Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:21:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Missing Doom

Started by Chedney Honks, December 03, 2020, 08:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Quote from: A Hat Like That on December 04, 2020, 10:51:23 AM
There is a war memorial near where I live and over 50% of the deaths are after 11th 11th 1918.
Infection, that sort of thing?

Thomas

Dex Sawash

buzby

Quote from: A Hat Like That on December 04, 2020, 10:51:23 AM
There is a war memorial near where I live and over 50% of the deaths are after 11th 11th 1918.
Many of the post-Armistice deaths were as a result of the Spanish Flu epidemic spreading through soldiers who were kept at the front or confined to barracks for months after the fighting stopped, primarily due to there being a maritime quarantine in place to prevent it's spread. My grandmother's older brother died of it in January 1919 while stationed in Alsace guarding the French/German border.

There were 20,000 Canadian troops confined to Kinmel Park Camp in North Wales after the war. In January 1919 a flu outbreak killed 78 of them and 2 nurses. The conditions and delay in being repatriated caused the men to mutiny, during which 5 more were shot dead and 23 injured.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47435100

Flu seems the most likely although deaths in 1921 do take us outside of when Spanish Flu really hit the UK.

Accidents in cleaning up the trenches/surrounding countryside?

You've also got British involvement in Russian Civil War to 1921, in Iraq (Summer 1920) and in Afghanistan (1919), so these are possible.

Quote from: Zetetic on December 04, 2020, 10:53:48 AM
Infection, that sort of thing?

So I went to the local museum and asked - and they had no idea. I am really curious, but also not that curious.

Dex Sawash

Probably the ones on tropical atolls who fought on without getting orders to stop.

Chedney Honks

I've really enjoyed working seventy hour weeks for ten months and feeling no emotions except when I watch Godzilla, Asian arthouse cinema or get in a fight.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: A Hat Like That on December 04, 2020, 01:23:51 PM
COVID-18 seems the most likely although deaths in 1921 do take us outside of when COVID-21 really hit the UK.

Accidents in cleaning up the trenches/surrounding countryside?

You've also got British involvement in Russian Civil War to 1921, in Iraq (Summer 1920) and in Afghanistan (1919), so these are possible.

FTFY

Chedney Honks

My uncle just died. Really proud of this country.

BlodwynPig

Chedney Honks

Not seen him in eight years but fucking shit nevertheless.

batwings

I will miss being able to think of my hermitage as noble rather than dysfunctional.

Chedney Honks

That's a great way to phrase this sentiment. I will no longer be able to be entirely self-serving in my free time and claim some moral high ground. I despair for the day that I have to go to another Christening or wedding or kids party. Hopefully we can get another year out or so out of the vaccine roll-out.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 05, 2020, 09:49:15 AM
That's a great way to phrase this sentiment. I will no longer be able to be entirely self-serving in my free time and claim some moral high ground. I despair for the day that I have to go to another Christening or wedding or kids party. Hopefully we can get another year out or so out of the vaccine roll-out.

or, freed from the shackles of social mores, we ambled alongside a primitive us, smiling in the stark reality of existence.

Chedney Honks

Love it. Forgot about this thread, then literally welled up today when I read a piece of depressing news and I said aloud, involuntarily:

TOTAL FUCKDOWN

And all the old feelings came flooding back. TFD for the lowlights, TFD for the laughs, TFD for staring despair in the face and howling like a mad cunt instead.

We're never going back to normal.

TOTAL FUCKDOWN

(LE FUCKDOWN TOTALE)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: A Hat Like That on December 04, 2020, 01:26:47 PM
So I went to the local museum and asked - and they had no idea. I am really curious, but also not that curious.

Useless fucking cunts

Chedney Honks

Do your fucking job, curators.

sirhenry

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 10, 2020, 07:19:10 PM
Do your fucking job, curators.

Aye

Such curiosity
Such ratings
wow

But when it comes to this
Pff

Mid-strata sludge, get them off the map

Chedney Honks

Come and experience a world of WONDER and bring the PAST back to LIFE

"Excuse me, where can I find the sarcophagus exhibition, please?"

You'll be wanting the museum shop and then the caff and then do one.

Chedney Honks

I can feel the DOOM creeping back...

🤫🤫🤫

chveik

he hasn't done anything really worthwile since "Mm Food"