Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,361
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:14:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Warners To Release All Their Films On HBO Max And The Cinema...

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 03, 2020, 08:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

...At the same time! The idiots!

QuoteWarner Bros. Smashes Box Office Windows, Will Send Entire 2021 Slate to HBO Max and Theaters

In an unprecedented announcement, the studio will send 17 films — including 'The Matrix 4,' 'The Suicide Squad' and 'Dune' to its streaming service for 31 days the same day they hit theaters.
Warner Bros. is plotting a sweeping response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, which has shuttered movie theaters around the country. After announcing that Wonder Woman 1984 will go to HBO Max as well as theaters on Dec. 25, the studio has laid out a similar path for its 2021 slate amid uncertainty about when movie-going will get back to normal.

The studio announced Thursday day-and-date releases for its 17-film slate, which will hit HBO Max for a one-month window that starts the same day they will be available in U.S. theaters.

The studio's 2021 slate includes projects such as The Suicide Squad, The Matrix 4, Dune, Godzilla vs. Kong and Space Jam: A New Legacy. Other films include Little Things, Judas and the Black Messiah, Tom & Jerry, Mortal Kombat, Those Who Wish Me Dead, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, In The Heights, Reminiscence, Malignant, The Many Saints of Newark, King Richard and Cry Macho.

The unprecedented move is likely to catch theater owners off guard and upsets a model that has been in place for decades. Warner Bros. stresses that these are pandemic-only rules, but once something is broken, can you really put it back together again? This also raises serious concerns about the landscape of movie-going in 2021.

Toby Emmerich, Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman, argued the move would be good for the theatrical business in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter.

"It allows us to do a global release and a national release in what we think is going to be a checkerboarded theatrical market place for the bulk of 2021," Emmerich told THR. "We think where theaters are open, and consumers can go, that a lot of people will choose to go to the theater, especially for big movies."

Despite word of coming vaccines, the company decided to put the entire 2021 slate on HBO Max after consulting with epidemiologists. Emmerich said the move was "to guarantee as many movies as we could for the year for the global theatrical marketplace"

Sources say these discussions were kept close to the vest and not shared with many exhibitors. Warner Bros. will likely have to agree to far more generous terms with theater owners to avoid them boycotting their films. Insiders say the Wonder Woman 1984 split of ticket sales is far better for exhibitors than normal. Sources also say the studio did not inform partners such as Legendary, which has Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong, that their films were included in this plan.

Emmerich would not comment on possible terms the studio might give theaters to show these films. He also noted he was excited for other studios to share their own plans, saying, "having movies out there is good for cinemas."

In a statement announcing the news, Ann Sarnoff, CEO, WarnerMedia Studios and Networks Group, cited "unprecedented times" that "call for creative solutions."

"No one wants films back on the big screen more than we do," said Sarnoff. "We know new content is the lifeblood of theatrical exhibition, but we have to balance this with the reality that most theaters in the U.S. will likely operate at reduced capacity throughout 2021. With this unique one-year plan, we can support our partners in exhibition with a steady pipeline of world-class films, while also giving moviegoers who may not have access to theaters or aren't quite ready to go back to the movies the chance to see our amazing 2021 films. We see it as a win-win for film lovers and exhibitors, and we're extremely grateful to our filmmaking partners for working with us on this innovative response to these circumstances."

"After considering all available options and the projected state of moviegoing throughout 2021, we came to the conclusion that this was the best way for WarnerMedia's motion picture business to navigate the next 12 months," said WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar in a statement. "More importantly, we are planning to bring consumers 17 remarkable movies throughout the year, giving them the choice and the power to decide how they want to enjoy these films. Our content is extremely valuable, unless it's sitting on a shelf not being seen by anyone. We believe this approach serves our fans, supports exhibitors and filmmakers, and enhances the HBO Max experience, creating value for all."

"This hybrid exhibition model enables us to best support our films, creative partners and moviegoing in general throughout 2021," said Emmerich in a statement. "We have a fantastic, wide-ranging slate of titles from talented and visionary filmmakers next year, and we're excited to be able get these movies in front of audiences around the world. And, as always, we'll support all of our releases with innovative and robust marketing campaigns for their theatrical debuts, while highlighting this unique opportunity to see our films domestically via HBO Max as well."

HBO Max is only available in the United States, and Warners' 2021 slate will roll out internationally in theaters as planned.  The move comes after Warners released Christopher Nolan's Tenet in theaters this summer amid challenges faced by the pandemic.

