Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:29:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Metal Gear Solid Movie Reportedly Picks Up Oscar Isaac as Solid Snake

Started by Bazooka, December 04, 2020, 07:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

It's funny years and years ago I longed for my favourite games to be successful movies. Now I can't understand why this is a thing anyone would want. It's just embarrassing putting video game things in films. Just stop it.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Bazooka on December 04, 2020, 07:30:28 PMCouldn't give a chimps arse either way.
I find I'm more bothered by the picture they've used not being of Solid Snake, but of Big Boss.

JamesTC

Metal Gear Solid is my favourite video game. Not arsed about this.

How would it even work? You pick up in the film with the two games that came before it needing to be exposition. A Metal Gear film would make more sense.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: JamesTC on December 04, 2020, 07:57:07 PM
How would it even work? You pick up in the film with the two games that came before it needing to be exposition. A Metal Gear film would make more sense.
I remember playing MGS for the first time, with no knowledge of the two previous games. That it provided some backstory via the briefing and the summaries of Metal Gear and MG: SS was pretty helpful, essential even.

A mini-series might have made more sense, but perhaps it would have been prohibitively expense.

Consignia

Quote from: JamesTC on December 04, 2020, 07:57:07 PM
Metal Gear Solid is my favourite video game. Not arsed about this.

To be fair one of the games was never even released in the west before Solid came out. It's hardly some labyrinthine plot, its typical spy movie fair, just really impressively pulled for it's era.

It will be a crap film, though. The story is serviceable for a video game, but it'd need a lot of work to be a compelling movie.

Thursday

I hope it includes the bit where Snake has to run all the way back to an earlier area to get the Sniper Rifle, and then after he's got back to where he was and wins the fight, get's caught and put in a cell, and has to get back to where he was again. And the bit where he has to take the PAL Key all the way back to blast furnace and also the freezer area where he has to fight Vulcan Raven to change the temperature of the PAL key. And along the way there's lots of really long codec scenes about Dr Naomi.

JamesTC

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 04, 2020, 08:01:14 PM
I remember playing MGS for the first time, with no knowledge of the two previous games. That it provided some backstory via the briefing and the summaries of Metal Gear and MG: SS was pretty helpful, essential even.

A mini-series might have made more sense, but perhaps it would have been prohibitively expense.
Quote from: Consignia on December 04, 2020, 08:18:11 PM
To be fair one of the games was never even released in the west before Solid came out. It's hardly some labyrinthine plot, its typical spy movie fair, just really impressively pulled for it's era.

It will be a crap film, though. The story is serviceable for a video game, but it'd need a lot of work to be a compelling movie.

To get it to work it would need to find a way to have the infodump from the opening of MGS delivered in a more natural way. I guess them going to find Snake at the start and then debriefing him on the situation would work. You could also open with the ending of Metal Gear 2 which would provide additional context for Grey Fox.

Quote from: Thursday on December 04, 2020, 08:30:22 PM
I hope it includes the bit where Snake has to run all the way back to an earlier area to get the Sniper Rifle, and then after he's got back to where he was and wins the fight, get's caught and put in a cell, and has to get back to where he was again. And the bit where he has to take the PAL Key all the way back to blast furnace and also the freezer area where he has to fight Vulcan Raven to change the temperature of the PAL key. And along the way there's lots of really long codec scenes about Dr Naomi.

I hope they include the bit where the PAL key gets eaten by a rat and Snake has to kill it.

JamesTC

When you watch the film the third time, Snake is wearing a tuxedo.

JamesTC

crankshaft

There is no way this will be anything but completely unwatchable garbage.

Option A: an attempt to make a film with a coherent plot reveals that the source material is wildly derivative guff so the whole thing comes off as "James Bond meets anime clichés" and it dies a death.

Option B: they go with the incoherence of the games, which are as emotionally involving as a block of wood, meaning that the only people who give a shit are hardcore fans of the game and it dies a death.

