Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:34:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Matt Morgan podcast on Patreon

Started by Hat FM, December 04, 2020, 03:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hat FM

does anyone else listen to this podcast fronted by Matt Morgan, writer of the mimic and mr winner and Russell Brand collaborator? it was previously a radio x pod but i don't think they were making any cash so Matt brought it over to Patreon for a fiver a month.

he puts out a pod a week which is normally about 2 hours in duration. he normally has guests like Noel Gallagher or this guy who is into the outdoor life and they just chat about stuff. I find Matt has a really funny way of looking at things and really look forward to the pod every week.

If you're a fan of Matt's from the old Russell Brand podcasts then i imagine you would like it. He deleted his instagram a while back and has no social media so i'm guessing he isn't getting much pick up of new listeners. big recommend from me anyway.

I should point out that i am not in any way affiliated with the podcast.

Thosworth

I'm subscribed to his Funny How podcast, and just checked - the last episode, 20, was in June. I assumed he'd just stopped doing them. Strange that he didn't put out a podcast advertising the Patreon (especially as ads for two completely different podcasts downloaded as episodes recently). I had no idea the Patreon even existed.

Sin Agog

I hope that viral clip of Noel being even thickerheaded than his wooden doppleganger, Parker, increased the listenership to some extent, but I'm not sure many people clocked it was from Morgan's podcast.

Dusty Substance

Yeah, I've been meaning to subscribe to his Patreon after Funny How ended on Radio X.

I only knew of the new Patreon podcast as it was there where Noely G revealed that he doesn't wear a mask.

Really ought to get into it as Matt often has good stories to tell and I enjoyed hearing his sitcom writing tips on Funny How. Not surprised he deleted his Insta. Having a social media account didn't really suit his personality.

Pin pin!

SteveDave

I am a Patreon member and it's been a consistently great listen.

His weird story ones where it's just him talking about odd things that he's experienced have been really interesting.

I could do without the wilderness man though and I lasted 20 minutes of Gordon Smart saying how tough it was working at The Sun before I deleted the episode.

Noelly G is always good for a few hours of nonsense too.

SteveDave

Also, there's no music or jumps in sound levels so it's good to fall asleep listening to.

TommyTurnips

I discovered the patreon a couple of months back after listening to funny how until it suddenly stopped with no explanation. Matt explains on the patron podcasts however that he was waiting for advertisers to come along and fund the show but this never happened so he started the patreon. Strange how he didn't promote the patreon on the radio x podcast but I imagine that this might have been frowned upon by the powers that be.

It's a great show if you're a fan of the old Russell Brand shows, I always look forward to listening to new episodes when they come out.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: TommyTurnips on December 06, 2020, 12:18:00 PM

It's a great show if you're a fan of the old Russell Brand shows

They were so great, weren't they? I never rated Brand as a stand-up but those radio shows were such fun to listen to. A great formula (Matt, the best friend to keep Russell grounded. Trevor, the intellectual geek for the other two to 'bully'), often some really interesting guests (I remember the Will Self episode was especially good) and the shows acted as a document for Brand's rise to worldwide fame.

I have a tough time trying to convince fellow comedy fans that the radio show really is worth getting into. Unless it was one of those "you had to be there at the time" kind of experiences?

TommyTurnips

It really was a great show, unlike anything else on the radio at all. Completely chaotic with a last day of school/teacher is out of the room feel to it. The banter between Matt and Russ, the stories from the old days, the boat story, the van story, boot through a ceiling, pin pin, the crow in the wall, it was all gold. I remember I found it when i got into the car one Saturday evening and radio 2 came on and it was Russell and Matt giving advice to a female caller on what to do about a group of old men perving on women in the swimming pool and from then on I listened to the whole archive of episodes. If you listen to the patreon there's one with poet laureate Mr G telling his experiences of the radio show and stories from Russell's wedding. It was so good to hear G's side of the story as he didn't get to say that much on the show other than reading the poem at the end.

jofo

Im a subscriber and I have no Idea how I  found out about his patreon.

I don't even think Matt talked about it on his short lived IG, which is how bad the promotion of it was.

I have no problem throwing Matt £6 a month for his podcasts as I have been hugh fan for so long. So it's good to show some thanks and still get content too. Although the Idea of wild camping is starting to creep into my thoughts and it may get me killed.

I think the more it goes on the more little details and slithers of truth will slip out..
e.g  On the BBC2 show, when listing Famous people who had been on 1leicester square show, Matt did a little pause when Jonny Knoxville was mentioned and and  muttered" ...He was a Dark character wasn't he?" to Russ... what happened there?

yeah.. less Gordon Smart please....

Hat FM

Quote from: SteveDave on December 05, 2020, 06:21:43 PM
I am a Patreon member and it's been a consistently great listen.

His weird story ones where it's just him talking about odd things that he's experienced have been really interesting.

I could do without the wilderness man though and I lasted 20 minutes of Gordon Smart saying how tough it was working at The Sun before I deleted the episode.

Noelly G is always good for a few hours of nonsense too.

My thoughts exactly. the wilderness guy gets a bit tiresome but i guess that is what Matt is into. i worry that Noel might not have the time to appear on the pod once things get back to normal. I read an article on nme.com the other day in which it stated that Noel had revealed some of the info he did on the pod in an interview with the daily star! funny they have some hacks subscribing to get some stories on noel. I didnt mind the Gordon Smart pod. the story about Simon Cowell was a bit of an eye opener.

Bence Fekete

Those Brand shows are def due a relisten.

