Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,326
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:47:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections and post-election V: A Trump that won't leave the room

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 07, 2020, 06:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

C_Larence

Quote from: Cuellar on January 27, 2021, 09:52:52 AM
Bernie's been known to filibuster at times, hasn't he?

He famously filibustered for 8 hours in 2010, to delay the passing of a bill that Joe Biden and Mitch McConnell worked together on. It called for an extension to Bush era tax cuts for the rich. Reading about it again now, something I didn't realise happened at the time is that while Bernie was speaking they wheeled out Bill Clinton to do a press conference with Obama, to try and overshadow the speech.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 27, 2021, 10:21:39 AM
Biden calling for an end of private prisons is actually quite good.
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1354202467483975680

Imagine if he had any actual real power, as President of the USA

Mister Six

TBF he says he's ordered the end of federal usage of for-profit prisons, so that actually is taking action.

pcsjwgm

Biden's pick for US ambassador to the UN, Linda Thomas-Greenfield:
.@LindaT_G at Senate confirmation Hearing: "I look forward to standing with Israel, standing against the unfair targeting of Israel, the relentless resolutions proposed against Israel unfairly, and I look forward to working closely with Israel to ... widen the circle of peace."

.@LindaT_G: "I find the actions and the approach that @BDSmovement has taken toward Israel as unacceptable. It verges on anti-Semitic, and it's important that they not be allowed to have a voice at the UN, and I intend to work against that."

.@LindaT_G: "President Biden has indicated that we will run to rejoin @UNHumanRights. When we're at the table there are fewer resolutions against Israel. If we're on the outside, we have no voice... whether its @UNESCO, whether its funding to @UNRWA."
https://twitter.com/JacobMagid/status/1354457085816299521

Mister Six

monkfromhavana

JaDanketies

This guy on another forum who bet me $100 that Biden wouldn't get inaugurated due to widespread voter fraud appears to believe that Trump is still president behind-the-scenes. Depressingly, they live in the Netherlands, they're not even a fuckin yank.  I just checked in on the most conspiracy-laden Trumper I know in the UK and they seem to have accepted that Biden won - I should've made my bet with them instead.

idunnosomename

Biden's done more actual things in a couple weeks than Starmer has hinted at possible things for the best part of the year. colour me surprised really

thugler

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 28, 2021, 02:34:02 PM
This guy on another forum who bet me $100 that Biden wouldn't get inaugurated due to widespread voter fraud appears to believe that Trump is still president behind-the-scenes. Depressingly, they live in the Netherlands, they're not even a fuckin yank.  I just checked in on the most conspiracy-laden Trumper I know in the UK and they seem to have accepted that Biden won - I should've made my bet with them instead.

Q anon is big in Netherlands and Japan apparently. For some reason

Mister Six

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 28, 2021, 03:43:32 PM
Biden's done more actual things in a couple weeks than Starmer has hinted at possible things for the best part of the year. colour me surprised really

He has the advantage of executive power, being able to unilaterally change aspects of federal policy with a single signature. Not the same tools as UK PM. Not that I particularly want to defend Starmer.

idunnosomename

Starmer could just say things he wants to happen though. he doesnt even do that.

but in other news, what a cunt (Harry Dunn/Ann Sacoolas): https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-55849608

Ferris

Democrats are also backtracking on the $2k cheques.

Grand stuff, lads. It's like they're trying to lose elections. Maybe they are.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 29, 2021, 12:28:03 AM
Democrats are also backtracking on the $2k cheques.

Grand stuff, lads. It's like they're trying to lose elections. Maybe they are.

watch them bailout the Gamestop hedge fund cunts on Monday, just to double down.

Cerys

Quote from: thugler on January 28, 2021, 04:09:01 PM

Tulips and traditional wooden footwear.

Urinal Cake

QAnon should've been of those localised cults like Heaven's Gate or something but thanks to the power of posting it's spread. What it really needed someone like Trump as a Constantine-like figure to make it spread and an acceptable religion. However Trump is too lazy and hates regular people too much to make it happen. I think Marjorie Taylor-Greene will end up as it's head. Don Jnr doesn't really have anything else going on his life so he could try I guess.

Sonny_Jim

I know the international image of the Netherlands is pot smoking, whores and easy going attitude, but in reality it's actually fairly right wing.  Lots of anti-mask protests going on at the moment.  Then there's 'Black Pete', a fun christmas character who hands out sweets to kids whilst wearing blackface.

Chedney Honks

Who would have thought smoking 2eed all day every day would lead to psychosis

Sonny_Jim

It's certainly prevalent, most towns will have a cafe/bar/whatever that'll sell it, but outside of Amsterdam you need to prove residence in Holland now.  The thing is it's not actually as 'popular' as you'd think.  IIRC there's more pot smokers in the UK than in the Netherlands.

EDIT:  Just checked Wikipedia and it seems England is 6.6% and Netherlands 8%, so QI klaxon sounds for me.

EDIT2:  Smoked too much wacky baccy.  There are more smokers.  6.6% of 57M people in the UK is more than 8% of 17M people of the Netherlands.  Undo the klaxon.

Urinal Cake

I blame Hideo Kojima and Metal Gear Solid's popularity in Japan and Holland.

Paul Calf

There's a big streak of boorish bigotry not far beneath the polite surface of Dutch society and as the tradition of gedogen that sprung forth in the 1960s and 1970s gradually wears off, its proponents are growing bolder. I know an elected official in Amsterdam and she's told me some horrific stories.

ajsmith2

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 28, 2021, 09:00:22 PM
Starmer could just say things he wants to happen though. he doesnt even do that.

but in other news, what a cunt (Harry Dunn/Ann Sacoolas): https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-55849608

You'd think this story if any would have stood a chance of some personally invested intervention by Biden himself, given his own history: https://www.biography.com/news/joe-biden-first-wife-daughter-car-accident-story . I don't think it's too Emma Kennedy deluded to think he might have been able to relate to it in some way, but it seems no. Trump's response to this was typically idiotic, heartlessly offensive, and was of course only done to promote himself, but at least (low bar or what) it was an attempt to directly engage with the issue in some way and not just perfunctorily toss it out the window.

idunnosomename

Past days this is the sort of thing journalists could try and change but since they're all just clients of the government and this is inconvenient they shrug their shoulders and go huh what can you do. Americans coming over here abd driving on the wrong side of the fucking road is just one of those things!

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 29, 2021, 07:35:09 AM

I thought them being allowed to meant they didn't bother smoking any children in need.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 29, 2021, 07:35:09 AM

Richard Littlejohn and Peter Hitchens?

olliebean

Has this been posted yet? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/29/trump-russia-asset-claims-former-kgb-spy-new-book

QuoteDonald Trump was cultivated as a Russian asset over 40 years and proved so willing to parrot anti-western propaganda that there were celebrations in Moscow, a former KGB spy has told the Guardian.

QuoteThe ex-major recalled: "For the KGB, it was a charm offensive. They had collected a lot of information on his personality so they knew who he was personally. The feeling was that he was extremely vulnerable intellectually, and psychologically, and he was prone to flattery.

"This is what they exploited. They played the game as if they were immensely impressed by his personality and believed this is the guy who should be the president of the United States one day: it is people like him who could change the world. They fed him these so-called active measures soundbites and it happened. So it was a big achievement for the KGB active measures at the time."

chveik

the guardian should die thread is over there

have any sanctions against Russia been lifted?