Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:15:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I bought an NVIDIA RTX-3090.

Started by Paul Calf, December 03, 2020, 12:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

How fucking stupid am I? I know it's totally overkill (although it's a company purchase so I'll probably do some mining on it to help offset the cost) but fuck me is it beautiful. I have a full-4k monitor too.

I'd have bought a 3080 tbh, but the 3090 was what was available.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

How much and where from?

Weren't tempted to wait for a 6900xt?

Really fucking stupid. It's nowhere near enough of a leap over the 3080 to be worth the price hike, plus there's a 3080 Ti coming in January that'll make it look even worse.

Fuck's sake, Calf, you've absolutely fucked it this time. Unbelievable.

Paul Calf

If I could have got a 3080 I would have. The 3090 was there, waiting for me to pluck it.

You won't get a 3080ti in your hand this side of Summer 2021.

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on December 03, 2020, 12:44:36 PM
How much and where from?

Amazon. I was just scouring the listings in the hope they I might snag one and there it was. And 24GB of video memory isn't a trivial difference.

It was cheaper than the one I had on pre-order from Ovetclockers, but not by much.

Chedney Honks

Paul Calf

Quote from: Paul Calf on December 03, 2020, 04:03:07 PM
If I could have got a 3080 I would have. The 3090 was there, waiting for me to pluck it.

You won't get a 3080ti in your hand this side of Summer 2021.

Amazon. I was just scouring the listings in the hope they I might snag one and there it was. And 24GB of video memory isn't a trivial difference.

It was cheaper than the one I had on pre-order from Ovetclockers, but not by much.

That's 'overclockers' obviously.

Paul Calf

touchingcloth

gmoney

Quote from: Paul Calf on December 03, 2020, 04:03:07 PMIt was cheaper than the one I had on pre-order from Ovetclockers, but not by much.

"dhere 'e is!"

Fucks sake, they made me watch a 30 second spidercunt advert in order to upload that. That's imgur on the naughty list.

Enjoy your luxury superwow at silky smooth framerates, Paul. You deserve it. Don't listen to them.

Sebastian Cobb

You'll get really smooth high-def cock fallout on Cyberpunk 2020.

wasp_f15ting

I'll join you mate.. how lovely are those 45fps on cp2077 though ;)

Paul Calf

I gave up on CyberJunk a few weeks ago. Can't play it.

gmoney

Quote from: gmoney on December 09, 2020, 12:37:25 PM
Where the fuck can I get a 3080?

Still whispering this, daily. Given up on getting one in the next 6 months.

mobias

I got an RTX3080 just before Christmas. I followed instructions on how to get one I read on another gaming forum and it worked but it depends on how badly you want one. Basically just take a day off work and sit at your PC refreshing the pages of all the main UK PC stores literally every 10 seconds or so. Start at 9am and and just keep refreshing the pages.

You need to be signed in to each store and have one click purchase set up because once a 3080 gets listed you have literally seconds to check out with it, because remember there are lots and lots of other people doing the same thing. I twice got as far as having a 3080 all the way to check out only to find it had gone from my basket by the time I was ready to pay. You have to be really, really quick. Its quite nerve wracking.

You have to be not fussy about what card you'll take and not particularly fussy about what you're willing to pay. I finally got lucky at Novatech with a Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme RTX3080. Its pretty much the highest end overclocked 3080 you can get and it cost me 950 quid. Like I said though you need to be not too fussy about price and model. Even old graphics cards are selling well at the moment on eBay. I offset the cost of my 3080 by selling my old GTX1080 and getting £350 for it.   

I've read a few people say doing the whole page refresh thing works better on Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays because those are apparently the days where stores tend to get their stock listed after they take deliveries early in the week. I got my card on a Thursday.

My 3080 is a total beast of a card though. The raytracing on Cyberpunk is pretty incredible. I can see what all the fuss is about. One thing you need to consider is what CPU you've got. I started off pairing my 3080 with my old i7 7700. Which was fine for Cyberpunk because its a GPU heavy game. With Red Dead 2 and Flight Sim 2020 they're much more CPU heavy so to get the most out of the 3080 I had to recently upgrade to a Ryzen 5 5600X. Such a big difference. Even RDR2 is pretty much locked at 60FPS at 4K with everything on ultra.

peanutbutter

Quote from: mobias on March 07, 2021, 04:47:12 PM
Even old graphics cards are selling well at the moment on eBay. I offset the cost of my 3080 by selling my old GTX1080 and getting £350 for it.
Fucking hell you're not wrong, the RX580 I bought in November is now going for upwards off 300 used, think I paid 135 new

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I managed sell I borked RTX 2080ti for £400. Fuck knows why people are buying it for that money!