I was enjoying the lockdown solo MM stuff but got a bit sick of brexit noel and the reliance on his blokey/bland/fuck everyone who isn't as rich as me humour. Admirable that MM stood up to him often enough but sometimes he would laugh a bit like a sycophant and that's just too much/unlistenable for me. It seemed, unless I'm misremembering, like Brand was actually more prepared to call him out on his cuntiness more often.

And this is indeed a shame and a loss because listening to MM's brain is in general a very good idea. I hope he finds his ideal pod-partner out there and roars back into the mainstream.

SteveDave

I've been re-listening to the "Funny How" shows as I fall asleep but I had to turn off the one with "Big" Tom Davis the other night as I was shaking the bed laughing at his story about meeting Jackie Chan with the sidebar of Frank Bruno. The thought of burglars stealing the photo of the 6 foot tall 12 year old Tom and Frank Bruno as well as the family TV was too much for my sleepy mind.

TommyTurnips

Quote from: thugler on January 05, 2021, 10:00:02 PM
Is this patreon only then?

Yeah he stopped doing funny how as there was no advertisers or ad revenue coming in, so now I sling Matt £5 a month on patreon to listen to the podcasts. Seems fair.

Hat FM

well this was the last place that i was expecting the Madalorian to be spoilt for me.

edit: the pod i mean, not this thread.

SteveDave

This week it's Gordon fucking Smart again.

I wasn't going to listen but I can't sleep so gave it a go and was pleasantly surprised to learn that he's had Coronavirus and lost his job at Radio X. He also talks about being hit by a boxer and doing some fake abduction thing where some Army men near tortured him. So it gave me some comfort.

It's Jimmy Carr next week. Sweet Jesus.

Hat FM

tbh we might get to see a different side of jimmy carr at least. i would prefer that to the guy that talks about camping gear for two hours.

SteveDave

Quote from: Hat FM on February 05, 2021, 11:37:34 AM
tbh we might get to see a different side of jimmy carr at least. i would prefer that to the guy that talks about camping gear for two hours.

You can feel how much Matt loves talking to him but he's such a worrisome turd. I've never seen what he looks like (he looks like a rat man) and there's a clip on his YouTube where he and Matt are homoerotically grabbing each other and trying to push the other into some water.

Hat FM

i think the listenership know that Matt is a bit sensitive (aren't we all?) so would never comment "this fucking guy again" when camping man is on the pod. Camping man even suggests sometimes that what they are talking about is a bit niche but Matt seems to think we are all into it. Maybe some people are. i wouldnt mind him getting some of the other people back on like Roisin Connaughty or even Rob Beckett. maybe they aren't interested.

SteveDave

I commented on my hatred of Gordon Smart on the Matt Morgan Discord page today. My first ever post. Probably my last.

TommyTurnips

So what is it that we don't like about Gordon Smart? Not that I'm his biggest fan, I mean the fact that he worked for a tabloid newspaper makes him pretty unlikable from the start. He doesn't sound too bad as a podcast guest though. I've definitely heard worse.

gmoney

I've not heard the podcast eps with him, but when Matt was on the Gordon Smart XFM shows a couple of years ago I listened to those. He struck me a a total bellend then. Constantly shoehorning in that he'd a drunken night out but with no interesting anecdotes to go with it, never said anything particularly witty. He just grated. A lot.

I don't subscribe to the Patreon any longer (I probably will again some day, I did like it mostly) but Hazey also got on my wick. Again, lots of "cor how drunk was I"? chat, but with no real good story behind it. I've got less than no interest in outdoors type stuff as well so that didn't help. I feel a bit bad because he does seem like a decent guy (unlike Smart who seems like a prick).

I mostly enjoyed the ones where Matt told a tale from his life with no guest. The Terry Mynott one was brilliant too.

Hat FM

Quote from: SteveDave on February 05, 2021, 07:45:21 PM
I commented on my hatred of Gordon Smart on the Matt Morgan Discord page today. My first ever post. Probably my last.

ooh what happened?

the terry mynott one was good. wonder why he hasnt been on again.

SteveDave

Quote from: Hat FM on February 08, 2021, 09:59:42 AM
ooh what happened?

I had one fellow vehemently agreeing with my outlook and a few saying "I found his first episode to be very insightful"

SteveDave

Quote from: gmoney on February 06, 2021, 01:26:23 PM
I mostly enjoyed the ones where Matt told a tale from his life with no guest. The Terry Mynott one was brilliant too.

The one where he goes to (insert Eastern European country) was amazing. The whole thing about taking a photo of the stripper in the nightclub and almost being battered by the bouncers.

Hat FM

i thought Gordon smart had a few good stories on the first one but the second one was quite dull. would imagine he has loads of great stories from his time at that scummy newspaper.

SteveDave

The last few episodes have been truly awful.

An "Untold Stories" where the last 30 minutes is Matt trying to describe the things he could see when he took DMT. One of the most inarticulate and frustrating things I've ever heard on a podcast.

And then two (2) two hours plus episodes of him and Nico Tatarowicz sounding drunk doing shitty impressions.

I understand that the quality dips in all podcasts but this is taking the piss.

jofo

I agree, I love Matt... but a whole 2 hours of him and Nico trying and falling to do impressions was hard going.
Still can't all be bangers and I'm glad to have a break from Hazey and Noel.

I sure as fuck couldnt do what he does though.  Fair Play.

Hat FM

yeah really bad recently. i dont go on the dischord but i hope it isnt all people telling Matt how hilarious it is to hear him and Nico doing impressions of people that the unfunny guy at work does (Partridge etc). i'm sure some of the stories in the last untold tales pod have been told in earlier matt morgan pods aswell, if not definitely on the russell brand show.

Thinking about it he is under pressure to keep it good every week as if it isnt then people will unsubscribe and, due to the lack of any promotion, never come back.