band. And I grew up in the 90s ffs.

Quote from: icehaven on December 03, 2020, 01:34:37 PM
I've 0nly just realised House of Pain and Cypress Hill aren't the same band. And I grew up in the 90s ffs.

DJ Muggs produced both, he was effectively the backing band if you like so sonically they are very similar.

buzby

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 03, 2020, 02:29:36 PM
DJ Muggs produced both, he was effectively the backing band if you like so sonically they are very similar.
Also Everlast's vocal style in House Of Pain became 'very similar' to B-Real's - compare it to his previous solo efforts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq784ULox7c

WestHill

I think DJ Lethal did about half of the HoP production...