Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:31:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

anyone on here had it

Started by madhair60, December 07, 2020, 05:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

I haven't had it, yet anyway, but what scares me is how random it seems to be. My brother tested positive and only had a mild headache. My auntie had it and was in bed for 2 weeks and has since developed so called long covid. Still feeling drained and relatively unwell 6 months later.

Icehaven

Just found out someone at work I've known and sort of worked with for a few years is in hospital with it, and he's in quite a bad way. He's in his early 50s and had a kidney transplant about 20 years ago which has given him a lot of ongoing problems so he's been being extremely careful since March, but we've had a few major outbreaks at work in the last few months and he tested positive just over a week ago. He has two very young daughters as well, which is even worse.

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 04, 2021, 01:56:46 PM
Has anyone else been browsing Facebook and noticing that a lot more people they know seem to have the 'vid this time round? I know this is anecdotal and doesn't prove anything but I'm actually a bit scared now, and I was fine during the first wave. I should be going back to werk this week and my bike isn't equipped for cycling over ice and snow, what with its narrow road bike tyres and their minimal tread, but I really don't want to use public transport right now. I had always been worried about friends and family getting it, now I'm actually properly worried for myself for the first time.

Not to sound very glib or whatever, but can you not change out your tyres/wheels/bike? I'm not sure how challenging the roads can be up there, but if it's going to be as bad (worse) as Spring and the govt are going to be less robust in their approach or generous in their economics, then I would be absolutely shitting it over daily public transport.

I've secured sessional work on two big modules. One entirely online, and one currently f2f every other week. I'll be pushing for the f2f to be scrapped if at all possible, but surely HE students won't see a classroom now until the Autumn. I drive, and would be happy enough to drop into an office with the same small group, but fuck exposure to a carousel of snot.

flotemysost

After speaking recently to various mates who've tested positive in the current round, the ten or so days of headaches/feeling a bit dizzy and light-headed/weird shooting pains behind my eyes that I had just before Christmas sound very similar to symptoms they're experiencing. I took a test eventually after making the connection and it was negative, but that was outside the recommended window so it's still possible - I live alone and have been working from home for months, but I'd been going to supermarkets and cases in my area are pretty dire.

On the other hand there's obviously many other things that can cause headaches (including the gas leak found recently in my flat - merry fackin Christmas) so who knows, I'm just grateful that was the worst of it if I did indeed have it. Agree it's worrying how seemingly illogical the symptoms (and even test results) seem to be.

Hope everyone and their loved ones are doing alright.

Neomod

Had the loss of taste/smell thing back in March but have had an annoying cough and tight chest for the last week so have ordered a home kit test. Even though the local testing centre is 5 mins walk from my house they offered me walk in tests at two centres both 9 miles away.

Advice for home kits. Order just after midnight as they run out pretty quickly each day it seems.

Blue Jam

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on January 04, 2021, 09:33:15 PM
Not to sound very glib or whatever, but can you not change out your tyres/wheels/bike? I'm not sure how challenging the roads can be up there, but if it's going to be as bad (worse) as Spring and the govt are going to be less robust in their approach or generous in their economics, then I would be absolutely shitting it over daily public transport.

Yes, I have been looking at getting some chonkier tyres with a more aggressive tread, but now it looks like I may be able to werk from home for another week so it might be alright. Really, really don't want to be getting on any buses right now.

olliebean

Quote from: Neomod on January 05, 2021, 12:50:20 AM
Had the loss of taste/smell thing back in March but have had an annoying cough and tight chest for the last week so have ordered a home kit test. Even though the local testing centre is 5 mins walk from my house they offered me walk in tests at two centres both 9 miles away.

Advice for home kits. Order just after midnight as they run out pretty quickly each day it seems.

I ordered one around 7pm on Sunday evening, received it on Monday morning, did it and posted it an hour or so later and the tracking said it arrived 8:30pm Monday evening. Haven't had my result yet though. (I'm pretty sure I'm negative, haven't really had any opportunity to catch it for at least a fortnight but the Zoe app seemed to think a runny nose and abdominal pain warranted a test.)

Bently Sheds

My test result came back positive this morning. My isolation period is a bit of a puzzle, symptoms started on Boxing Day, so - according to all the stuff I read on the gov.uk website - I am a free man today, but I got an email from the Government this afternoon telling me I must isolate until the 7th.

gib

My test just came back negative. I'm now really confused about when i can go back to work. Any help appreciated.

Zetetic

"Your isolation period includes the day the first person in your household's symptoms started (or the day their test was taken if they did not have symptoms, whether this was an LFD or PCR test), and the next 10 full days"

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection#if-you-live-in-the-same-household-as-someone-with-covid-19

I'm guessing 9-7 days[nb]Depending on symptoms or test-taken dates for your household members.[/nb], or so then, assuming you don't develop symptoms.

gib

Thanks, and this is where it gets a bit confusing. My partner's symptoms started on the 26th or 27th December, one of the kids had some symptoms around then and the other one hasn't really had any symptoms at all. They all took a test on 2nd Jan and all got a positive result back on 4th Jan. So to be on the safe side i guess i should look at 10 days from the asymptomatic kid's test?

