Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:39:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Freaky (2020)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 03, 2020, 07:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

A bodyswap comedy from the director of Happy Death Day and it's sequel, it has a horror twist as the set up is that The Butcher (Vince Vaughn) tries to kill Millie (Kathryn Newton) but uses a fancy special knife to do it and hey, what do you know, suddenly they've swapped bodies. The rest of the film is a selection of long, drawn out masturbation scenes, with Vince Vaughn pretending to be a girl while fucking a watermelon, a horse and several cows, while Kathryn Newton just sticks her fingers in her cunt, but for like, bloody ages. 2.2/10.

Fine, fine, the body swap thing is true, but bar a brief scene where the girl seems confused by
Spoiler alert
breasts and Vince Vaughan's possessed killer describes
[close]
his penis
Spoiler alert
as "Like a floppy ant eater" they ignore the sex side of things, and it's your standard teen horror except that Vaughan pretends to be girlish. The joke wears a little thin towards the end but most of the time it's amusing, nothing amazing but it is certainly watchable though it's a shame there weren't a few more twists towards the end and it wasn't so predictable
[close]

JamesTC

Sounds like it doesn't have enough edge to it to differentiate it from the Rob Schneider film which was kind of the same thing but with a petty thief instead of a murderer.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm unaware of that, but it is frustrating that it's mostly predictable fare, there's the odd original idea but most of the time it relies on Vince Vaughn being silly (which to be fair he does very well).

zomgmouse

I wrote about it in the horror thread:

Quote from: zomgmouse on November 18, 2020, 12:53:04 AM
Went to the drive-in for the first time in my life (which also happened to be the first time going to the cinema in almost a year due to covid lockdown) and watched Freaky, the latest film by Christopher Landon of Happy Death Day fame. As the title suggests the central gimmick is a body-swap, but here a high school student swaps bodies with a serial killer on the loose. Heaps of fun, much of it coming from the absolute relish with which Vince Vaughn embraces playing a teenage girl. It's kind of inconsequential but an absolute blast.

I am now determined to like this film more based on how much you despised it!

Dex Sawash

Gonna watch this followed by Friday

zomgmouse

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 04, 2020, 12:51:00 AM
Gonna watch this followed by Friday

You say this, but this is essentially already Freaky Friday the 13th.

Twonty Gostelow

Saw the trailer a while ago and apart from thinking if any inexperienced writer pitched this they'd be laughed out of town, I wondered if 'Sassy Horror' was an official genre now. Although I did enjoy Happy Death Day so maybe the trailer is misleading.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on December 04, 2020, 12:50:34 AM
I wrote about it in the horror thread:

I am now determined to like this film more based on how much you despised it!

Oh I didn't despise it (and just realised now I forgot to grade it properly, and would give it 6.3/10), I just felt frustrated as it comes so close to being a really great film, but didn't quite manage it for me, it's a fair amount of fun, but a few more twists, a higher death count and a slightly smarter script and I'd have loved it.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: zomgmouse on December 04, 2020, 12:52:35 AM
You say this, but this is essentially already Freaky Friday the 13th.

I think that was in fact the working title (came up with it first, no doubt, then worked out the story from there), but the people who own the Friday the 13th copyright weren't having it.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on December 04, 2020, 04:19:54 PM
I think that was in fact the working title (came up with it first, no doubt, then worked out the story from there), but the people who own the Friday the 13th copyright weren't having it.
Isn't there some sort of copyright feud going on over it? I was reading about Clive Barker getting the rights to Hellraiser back the other day, and that got mentioned.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 04, 2020, 09:04:48 AM
Oh I didn't despise it (and just realised now I forgot to grade it properly, and would give it 6.3/10), I just felt frustrated as it comes so close to being a really great film, but didn't quite manage it for me, it's a fair amount of fun, but a few more twists, a higher death count and a slightly smarter script and I'd have loved it.

Oh I saw your joke rating and thought it was your real one - d'oh! I agree with you on the whole but I think I still had more fun with it than you did (so ner ner I win).

Rev+

Weird one, this.  It opens as a splatterfest with some explicit bad murders, but by about halfway in loses interest in the horror element and tones things right down, almost becoming a TV edit of the film you started watching.  Good fun but yes, it needed some kind of twist or extra element, as the poster for the thing tells you the entire story.

dissolute ocelot

I kind of believe that Vince Vaughn is a very good actor when he can be bothered (particularly in the sleazier/grimier roles), it's just that he would rather hang around with his mates and have a laugh. Hopefully this will lead to a series of films in which he swaps bodies with an old lady, a Brazilian street urchin, a meerkat, and Shakin Stevens, and everyone will appreciate his acting genius. I've not seen this but will watch it and any sequels.