Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:26:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Missing Doom

Started by Chedney Honks, December 03, 2020, 08:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

Anyone else see the light at the end of the tunnel and want to recoil into the gloom?

I will really miss the exponential layers of fuckdown weighing down like so many damp, warm blankets.

It has been the most wonderful time.

Fambo Number Mive

I won't miss it at all. Although I'll be surprised if cases per day will be even under 1,000 before the beginning of 2022, so we still have a lot of this to go.

It feels like the pandemic has made it easier for the government to bring in a second round of austerity, has increased pollution and the speed of climate change (with people switching from public transport to cars) and has made it easier for the government to distract from the issues caused by Brexit. It's also led to the proposal of a working from home tax and the shoring up of support for Johnson among his base.

I can't really see anything good that's come out of the pandemic.

Chedney Honks

GMTV

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 03, 2020, 10:10:43 AM
I won't miss it at all. Although I'll be surprised if cases per day will be even under 1,000 before the beginning of 2022, so we still have a lot of this to go.

It feels like the pandemic has made it easier for the government to bring in a second round of austerity, has increased pollution and the speed of climate change (with people switching from public transport to cars) and has made it easier for the government to distract from the issues caused by Brexit. It's also led to the proposal of a working from home tax and the shoring up of support for Johnson among his base.

I can't really see anything good that's come out of the pandemic.

Climate change increased by everyone staying at home, heating their houses all day, more Internet/tech, ordering stuff online to be delivered by car/vans.

non capisco

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 03, 2020, 08:20:59 AM
Anyone else see the light at the end of the tunnel and want to recoil into the gloom?

I will really miss the exponential layers of fuckdown weighing down like so many damp, warm blankets.

I'm now obsessed with the thought that I'm going to finally catch it in the next few weeks and will be in hospital wheezing my last breaths out as I look out of the window and see a load of smiling people queuing up for the vaccine. "Oh, bugger!"

ASFTSN

Not sure there's any shortage of gloom/doom anywhere around here...this is one of the most depressed places on the internet I know. I love it here but it honestly moves me a couple of notches up to panic attack or down to depressed as fuck sometimes...it's a flippin' gamble.

Chedney Honks

The trick is to go past the needle til doom and gloom make you go mmmmmm.

ASFTSN

Sounds a bit like deliberately re-opening a wound

Chedney Honks

After ten months of being battered by other people's stupidity, ignorance and selfishness, it's amazing I have anything like the trace of empathy that I do. On a humanistic level, I do really care, and I haven't stopped following my own community-first approach since weeks before the first lockdown, but I actually somewhat hope that a lot of selfish people die to teach them and other people like them a big lesson.

ASFTSN

I don't think that's how the selfish element in society learns lessons...and I'm not sure any outlook that hopes for anyone's death could be considered humanistic. I get where you're coming from I guess. I got accused by someone of being 'gleeful' about  the pandemic when in March I imagined there would be at least 40,000 deaths in the UK by the time this was over. It's very easy to get the wrong idea about people's outlook on this thing.

In conclusion I have no idea what point I'm trying to make.

ASFTSN

You were sad before the pandemic too

(so was I)

Alberon

Well, there's decades of economic doom to look forward to.

Does that make you feel any better?

Chedney Honks

It's not the same thing, unfortunately.

wooders1978

There was a bit of unbeat vibe in my town, cases are low, the town has managed to keep a lot of its shops and restaurants open and trading

So some arsehole kids have gone around destroying people's outside Christmas decorations just to keep the mood morbid

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 03, 2020, 08:20:59 AM

Of course. Hate the wanton destruction happiness and 'normality' brings.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: GMTV on December 03, 2020, 10:38:03 AM
Climate change increased by everyone staying at home, heating their houses all day, more Internet/tech, ordering stuff online to be delivered by car/vans.

Can you copy the published evidence on this, please?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Alberon on December 03, 2020, 05:25:40 PM
Well, there's decades of economic doom to look forward to.

Does that make you feel any better?

yes, us gloom-mongers are the ones who see the beauty in everything. Doomlords in white socks and sandals, I despise them.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 03, 2020, 06:18:28 PM
There was a bit of unbeat vibe in my town, cases are low, the town has managed to keep a lot of its shops and restaurants open and trading

So some arsehole kids have gone around destroying people's outside Christmas decorations just to keep the mood morbid

It's the liberal end of celebration that ruins everything. Selfish, patriotic, communal self-celebratory glibness. "Bring out your broom for London...Blitz Spirit".

bgmnts

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 03, 2020, 06:59:33 PM
Of course. Hate the wanton destruction happiness and 'normality' brings.

The amount of hate I've gotten for this view is staggering.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on December 03, 2020, 07:18:21 PM
The amount of hate I've gotten for this view is staggering.

Names, addresses.

Dex Sawash

poo

Coronovirs showed us the way, but unfortunately consumption and travel are gonna be off the fucking chart after we get jabbed.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: non capisco on December 03, 2020, 10:41:46 AM
I'm now obsessed with the thought that I'm going to finally catch it in the next few weeks and will be in hospital wheezing my last breaths out as I look out of the window and see a load of smiling people queuing up for the vaccine. "Oh, bugger!"

Yeah, like the poor saps who got shot at 10:59 on the 11th November 1918.

Mobius

Same, I'd just gotten used to it. Why do they have to keep mucking about with it?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mobius on December 04, 2020, 01:28:40 AM
Same, I'd just gotten used to it. Why do they have to keep mucking about with it?

So we can never truly find peace. It's intentional and malevolent.

Quote from: poo on December 03, 2020, 09:02:45 PM
Coronovirs showed us the way, but unfortunately consumption and travel are gonna be off the fucking chart after we get jabbed.

IN! for a repeat of the Swinging 20s.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on December 03, 2020, 09:10:46 PM
Yeah, like the poor saps who got shot at 10:59 on the 11th November 1918.

There is a war memorial near where I live and over 50% of the deaths are after 11th 11th 1918.

In fact:

There's also a memorial to a VC winner who fought off a tribe of cannibalistic pygmies. But that's another story.