Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:57:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster New Zealand / Misc International Versions

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 02, 2020, 08:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Guy Montgomery is hilarious, he's always the strong part of the episodes of "Have You Been Paying Attention?" (NZ version) he's on.

Bob-Kate

Very late to this as I've just watched it and loved it. Right up there with the best of the UK series.

Great cast, want to find out more about all of them.

Tried to watch the US show, but the audience whooping and hollering was too much. And the contestants were too much too basically. Far too much gurning and relying on 'shock' swearing like overgrown school kids.

Anyway back to NZ, yet another reason to love the country, I wish I could teleport there. Looking forward to series 2.

SteveDave

I did a Google and Winter in New Zealand is between Monday the 21st of June and Thursday the 23rd of September. So it's either not long or quite long to wait according to that link from the last page.

Quote from: SteveDave on June 09, 2021, 10:27:58 AM
I did a Google and Winter in New Zealand is between Monday the 21st of June and Thursday the 23rd of September. So it's either not long or quite long to wait according to that link from the last page.

Starts two weeks today! Wednesday 7th July. https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/taskmaster-nz

Small Man Big Horse

Fantastic, and hopefully the same lovely people over on Reddit will upload it each week again. It's that or we'll get Birdie to record it and airmail over a video.

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 23, 2021, 02:17:14 PM
Fantastic, and hopefully the same lovely people over on Reddit will upload it each week again.

Yep :)

Small Man Big Horse

Only had the chance to watch the prize task and the first filmed one as annoyingly I have to work, but it's looking pretty great so far, I'm impressed by
Spoiler alert
David's prize silliness while all of their bowling efforts were very fun, they seem to be tackling the tasks in a ridiculous manner, happily abusing Paul if need be,
[close]
and there's no one I dislike in the way I did with Baddiel and Stirling.

Edit: Finished it now -
Spoiler alert
Vague observations: Jeremy's definitely better this time around, he's still not up there with Greg but at least he's nicely scathing at times and his chemistry with Paul is building; On the Paul front, I think I prefer him to Alex Horne - Strong words I know, and some people may think I'm mental, but it's true; The live task was a fun one, even if their shoe throwing was awful; David is looking to be the most inventive, but Guy and Laura are also early favourites; The other two are still strong though (though if pushed I'd say Matt is the weakest) and I'm liking their efforts a lot.
[close]
The end.

Edit 2: That Google link on the Reddit link isn't working right now as too many people have viewed it, but the episode is now up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9k_VD0_fSk

Famous Mortimer

I presume Matt's relationship with Jeremy (they host a radio show together, if those little graphics in the bottom corner are to be believed) will help, and there was already a sense of that with some of their banter in episode 1.

Excellent episode, I think. I probably ought to get round to watching the Baddiel-less serieses of the British version now (I watched up to just before his series).

DrGreggles

olliebean

Yes, this feels like it could easily top the UK version again.

SteveDave

Loved it. Even the angry woman on the end. I do wonder how many comedians there are in NZ though. How long can they go til they've exhausted their list?

I'm only halfway through but first impressions are very good. David, Guy and Laura have already made me laugh a lot, and the other two seem like they'll throw themselves into it.

Interesting to read that Angella and Brynley have got writing credits on this series. I'm not sure what that means in reality, but having people who understand a show working on a show can only be a good thing.

The first series was one of my favourite comedy things from the last year (though UK series 11 ended up topping it). I hope the people behind TM NZ know that there's a small but appreciative fanbase here. Fingers crossed that C4 or even Dave pick it up as I think it'd get a decent audience.

Tuppence

An excellent start to the series. Channel 4 should absolutely acquire this for streaming at the very least.