Zetetic

Until the end of the 12th Jan seems like a reasonable minimum to me?

But I've no idea what I'm talking about.

George Oscar Bluth II

Friend of mine got it via their 12 year old and ended up with a situation where the rest of the family was locked up but the child was allowed out, so had to send him to do the supermarket shop. It was not a success.

Blue Jam

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on January 06, 2021, 08:10:44 AM
Friend of mine got it via their 12 year old and ended up with a situation where the rest of the family was locked up but the child was allowed out, so had to send him to do the supermarket shop. It was not a success.

Ha! If I was 12 I would be loving this. No school and Frosties for dinner.

(sorry about your friend)

Neomod

Quote from: olliebean on January 05, 2021, 06:54:44 PM
I ordered one around 7pm on Sunday evening, received it on Monday morning, did it and posted it an hour or so later and the tracking said it arrived 8:30pm Monday evening. Haven't had my result yet though. (I'm pretty sure I'm negative, haven't really had any opportunity to catch it for at least a fortnight but the Zoe app seemed to think a runny nose and abdominal pain warranted a test.)

You had your result back yet? I see on tracking my sample was received yesterday.

Does anyone know that general turn around is?

Gambrinus

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on January 06, 2021, 08:10:44 AM

Sorry, I know it's not really, but that was quite funny.

I had it, I was lucky. Felt like a bad cold really - could still have gone to work. Major symptom was tiredness - did hardly any running for the best part of a month. Had a very slight cough but was expecting to be hacking up a lung or something like that. No temperature either.

If you have Amazon Prime you can get food delivered through there via Morrison's. Or if you're desperate then Deliveroo can get you stuff from the Co-op. This is in Cardiff though, don't know if that works everywhere.

Pink Gregory

I've been off work for two days with basically tiredness/migraine hangover, I should probably be concerned, but I tried the NHS symptom checker and it sez Covid is 'unlikely'.

Have to see how this develops.  Joy of joys.

katzenjammer

This is the problem, I think I've had those symptoms ^ on about 10 different occasions since March. Last night I went to bed at 9:30 feeling a bit fluey wondering yet again 'is this it?' Woke up at 8:30 feeling fine

jobotic

Same. Shattered today. Sore eyes. Had headaches, sore throat.

On the other hand when for a run last night and was okay. Partner had asymptomatic test Monday and it was negative (I have one on Saturday booked).

As this new strain is so contagious it seems unlikely that you can sleep next to someone every night and not get it?

katzenjammer

Depends if it's always the same person :)

George Oscar Bluth II

Me and Mrs Gob have been feeling crap all week so have locked ourselves down. None of the "classic" symptoms but enough to sack off work and spend all week watching Curb. All tested so we'll know soon hopefully.

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 06, 2021, 03:06:48 PM
Ha! If I was 12 I would be loving this. No school and Frosties for dinner.

(sorry about your friend)

I mean it was basically this. A 12 year old at Tesco with £20 to spend, absolute magic.

olliebean

Quote from: Neomod on January 07, 2021, 01:24:40 PM
You had your result back yet? I see on tracking my sample was received yesterday.

Does anyone know that general turn around is?

Just got it earlier this evening, so that's 3 days. The first one I did, a few months back, was also 3 days, but the one in between, in November, came back the next day. (All negative, btw.)

I think the average is supposed to be 2-3 days.

lipsink

I'm not sure but yesterday and today I've just felt completely drained and exhausted like I want to sleep all the time. Plus headaches and achey all over and dizzy when I stand up. I thought maybe I was just depressed but my taste feels a bit off too. I dunno how to describe it too but I have weird moments similar to 'brain zaps' when someone stops taking their medication. I probably should get a test.

Bently Sheds

I'm still feeling drained and weak, the banging headache has subsided (as has the solid block of pain that's my pelvic region), but the last couple of days I've noticed that by 2pm I'm freezing cold, shakey and exhausted.

Also, my sense of taste & smell has gone weird and everything has a deeply unpleasant faintly flowery tang to it. I can't face a cuppa and can't even put deodorant on, it's that disgusting.

jobotic

My colleague and friend had it over Christmas and was quite knocked out by it. She seems to have recovered well but has now develop some sort of tremor which is getting worse. Never of that before. Quite scary.

Blue Jam

Feeling unwell today but think it's just a cold. Got a pounding headache and feel bunged-up and I'm sneezing but no fever or coughing and I can taste and smell just fine. Just seems odd because I've had so little close contact with people over the past year that I haven't had a cold in that time.

Neomod

Prognosis N E G A T I V E...

Just a common old cough then.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on January 07, 2021, 05:51:21 PM
Me and Mrs Gob have been feeling crap all week so have locked ourselves down. None of the "classic" symptoms but enough to sack off work and spend all week watching Curb. All tested so we'll know soon hopefully.

We got it baby.

Fambo Number Mive

Sorry to hear this, I hope you both get better soon.

George Oscar Bluth II

The delays in testing are such that we'd both dismissed it by this morning, thought we'd been a bit hysterical getting tests for "just a bad cold". Oh!