Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:37:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections and post-election V: A Trump that won't leave the room

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 07, 2020, 06:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 08, 2020, 11:38:02 PM
Some states finalise their EC votes, I think.

The "finalization" is done when the state legislature ratifies and sends the results for certification by the state's head of state (ie the governor). Once that's done, the state sends the slate of electors to the electoral college on December 12 (?) and once that election is done (and it is supposed to be a formality) then there's nothing left to challenge.

December 8th is when internal state challenges are supposed to be resolved but there basically haven't been any significant ones since Florida in 2000, let alone multiple frivolous suits filed in multiple states so who knows? I'd be amazed if they didn't keep going considering they are basically constitutional/legal outsider folk art. When you've already gone a million miles off piste, things like traditional deadlines can be safely ignored.

Menu

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 08, 2020, 07:49:26 AM
They are addressed as Mr. President afterwards aren't they.

That's right. And, because of that oddness, they carry on calling Prime Ministers of the UK, 'Prime Minister' after they've retired, even though that's not not correct in our system. British PM's go back to being a Mr or Mrs or whatever.

It's another example of cultural imperialism. We don't all have your system ffs! Learn about other countries.

Fuming re this again now. FUMING!

Psmith

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Menu on December 09, 2020, 12:44:01 AM
That's right. And, because of that oddness, they carry on calling Prime Ministers of the UK, 'Prime Minister' after they've retired, even though that's not not correct in our system. British PM's go back to being a Mr or Mrs or whatever.

It's another example of cultural imperialism. We don't all have your system ffs! Learn about other countries.

Fuming re this again now. FUMING!

Actually, it's only Mr if they're surgeons, otherwise it's "Dr Prime Minister"

Menu

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on December 09, 2020, 01:30:29 AM
Actually, it's only Mr if they're surgeons, otherwise it's "Dr Prime Minister"

Brilliant. Made me laugh that!

Ferris

[ferris points out they're only 'Mr' as surgeons in the UK and in the rest of the world (and the US) they get the same 'Dr' designation as everyone else]

pcsjwgm

Trump's anti-war foreign policy in action: "The number of Afghan civilians killed in air strikes carried out by the US and its allies has risen 330% since 2017, a US study says."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55225827

druss

Quote from: Mister Six on December 08, 2020, 10:26:40 PM
And they've tossed it.
Phew.

Edit: where did you read this? Can't find anywhere that says it's been thrown out.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: druss on December 09, 2020, 07:43:45 AM
Phew.

Edit: where did you read this? Can't find anywhere that says it's been thrown out.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/08/politics/supreme-court-pennsylvania-trump-biden/index.html the litigation efforts have been nothing but banging pots and pans from the beginning.

DrGreggles

All part of the grift.
"We've reached the Supreme Court - look how close we are.
SEND MORE MONEY NOW!"

Sonny_Jim

It's all about the Texas lawsuit now.  Funny that, just as the last big case gets tossed, up pops another one:
The state of Texas filed an audacious lawsuit in the Supreme Court on Tuesday against four other states, asking the justices to extend the Dec. 14 deadline for certification of presidential electors.

The suit, filed by the state's attorney general, Ken Paxton, said Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin had engaged in election irregularities that require investigation, and it asked the court to "enjoin the use of unlawful election results without review and ratification by the defendant states' legislatures."

druss

Quote from: Jumblegraws on December 09, 2020, 08:10:51 AM
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/08/politics/supreme-court-pennsylvania-trump-biden/index.html the litigation efforts have been nothing but banging pots and pans from the beginning.
Ah that wasn't the Texas one which was what I was talking about. That one does seem to be the last chance saloon, hopefully it's dealt with appropriately.

DrGreggles

Jumblegraws

Quote from: druss on December 09, 2020, 08:35:57 AM
Ah that wasn't the Texas one which was what I was talking about. That one does seem to be the last chance saloon, hopefully it's dealt with appropriately.
Right enough, I saw "Pennsylvania" in your link and lazily assumed it was that one. That said, there is zero good reason to suppose this action isn't also tantamount to chucking a turd at family law arbitration office.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The GOP will still be there regardless of Trump.

It suits them having Trump trample on democratic norms and lowering basic standards of behaviour as it widens what their future leaders will be able to get away with. It also suits them to have Trump run a conspiracy theory as it activates their base support.