Universal has already shortened theatrical windows via its unique VOD plan, which was put in place because of the pandemic.

When asked how long it took to get to this decision and to gain the support from across the company, Emmerich noted, "It took a minute as a company."

"We have these movies just sitting on the shelf," said Emmerich. "Consumers are starved for content."

It'll certainly make piracy more popular, that's for sure, and may bring about the death of a couple more cinema chains, and the whole thing seems a bit odd considering with the various vaccines it feels like we're close(ish) to the end of the Pandemic, and at least by next Summer you'd think you could go to the cinema without worrying it might kill you.

magval

They're bound to release Wonder Woman 2 over here as well, why take the risk of people nicking it when you could charge like £16 on Prime? Were any of this year's earlier releases WB films, like the Hunt and Invisible Man?

I'd pay £16 to watch that Christmas night if they let me, elseways I'll be watching on boxing Day for nahin.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 03, 2020, 08:47:39 PM
It'll certainly make piracy more popular, that's for sure, and may bring about the death of a couple more cinema chains, and the whole thing seems a bit odd considering with the various vaccines it feels like we're close(ish) to the end of the Pandemic, and at least by next Summer you'd think you could go to the cinema without worrying it might kill you.

In California, anyway, the sentiment is that even with a vaccine we will still need to wear masks and socially distance until cases reach practically zero. Cinemas were already struggling here, so I doubt many outside of yer AMC/Regals will survive.[nb]As someone currently dealing with current film/TV regulations in California for work, I could go into how staggeringly full of shit a lot of it is - suffice to say, film & TV production is considered an "essential business" by Governor Newsom, but for all the wrong reasons.[/nb]

"Normal" is expected to resume sometime in 2022, but I think it depends on a lot of political things that will go on in 2021. I think we'll see a big slowdown in production of big-budget movies, and the ones that were already underway will probably get releases a bit like this. In a way, it could be beneficial for the film industry overall, since they'll be less likely to just pump out any old shit. On the bad side of things, it's practically illegal to make films in the US unless you have a huge budget and infrastructure to ensure COVID protocols are followed, so we won't have many independent films to look forward to for a while.

greenman

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 03, 2020, 08:47:39 PMIt'll certainly make piracy more popular, that's for sure, and may bring about the death of a couple more cinema chains, and the whole thing seems a bit odd considering with the various vaccines it feels like we're close(ish) to the end of the Pandemic, and at least by next Summer you'd think you could go to the cinema without worrying it might kill you.

I wouldn't be surprised if there looking to use the situation to their advantage here and think they might be better off without the cinema monopoly even if things get back to normal.

Glebe

Yeah, was just about to post about this. Hmmm. Yeah, I see them doing a U-turn with this if theatres start reopening en masse at some point next year.

peanutbutter

I find it weird they're all so eager to do this. Feel like a big part of what has made blockbusters blockbusters in the last decade or so has been the absolutely massive opening weekends, a whole load of people preordering their tickets weeks in advance to gather in a huge room together and get swept up in the excitement.

You go to streaming you lose all of that and you've high quality clips of the key scenes flying about twitter et al within minutes. Like, they really need to have a plan for how their major films are gonna change to suit the new medium and there's no way they can have that without years of testing the waters.

Noodle Lizard

One additional point to make is that, for the past decade or two, China has been the single most profitable territory when it comes to box office. I'm not entirely sure how it looks COVID-wise over there, but if they're still going to the movies it makes sense that some US studios might be fine resting on that revenue for a while and picking up whatever they can domestically. Any money passing between HBO and Warner Bros is probably entirely written off anyway, and it might even benefit the studios to be able to put themselves in the red with a good "saving lives" excuse.

I'm not pretending to know, of course, but I'm sure they wouldn't make any moves without being fairly certain it's the most profitable thing to do.

Mister Six

Basically WB has the option of taking a bath on cinema releases because the masses aren't going into a cinema (outside of moronic states like Oklahoma or wherever) or hold off all their films until 2022 at the earliest.

Meanwhile, the (genuinely excellent) streaming service that could have been their lifeline through all this Covid horror had a totally bungled marketing campaign and was considered a flop.

So for WB this makes sense - get people hooked on $15-a-month HBO Max subscriptions with the promise of sexy new films and rake in the cash for years to come once people realise what a genuinely good deal it is (or when they don't get around to cancelling it), and when they spread the word about what's on the service. And that money goes straight into their coffers without having to be shared with the 20 theatres that are still open in the US.

