Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:14:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster New Zealand / Misc International Versions

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 02, 2020, 08:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdie

I feel like a traitor.

But the NZ version wasn't that popular here because, well the UK version is really good (mostly).

I didn't watch it because:
Can't stand Jeremy Wells
Can't stand Guy Williams
Can't stand Madeleine Sami
Really cant stand Leigh Hart

And I hadn't heard of anyone else including the co host.

I don't understand how they came up with that batch of contestants to be honest. 

But maybe I should reevaluate.

Famous Mortimer

I'm up to episode 5 and the only weak link is Guy Williams, whose playing to the crowd is becoming a little irritating. But I like everyone else (and think Leigh Hart's dry delivery is often hilarious).

g0m

I liked the NZ version a lot! I'd happily recommend it to any of my friends who I managed to wear down into watching taskmaster uk

Two Headed Sex Beast

Season 3 has started in Norway now. I'm missing Maria this time around though, and Calle's chaotic energy.

As for the new players, Trond is a great comedy character actor but he seems a bit reserved in this format. Likewise Egil seems happy to play along without trying too hard to win, or take much focus. The ice hockey player seems very competitive, and the only real laughs with him are when he seems genuinely pissed off at losing. Linn is kind of bubbly and fun and Jenny is ok too I guess? My Norwegian isn't great so it's hard to judge but I feel like there's not much chemistry in the group, and not enough outgoing personalities in the mix.

It's one of the few Norwegian language shows I can watch and understand (most of) without English subs though, so I'm not too picky really. It's still entertaining enough.

The Lurker

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 13, 2021, 04:52:44 AM
I'm up to episode 5 and the only weak link is Guy Williams, whose playing to the crowd is becoming a little irritating. But I like everyone else (and think Leigh Hart's dry delivery is often hilarious).

True but I liked Guy because his attempts were crap and he often finished in last place. If you're overly competitive and win, you're a dick but do it and lose, you kinda get away with it.

DrGreggles

Guy definitely grew on me.
Liked them all by the end.

frajer

Yeah Guy's bravado turned me off initially but he seemed like a decent chap and his OTT energy was good for the mix of people they had.

He was like the good twin to Iain Stirling, whose similar shouty confrontational persona died on its arse because he seemed genuinely unlikeable and patronising to the other contestants.

Gambrinus

Just finished it and thought it was generally brilliant. The dessert thing had me in stitches.

I lived in NZ for a few years until 2013 but wasn't familiar with any of them apart from Jeremy. Leigh looked strangely familiar though, maybe from bits on The Crowd Goes Wild or something? Or maybe just because he embodies Essence of Kiwi Male.

Famous Mortimer

Up to episode 9 now and Leigh Hart's delivery just has me in stitches. So I watched a few of his videos ("Screaming Reels", a fishing show, and "Storage TV", which I thought might be an actual Storage Wars style thing but is just a faux-documentary about a storage locker company) and they were...fine? Ah well.

BeardFaceMan

Very happy about that. I don't envy them the task (fnarr) of finding a cast as good as the first series though. What's the NZ comedy scene like, they're not going to have to go the sleb route just yet are they?

notjosh

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 05, 2021, 06:58:40 AM
Very happy about that. I don't envy them the task (fnarr) of finding a cast as good as the first series though. What's the NZ comedy scene like, they're not going to have to go the sleb route just yet are they?

Wouldn't be surprised if they get Rose Matafeo on. I seem to remember her talking on the official podcast about how much she'd love to do the show again and this is probably the only way it could happen.

Famous Mortimer

Just from people who've been on the NZ version of "Have You Been Paying Attention?", I'd be happy to see:

Pax Assadi
Tom Sainsbury
Ray O'Leary (although his energy is probably a little too similar to Paul Williams)
Karen O'Leary
Guy Montgomery
Melanie Bracewell

Ja'moke

Fantastic news about the second series.

Could we maybe get Tony Martin (not that one) on it?

BeardFaceMan

I'd love to see Rhys Darby, I think he would be gettable.

g0m

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 05, 2021, 04:10:22 PM
Just from people who've been on the NZ version of "Have You Been Paying Attention?", I'd be happy to see:

Pax Assadi
Tom Sainsbury
Ray O'Leary (although his energy is probably a little too similar to Paul Williams)
Karen O'Leary
Guy Montgomery
Melanie Bracewell

guy montgomery would be such a fun get. I'd love to see that

MigraineBoy

I liked the NZ version - their tasks had a freshness compared to the recent UK ones.  However by the end of the series I was convinced Leigh would've made a better Taskmaster.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I'm hoping Jeremy has got the vibe of show now and understands his role a little better and isn't so stiff for the 2nd series.

DrGreggles

I thought Jeremy really hit his stride as TM by the 2nd half of the series.

BeardFaceMan

He definitely got better as the series went on. But then I want every TM to be like Greg Davies.

Famous Mortimer

I think the UK got incredibly lucky with the combination they did - look at how awful the American version was, for example. But, agreed about Jeremy improving, and the relationship between him and Paul.

Bad Ambassador

Larry David as the US Taskmaster? Would that have worked?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 09, 2021, 01:46:08 PM
I think the UK got incredibly lucky with the combination they did - look at how awful the American version was, for example. But, agreed about Jeremy improving, and the relationship between him and Paul.

When they had a nice guy like Reggie Watts it changed the whole dynamic of the show, the TM needs to be harsh. But Americans have a weird attitude to panel shows/quiz shows/shows where you compete and don't win anything, so you had contestants not taking the tasks seriously and not caring about winning and Reggie being too nice to call them shit, it didn't work at all. I keep meaning to check out some of the other international versions to see what the dynamic is like on those shows, that's the key to the shows success, otherwise you're just left with House of Games.

Looks like series 2 of Taskmaster NZ might be on it's way soon. They start the studio recordings on 31 May: https://www.facebook.com/669976023186035/posts/1628544077329220

There was only a gap of a month between filming and the first series being on TV, so maybe we'll see something early in the summer?

Small Man Big Horse

That's good to hear, early summer would be great and would help when withdrawal symptoms from the UK series kick in.

g0m

I loved S1 of taskmaster NZ! hope they've got a good batch in

I've never heard of any of them but the NZ series 2 lineup has been announced:

David Correos
Guy Montgomery
Laura Daniel
Matt Heath
Urzila Carlson

https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/300319416/taskmaster-nz-to-return-with-new-line-up-of-comedians

cacciaguida

I watched a couple of clips of Dicho y Hecho - the spanish version of TM.

It seems like they almost had a show, but completely fucked it. For example, the task where you have to get the most surprising fact out of a swede showcases the various talents/personalities of the contestants and contains a couple of genuinely hilarious moments.

I'd link you to the clip, but it lasts 30 mins...

An edited version would fit in right alongside any UK task and we'd all be talking about what a profoundly strange but funny man Secun de la Rosa is. He gets knocked back time and time again in his questions, and the only thing he can confirm is that "this man is Swedish" and that "this man is employed by the TV program"...

However, they neglect to edit any aspect of any task, at all, and appear to have no fucking clue that any of this might be boring. As a result the show lasts 2h 30m and is shite. If they could just slap it around a bit and make it a 30m ep of the greatest hits it might be ok.

Unfortunately, that's not how spanish TV works...

g0m

guy montgomery! i know him from podcasts and that one episode of bigtop burger! he's funny