Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:59:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tremors series

Started by Famous Mortimer, December 04, 2020, 04:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

As the new one has just come out, I thought it maybe deserved its own thread.

For some reason, Jamie Kennedy was in the last few movies of this franchise, attempting to fill the Bacon / Ward shaped hole. He did not succeed, so finally they wrote him out (despite him falling in love with a hot scientist lady in the last movie, the reason he's not in this one is because his character was smuggling magic mushrooms over the Mexican border and is in jail). Jon Heder is in this one, and I wonder if he looks at his career, the people in Hollywood he clearly upset a great deal, and thinks about the choices that landed him as the sidekick in a 2020 Tremors movie.

Anyway, the only way you can enjoy any of the straight-to-streaming ones (all directed by the same bloke) is by ignoring any questions of real-life logic or anything like that. Some of them are good, some are terrible.

Anyone seen the new one? Shrieker Island is the name and being mildly entertaining is the game.

Blumf

Isn't this supposed to be a reboot or something?

checkoutgirl

The original is a total classic. Who did Heder piss off in Hollywood? He just seems naturally dislikeable to me.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Blumf on December 04, 2020, 04:08:43 PM
Isn't this supposed to be a reboot or something?
Not really. It's probably the last of the ones with Michael Gross, but who knows.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 04, 2020, 04:13:13 PM
The original is a total classic. Who did Heder piss off in Hollywood? He just seems naturally dislikeable to me.
I just assumed/joked, based on his career trajectory. He co-starred in a Will Ferrell movie and was pretty good in it, and now he's third banana in a 2020 straight-to-video monster movie sequel.

frajer

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 04, 2020, 04:27:34 PM
I just assumed/joked, based on his career trajectory. He co-starred in a Will Ferrell movie and was pretty good in it, and now he's third banana in a 2020 straight-to-video monster movie sequel.

I was watching Blades of Glory the other week and similarly wonder what had happened to Heder. But rather than anything salacious, he seems to be in the enviable position of being able to do the projects he wants as and when, and mainly does web-series and voiceover stuff.

I haven't seen beyond Tremors III but might check out the newer ones. The original made a massive impression on me as a nipper and remains a great watch. A really well-balanced film in that it has an actually scary threat, but is also very funny without being a parody.

Mister Six

Also has a really good female character who's the match of the male heroes without it being trumpeted as a Big Woke Moment.

Tremors 2 is also great fun. Didn't watch 3 or anything after. Are any of them worth it? One good sequel seemed like a longshot, I didn't hold out hope for 20+ others and a TV show.

Heard the failed Kevin Bacon pilot was surprisingly good too.

frajer

Quote from: Mister Six on December 05, 2020, 03:16:08 AM
Also has a really good female character who's the match of the male heroes without it being trumpeted as a Big Woke Moment.

Great shout. She cracks on fighting the Tremors, provides essential information to everyone's survival, and is smarter than and as physically able as the lads. There's the inevitable bit where she ends up in her undies, but not even Ellen Ripley escaped this.

An all-round great film. Tempted to ask for the new Arrow blu-ray for Christmas.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Mister Six on December 05, 2020, 03:16:08 AM
Tremors 2 is also great fun. Didn't watch 3 or anything after. Are any of them worth it? One good sequel seemed like a longshot, I didn't hold out hope for 20+ others and a TV show.
3 and 4 are pretty weak - 4 is directed by the guy who wrote part 1 (and directed part 2), though, and has some interesting ideas in it. But the three more recent straight-to-video entries can all be safely ignored too - "Bloodlines", "A Cold Day In Hell" and "Shrieker Island"; although Shrieker Island is the best of the lot, mostly because it doesn't have Jamie Kennedy in it.

None of them are shockingly bad, but you will not go to your grave saying "I wish I'd been a Tremors completist".

Mister Six

Ha, cheers. Sounds like I jumped off at the right point, then.

DoesNotFollow

The original is one of the best films of its kind, surely. Smart, funny, genuinely thrilling/scary. Great monster effects, too. Probably one of my fave films of all time.

While other kids were playing 'the floor is lava' I was playing 'Tremors!'. 28 years old I was.

greenman

Watched the Arrow UHD release of the original last night, very nicely done indeed and a pretty massive upgrade of the previous releases.

Just got my Arrow Blu-Ray today of the original today, and rewatched the film this evening. It's still such a great old-school film, lots of knowing B-movie monster action and kinda-ropey-but-also-amazing practical effects mixed in with the charisma and chemistry of Bacon and Ward. The transfer looks fantastic - going to dip into the commentaries and things tomorrow.