The Culture Bunker

I wonder if they told Isaac he'll (presumably) have to play Liquid Snake too? And Big Boss if there's any flashbacks.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: crankshaft on December 04, 2020, 09:42:50 PM
There is no way this will be anything but completely unwatchable garbage.

Option A: an attempt to make a film with a coherent plot reveals that the source material is wildly derivative guff so the whole thing comes off as "James Bond meets anime clichés" and it dies a death.

Option B: they go with the incoherence of the games, which are as emotionally involving as a block of wood, meaning that the only people who give a shit are hardcore fans of the game and it dies a death.
If you don't watch any movies with "wildly derivative" plots, I presume you don't watch many movies. If it's good, no-one will give a shit.

bgmnts

Considering the games are basically just badly edited film pastiche, i'd be interested to see how they put this to a bland hollywood film.

If it's even a quarter as batshit as Kojima's creation I'll be impressed.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: bgmnts on December 04, 2020, 10:30:22 PM
Considering the games are basically just badly edited film pastiche, i'd be interested to see how they put this to a bland hollywood film.

If it's even a quarter as batshit as Kojima's creation I'll be impressed.
With MGS5, as much as I enjoyed the actual missions part of it, I thought the story bits lost something by "going Hollywood" and getting Keifer Sutherland to voice the main character. David Hayter seemed to do Snake with a slight knowingness of how silly (in a good way) it was.

Garam

It would make a good anime series. If most episodes were almost silent like Aeon Flux or Primal and were just about Snake taking on a militia in a new situation it would be amazing.

JamesTC

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 04, 2020, 10:37:16 PM
With MGS5, as much as I enjoyed the actual missions part of it, I thought the story bits lost something by "going Hollywood" and getting Keifer Sutherland to voice the main character. David Hayter seemed to do Snake with a slight knowingness of how silly (in a good way) it was.

Yeah. Gameplay wise, I thought MGSV was top. Story wise it was definitely the worst. The twist was good though.

I hope the film is a massive success so they work though the whole series. Want to see a huge fuck-off robot, which is programmed with the former mentor of Big Boss, start to sing The Carpenters to save the world from nuclear annihilation.

magval

Quote from: JamesTC on December 04, 2020, 09:49:42 PM

Enjoyed this.

The bottom left one is Solid Snake but aren't the bottom right one and one of the top two the same person?

JamesTC

Quote from: magval on December 04, 2020, 11:22:52 PM
The bottom left one is Solid Snake but aren't the bottom right one and one of the top two the same person?

Top Left -
Spoiler alert
Big Boss (MGS3, MGS:PW, MGSV:GZ, MGSV:PP, MG2, MGS4)
[close]
Top Right -
Spoiler alert
Phantom Big Boss (MGSV:PP, MG1)
[close]
Bottom Left -
Spoiler alert
Solid Snake
[close]
Bottom Right -
Spoiler alert
Iroquois Pliskin
[close]

The last one
Spoiler alert
is a running joke about how Pliskin is a different character to Solid Snake due to it clearly being him but Raiden just accepting it isn't.
[close]

Thursday

The bottom two are Solid Snake. If you're going to say the bottom right one is Iroquois Pliskin, you have to say the one on the left is Old Snake not Solid Snake.

The Culture Bunker

I did think the bottom right one was Naked Snake/Big Boss from MGS3. That'll learn me (and perhaps the person who did the Tweet, if they were going for that angle).

JamesTC

MGS2 Solid Snake and pre-eye shooting Big Boss look pretty much the same so it is an easy mistake to make.

Thursday

Nah, she knows what she's doing, look at her replies. It's a good idea, it just doesn't quite work.

magval

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 04, 2020, 11:41:49 PM
I did think the bottom right one was Naked Snake/Big Boss from MGS3. That'll learn me (and perhaps the person who did the Tweet, if they were going for that angle).

So did I. Right enough, it's "Pliskin" though, as he has shaved.