But their existence is not shackled to his, and we are witnessing the last pieces of performative shittery to get their base to plug the hole in the campaign finances before Trump disembarks on the post-election 'I wuz robbed' grift. TV appearances, rallies, so on. For him cult must continue. While it serves useful for the GOP they'll position themselves in orbit.

Jittlebags

Even when he retires, Boris will always be a cunt in my eyes.

pcsjwgm

"We'll move Biden left."
BIDEN WH STAFF SO FAR:

➡️Venture capital executive (@RonaldKlain).
➡️Former pharmaceutical, insurance lobbyist (Steve Ricchetti).
➡️Top Dem recipient of Big Oil $ (@cedricrichmond).
➡️Co-founder of firm that represents pharma & private equity (@jomalleydillon).

MORE BIDEN ADMINISTRATION PICKS:

➡️Co-founder of firm that represents big defense & tech companies (@ABlinken).
➡️Ex-consultant for data-miner @PalantirTech (Avril Haines).
➡️Senior VP (on leave) of firm that represented embattled Swiss-based mining giant Glencore (@LindaT_G).

BIDEN ECONOMIC TEAM PICKS:

➡️Managing director for massive NY financial firm (@briancdeese).
➡️ex-senior advisor for massive NY financial firm (@wallyadeyemo).
➡️CEO of DC think tank that has raised millions from Wall St, big banks, big tech & defense contractors (@neeratanden).

BIDEN's reported pick for Defense Secretary, retired Army General LLOYD J. AUSTIN III, is a member of a private equity fund that invests in defense contractors, & boasts its members' "access, network & expertise" are an advantage in government contracting.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/7333143-A-Private-Equity-Fund-With-Ties-to-Biden-s-Team.html
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1328788205961875463

Tom Vilsack, a.k.a. Mr. Monsanto, is Biden's pick for Agriculture Secretary. He was secretary of agriculture under Obama.
Thread: https://twitter.com/kgosztola/status/1336459355059843072

Famous Mortimer

And the centrists who tried to guilt people into voting for Biden will still be furious if people try and criticise any of the choices. He's reaching across the aisle! But not reaching left, for some reason!

Cuellar

jobotic

Jesus, just read about Lisa Montgomery's life. Trump will kill her and the people that made her insane get off free.

Mister Six

Definitely not going to look into that as it's far too depressing.

What a bunch of cunts Trump and his team are, though. "We need to kill as many people as possible while we have the chance!"

Jesus would love them, I reckon. The best Christians.

steve98

Quote from: Dr Trouser on December 10, 2020, 11:59:46 AM
what are the sandbags for? in case the executee explodes during electrification, showering the executioners with shrapnel?

That's where they shoot them (it does look like an electric chair.)

Blue Jam

Quote from: jobotic on December 10, 2020, 12:17:35 PM
Jesus, just read about Lisa Montgomery's life. Trump will kill her and the people that made her insane get off free.

I know lawyers always try to bring up mental illness, learning difficulties etc as mitigating circumstances but fucking hell, I think they actually had a case here. Her crime was horrific of course but it sounds like a life term in a psychiatric hospital would be more appropriate.

The Brandon Bernard case also seems iffy. While he's obviously no saint it seems suspect that he got the exact same sentence as the man who actually pulled the trigger.

Blumf

Think you'd need some turps to get rid of all the orange that's smeared everywhere too.

QDRPHNC

checkoutgirl

Strip off all the wallpaper, rip up the carpets and disinfect the cement. Then put new wallpaper and carpets. Completely refit the kitchen with new stuff. Replace every last stitch of furniture with new stuff that Trump hasn't farted his Wendys/McDonald's/Burger King flatus into. Anything shat on, farted on, touched or even looked at by that fat greasy lump should be torn out and burned in a big fire before being replaced.

Take Airforce One apart screw by screw and then just toss it into the dump and get a brand new plane untouched by Donald. Same for Marine One. Check Camp David was never visited by any Trump and if it was smash it to pieces and rebuild from scratch.

That's what I'd do. If I was pushing 80 like Biden I would take it to much greater extremes.

Keep one picture of Trump in the main lobby but ensure all visiting dignitaries can see it has a cock and balls scrawled on it. That would be a chucklesome icebreaker.

druss

Is there any way to find out when this ludicrous lawsuit from Texas will be heard by the Supreme Court? The electors are meeting on Monday so it's got to be today hasn't it? Or might it be at the 11th hour on Monday?