Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:58:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Warners To Release All Their Films On HBO Max And The Cinema...

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 03, 2020, 08:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

13 schoolyards

Some industry insider type pointed out that Warners hasn't yet confirmed exactly how much money the film-makers will be getting now that their movies are largely bypassing the cinemas. I suspect a lot of these complaints about Warners killing the movies will quietly vanish if they all get the Wonder Woman 84 deal, which supposedly was pretty generous.

mjwilson

I thought that they weren't getting that deal though?  Aren't people suing (or at least threatening to sue) for that reason?

13 schoolyards

Quote from: mjwilson on December 13, 2020, 04:24:48 PM
I thought that they weren't getting that deal though?  Aren't people suing (or at least threatening to sue) for that reason?

I don't think they've been offered *any* deal as yet - the point was that a lot of the current shit-talking could be more about them maneuvering to get a good deal from streaming than actual anger about "the death of cinema".

I'm sure there are a lot of directors who want to be movie directors and not content providers and their outrage is real, but in Hollywood when there's money involved usually that explains a lot of why people act they way they do

Mister Six

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on December 14, 2020, 04:54:17 AM
I don't think they've been offered *any* deal as yet

Jenkins and Gadot got $10 mil each for Wonder Woman 2. I imagine at this point the other directors will have been offered some kind of cash, although probably considerably less than those two, on account of the likes of Dune being a markedly less certain blockbuster than the sequel to WW.

Wonder if this will make Dune successful enough to warrant a sequel, but also put off Villeneuve from continuing the story? That would be a sad irony.

(FWIW, I can certainly see both him and Nolan being upset about a shift away from the big screen as they're both technical nerds who make good use of the space, albeit substantially less competently in Nolan's case.)

greenman

They should push for UHD disk releases on the same date if they want to offer home viewers as close to cinema quality as possible.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Mister Six on December 14, 2020, 05:05:14 AM
Jenkins and Gadot got $10 mil each for Wonder Woman 2. I imagine at this point the other directors will have been offered some kind of cash, although probably considerably less than those two, on account of the likes of Dune being a markedly less certain blockbuster than the sequel to WW.

Wonder if this will make Dune successful enough to warrant a sequel, but also put off Villeneuve from continuing the story? That would be a sad irony.

(FWIW, I can certainly see both him and Nolan being upset about a shift away from the big screen as they're both technical nerds who make good use of the space, albeit substantially less competently in Nolan's case.)

Reportedly the WW84 deal was seen as being on the high side of what the director & star would have got if the film had received the usual cinema release, probably because it was (as you say) a sure thing and also to keep everyone happy about a shift to a "lesser" format.

The problem for Warners now is that they've set a benchmark based on probably their biggest and most sure-fire money earner. Logically everyone else should get less, but it's very doubtful anyone will be happy with that, especially as it's Warners themselves saying "we don't think your film will be as successful / worth as much to us".

dissolute ocelot

I wonder if they could do a deal saying "we'll give you $1 for every n viewings on HBO Max", rather than an up-front cash payment. That would throw in lots of fun accounting/data-collecting stuff.

SteveDave

When will WW1984 be "available"? All the ones on Knaben Database aren't "WW1984"

Small Man Big Horse

It's on HBO Max from Christmas Day so if it doesn't leak before it'll definitely do so then.

Bad Ambassador

It's coming to premium video on demand in the UK on 13 January.

Saw WW84 a couple of days ago at the cinema.  It was ok - well-made mid-level superhero fare.  Which means it will be several leagues above 'The Snyder Cut'

SteveDave

Where are these pirates on Cmas Day? My son wants to watch Wonder Woman 1984 despite not having seen the previous 1,982 films.

Small Man Big Horse

It's on at 9pm in the US, so your son won't be able to see it until tomorrow I'm afraid.

Pixar's latest, Soul, is out now though so he could watch that. Or he could join me on my Preston Sturges-athon, he should love them if you've not raised him badly.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 25, 2020, 03:59:55 PM
It's on at 9pm in the US, so your son won't be able to see it until tomorrow I'm afraid.

Actually it was 9am US time (PT/12ET), it's already out for download!

Small Man Big Horse

Damnit, I came so close to ruining SteveDave's child's Christmas! Which is exactly what I asked for Christmas from Father Christmas!

SteveDave

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 25, 2020, 05:16:37 PM
Damnit, I came so close to ruining SteveDave's child's Christmas! Which is exactly what I asked for Christmas from Father Christmas!

You sir are worse than Farage.

What are the odds that WB made this decision (at least in part) because they knew WW84 was going to be a critical flop?

greenman

Honestly Dune does seem better suited to a home release in terms of potential audience as well similar to Blade Runner 2049.

evilcommiedictator

Especially since Dune is going to end on a cliffhanger of Impending Future Doom (as opposed to the current in-exile doom)?

greenman

I suspect Dune is more likely to get a sequel as a subscription builder than it would have as a cinema only release.