Here's a splendid in-depth interview with Guy Montgomery about his experiences on the show: https://www.flicks.co.nz/features/theres-nowhere-to-hide-inside-of-taskmaster-guy-montgomery-tells-us/

Ja'moke

Very fun first episode. Seems like a good group again. I also really like the Taskmaster house setting in the NZ version, with that big field and nearby lake.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: SteveDave on July 09, 2021, 09:35:20 AM
Loved it. Even the angry woman on the end. I do wonder how many comedians there are in NZ though. How long can they go til they've exhausted their list?
Simply people I like who've appeared on the NZ version of "Have You Been Paying Attention?" but not this yet:

Melanie Bracewell
Ray O'Leary
Pax Assadi
Rhys Darby
Bree Tomasel
Mike Minogue
Tom Sainsbury
Karen O'Leary

If there's no Australian channel interesting in buying the format too, then you could have a few Australians on too.

Small Man Big Horse

Being a massive racist I only know these three:

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 10, 2021, 03:28:06 PM
Rhys Darby
Mike Minogue
Karen O'Leary

And Darby seems unlikely given his level of fame, but as a big Wellington Paranormal fan I'd love it if Minogue and O'Leary were on the show, Jermaine Clement said the forthcoming fourth season of WP might be its last so they could have the time on their hands as well.

Famous Mortimer

Tom Sainsbury is also on "Wellington Paranormal" (be cool if Maaka Pohatu, aka Sgt Maaka, did it, but he's more of a musician / actor than a comedian, it seems).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Shaun Micallef-hosted Australian version; I have to assume with the success of the NZ variety that someone is in talks, somewhere.

Retinend

Edit: oops, responding to an old post

servese43

I reckon Sam Pang would actually be a good host for an Australian Taskmaster. He could easily go from mocking Tom Gleisner to mocking the contestants and whoever would be Alex Horne.

beanheadmcginty

I've never met anyone called Guy in real life. The only Guys I was previously aware of were Fawkes, Michelmore and Incognito. Yet they've had a Guy on both series of this. Incredible. Is Guy a particularly popular Kiwi name or something?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: servese43 on July 11, 2021, 08:30:51 AM
I reckon Sam Pang would actually be a good host for an Australian Taskmaster. He could easily go from mocking Tom Gleisner to mocking the contestants and whoever would be Alex Horne.
Good shout. Plus, he'd have the radio show to promote it on.

The Lurker

Second episode up now. David is hilarious and the chemistry between Jeremy and Paul is really good too, shaping up to be a good series this.

In the first episode Guy's flight task stood out. I don't think I've seen that level of task assistant collusion or acting before. It helped to make it surprising/funny that they didn't show the real planning.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: The Lurker on July 14, 2021, 08:58:02 PM
Second episode up now. David is hilarious and the chemistry between Jeremy and Paul is really good too, shaping up to be a good series this.

I loved it a lot once again, Jeremy's come on leaps and bounds, all of the tasks were strong, and my only minor complaint is that Matt's just an okay contestant and not as great as the other four, but otherwise it was something that made me laugh an awful lot.

Brilliant episode.

David is absolutely hilarious - I laughed my head off at him
Spoiler alert
retrieving the balloons from the ceiling
[close]
Spoiler alert
appearing naked on the table
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
screaming on the floor after he mistakenly squirted the suncream
[close]
. Two episodes in and I already think he's got the potential to be one of my favourite ever contestants.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 07, 2021, 04:38:27 PM
On the Paul front, I think I prefer him to Alex Horne - Strong words I know, and some people may think I'm mental, but it's true;

I think I agree.

Also agree on Paul > Alex.

At first I was put off as he was literally using a lot of Alex's 'bits' in the 1st series, the same exact awkward jokes and timing down to the line. He's come into his own though now and is a perfect mix of being wearily subservient to the whims of the cast while also being quite mischievous and very likeable at the same time.

Famous Mortimer

Episode 2 was fantastic, I love the mix of contestants and there was tons of funny stuff.

beanheadmcginty

Is there a YouTube link for ep 2 or will I have to descend into the bowels of Reddit?