As for piracy, it's not like a bunch of studios haven't been releasing straight to digital for the past few months anyway. And it's not about just maximising the profits off a single film - it's about assisting their entire brand and wider business model.

They're just putting these on HBO Max, not charging $$ to rent them? That's quite surprising. Almost seems like a deliberate attempt to kneecap theaters while they are weak.

Mister Six

Nah. It's all about leveraging internal synergy to create intra-brand vertical paradigms, or whatever daft words some cunt wood use to say "Get the plebs on our streaming service."

I guess that's possible given that the movies are all sunk costs at this point, but in that case they must be resigned to just taking an enormous loss on all of these movies.

greenman

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on December 04, 2020, 03:52:17 AM
They're just putting these on HBO Max, not charging $$ to rent them? That's quite surprising. Almost seems like a deliberate attempt to kneecap theaters while they are weak.

Not that surprising, all the big media groups are desperate to grow their streaming service in the short term.

Butchers Blind

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Butchers Blind on December 04, 2020, 10:58:46 AM
Will the Bond film be released on Hulu?

Come, come, Mr Bond. You enjoy being released on Hulu as much as I do.

Dex Sawash

I reckon some will be an extra fee like Mulan was on D+. This is OK because it will stop me watching a load of shit. (HBOmax is a "free" bonus with my internet svc)

Dropshadow

The big entertainment companies are looking for Californian state and federal government handouts to the tune of zillions of dollars "to keep them from bankruptcy" and the mass unemployment that would ensue. This show of generosity is probably an attempt to further the chance of them getting it. How, I don't know, but it's going to be fun to see what happens.

Mister Six

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on December 04, 2020, 04:57:31 AM
I guess that's possible given that the movies are all sunk costs at this point, but in that case they must be resigned to just taking an enormous loss on all of these movies.

Well, I mean... [indicates global pandemic]

I bet kittens is correct that they will still charge $ through HBO Max.

wooders1978

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on December 05, 2020, 03:45:03 AM
I bet kittens is correct that they will still charge $ through HBO Max.
Disney did with Mulan on Disney+ and the model worked

Mister Six

Maybe, but I doubt it. Disney+ was a massive success from the off. HBO Max has struggled due to a totally fucked marketing campaign (and not having Roku/Firestick access, and coming out around the same time as D+) despite being the best streaming service in the US. This is an opportunity for them to get people bedded in for the rest of the pandemic. Charging $15 for a month's subscription and $16 on top of that would be fucking stupid.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Glebe

I only skimmed this article, but it suggests Legendary Entertainment could be considering legal action against Warners:

Bart & Fleming: While WGA, CAA & WME Fight In Court, Streamers Rewrite Movie Paydays; Will Legendary Challenge WarnerMedia Over 'Dune' & Godzilla Vs. Kong' HBO Max Move?

Apparently The Batman is an exception to the HBO plan and will get a theatre-only release initially. We'll see.

mjwilson

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 07, 2020, 01:44:28 PM
Disney did with Mulan on Disney+ and the model worked

I thought the reports were that it hadn't worked and probably hadn't brought in that much money?

Glebe

Christopher Nolan Rips HBO Max as "Worst Streaming Service," Denounces Warner Bros.' Plan.

Quote"Some of our industry's biggest filmmakers and most important movie stars went to bed the night before thinking they were working for the greatest movie studio and woke up to find out they were working for the worst streaming service," filmmaker Christopher Nolan, whose relationship with Warners dates back to Insomnia in 2002, said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.

Added Nolan: "Warner Bros. had an incredible machine for getting a filmmaker's work out everywhere, both in theaters and in the home, and they are dismantling it as we speak. They don't even understand what they're losing. Their decision makes no economic sense, and even the most casual Wall Street investor can see the difference between disruption and dysfunction."

Surely they're having second thoughts about this now?

phantom_power

Maybe it is a bit like that publicity stunt that Walkers used to do where they "retired" crisp flavour so that there would be uproar and people would realise how much they liked prawn cocktail or whatever.

touchingcloth

Butchers Blind

bgmnts

I hope the people at HBO will be sending round a few cunts to rustle packaging and talk loudly during the films.

evilcommiedictator

To me it's really fucking galling that the movies are being delayed because America is fucked. With everything going OK, Europe and Asia should be OK by the middle of the year, let alone us here in the Pacific, but no, we wait because of fucking Americans

Mister Six