Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:31:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Finding out where a song is from after a very long time

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, December 02, 2020, 07:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
In the 70s, I remember regularly hearing on the radio the song What a Picture by Tommy Steele.  It's only recently that I found out that it was from a musical called The Moon and Sixpence, an adaption of a novel by H G Wells.

Have you taken years to find out a song's origins>

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on December 02, 2020, 07:34:05 PM
In the 70s, I remember regularly hearing on the radio the song What a Picture by Tommy Steele.  It's only recently that I found out that it was from a musical called The Moon and Sixpence, an adaption of a novel by H G Wells.

Have you taken years to find out a song's origins>

Surely Half a Sixpence, based on Wells' novel Kipps? I think The Moon And Sixpence was Maugham...

Twonty Gostelow

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on December 02, 2020, 07:34:05 PM
In the 70s, I remember regularly hearing on the radio the song What a Picture by Tommy Steele.

I bet you heard it on Junior Choice hosted by Tony Blackburn!?!  He seemed to play it every bloomin' week, along with Hello Muddah Hello Faddah.  Der Fuhrer's Face by Spike Jones used to crop up about every 3 weeks, and some piece of crap with the lyrics "A behhhh a behhhh a bank robbery", no idea who that was by or what it was from, it's ungooglable with such scant information.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 03, 2020, 12:46:17 AM
I bet you heard it on Junior Choice hosted by Tony Blackburn!?!  He seemed to play it every bloomin' week, along with Hello Muddah Hello Faddah.  Der Fuhrer's Face by Spike Jones used to crop up about every 3 weeks, and some piece of crap with the lyrics "A behhhh a behhhh a bank robbery", no idea who that was by or what it was from, it's ungooglable with such scant information.

'Ello darlin'!

It was Ed 'Casserolepan' Stewart who presented it throughout the '70s. Blackburn came later.

The Bank Robbery one might have been by Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung or EAV, but maybe not - it was 1986, after Junior Choice had finished. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXUlmP5MvnE

Buzby is asleep

Brundle-Fly

I was mildly surprised some years later to discover that the Captain Sensible sung theme tune to the 1990s snooker game show, Big Break was lifted from Mike Batt's musical, The Hunting Of The Snark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI9F55AHXoM

I bet you heard it on Junior Choice hosted by Tony Blackburn!?!  He seemed to play it every bloomin' week, along with Hello Muddah Hello Faddah. 

Yes, I remember that one too-and My Bruvva, which I only realised years later was by Terry Scott.

Quote from: Larry Heliotrope on December 02, 2020, 09:34:18 PM
Surely Half a Sixpence

I've got early memories of the song and seeing that on TV often.

Um-tiddly-um-pum-um-pum-pum
Stick it in your family album

some piece of crap with the lyrics "A behhhh a behhhh a bank robbery", no idea who that was by or what it was from, it's ungooglable with such scant information.

Here's the English version of Ba-Ba-Bankrobbery that I remember being played on my local radio station a LOT when it was released. Only seems to have got to No.63 in the UK charts so it seems all that promotion was for nought. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_UzJLi1whk

Twonty Gostelow

^ I thought I'd posted the dubbed English version last night but I copied the wrong youtube link, sorry.

Terrible combination of Down Under and Rock Me Amadeus, but I can see how the hook could get into your brain against your will.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 03, 2020, 01:29:37 AM
It was Ed 'Casserolepan' Stewart who presented it throughout the '70s. Blackburn came later.

Yeah I have vague memories of the Ed Stewart version but I have stronger memories of when Blackburn hosted it as I was a little bit older then.

Yeah, Ba-Ba-Bankrobbery, the English version, that's the one I was remembering.  1986 is too late for Junior Choice so I must have heard it somewhere else, either Radio 1 or our local, Radio Aire.  Whoever it was was playing the crap out of it (Martin Kelner used to play a lot of 'naff records' on Radio Aire, I bet it was him!).  My brain has filed it away with Junior Choice as that's the main show I remember playing so many awful novelty records.

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on December 03, 2020, 08:44:35 AM
Here's the English version of Ba-Ba-Bankrobbery that I remember being played on my local radio station a LOT when it was released. Only seems to have got to No.63 in the UK charts so it seems all that promotion was for nought. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_UzJLi1whk

I remember this being played a lot at that time.  It had that dog-woofing motif.  It was quite funny!

Pauline Walnuts

I remember hearing a song in a nightclub in 89, 90 or there abouts, I remember the 'NO SEX BEFORE UNTIL MARRIAGE' bit.

Only found out what it was a couple of years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQMG9f0HC0

holyzombiejesus

I went to see Felt's final concert in Birmingham in 1989 and have always wanted to know what the music was that they came on to. It sounded quite 70s in a Bowie kind of way but also a bit like that whole 90s French Easy Listening stuff like Air and Rob (that hadn't happened yet). It was definitely old (70s) though rather than anything from the 80s. There was a rather histrionic guitar line going through it. All the bootlegs I've heard online start just after the intro fades and the only record of it that I know of is on a C90 I recorded at the gig, that is in a drawer next to my leg. Unfortunately I have no tape player or walkman.

It went der der der der, der der der der, dududududududu.The dududududu line was the histrionic bit and descended, with the bit before going higher.