Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:35:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections and post-election V: A Trump that won't leave the room

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 07, 2020, 06:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: druss on December 11, 2020, 09:35:16 AM
Is there any way to find out when this ludicrous lawsuit from Texas will be heard by the Supreme Court? The electors are meeting on Monday so it's got to be today hasn't it? Or might it be at the 11th hour on Monday?

Won't they just toss it like the other one that didn't pass through lower courts?

DrGreggles

Quote from: druss on December 11, 2020, 09:35:16 AM
Is there any way to find out when this ludicrous lawsuit from Texas will be heard by the Supreme Court?

It won't.

Ferris

Quote from: Paul Calf on December 11, 2020, 09:53:16 AM
Won't they just toss it like the other one that didn't pass through lower courts?

I think SCOTUS is constitutionally obligated to hear it because it has been filed by a state (ie Texas itself is technically the plaintiff, rather than some ludicrous covid-stricken pretender to giuliani).

That said, they will likely toss it immediately on the basis that Texas has no standing to intervene on how Wisconsin awards electors. It's a pretty craven and sensational claim, and one that opens the door to all sorts (what if MA decides it doesn't like FL/AZ's 0% state income tax on residents and demands SCOTUS intervene on a federal level to impose state taxes? Or vice versa? It's all a bit mad tbh)

steve98

An article in Bloomberg notes that even if the pathetic Texas suit succeeded and the 4 swing-states electoral votes were tossed, it wouldn't make any difference: Biden would still win cos the number of votes required to win would drop to 238 (instead of 270) and he would have 244.

"Eliminating the four defendant states from the Electoral College would leave Biden with a 244-232 electoral vote advantage. Many conservatives believe that, because no candidate would have 270 electoral votes, the election would go to the House of Representatives -- where Republicans would have an edge because votes for presidents are cast by state delegations rather than individual members.

But Tribe begs to differ. "What the Texas strategy foolishly ignores is that the 12th Amendment tosses the election into the House only if no candidate has a 'majority of the whole number of Electors appointed,' and that 'whole number' would go down to just 475, not 538, if the Texas gambit were to work," said Tribe."

MojoJojo

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 11, 2020, 11:35:06 AM
I think SCOTUS is constitutionally obligated to hear it because it has been filed by a state (ie Texas itself is technically the plaintiff, rather than some ludicrous covid-stricken pretender to giuliani).

Not really. SCOTUS just has to say "have you taken it to Georgia/PA etc.. courts? Well try there."

Annoyingly I think the plan now is to spin the whole thing out until after Biden is inaugurated so Trump and his supporters can claim he was let down by a cowardly and bureaucratic legal system, rather than engage with reality.

I have a fantasy that SCOTUS might unanimously smack Trump down hard and make clear how ridiculous the legal arguments being made are - from what I understand they really don't like being dragged into politics (or at least into overtly political debates). But for the same reason they'll probably just quietly tell Trump to take it to the state courts.

Urinal Cake

God I hope this drama queen and his family shuts the fuck up once he's out of office.

C_Larence

Audio of Biden shouting at Black civil rights leaders on a recent zoom call has been leaked, you can hear it here.
https://twitter.com/lvburke/status/1337076057736962051?s=21

If you're still in any doubt about how the next four years are going to look, here is April Ryan, white house correspondent and CNN politician analyst's take on the call.
https://twitter.com/aprildryan/status/1337104549992075272?s=21

and credulously liking tweets from someone taking the piss out her and her profession.
https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1337489119027597312?s=21

It's going to be fun to watch in real time the same people who claimed Bernie would be a bad president because he talked loudly, who called in "body language experts" to decide whether wagging his finger made him a sexist, now say that Biden is just demonstrating good leadership by shouting at Black people and anyway what do you want Trump????

Urinal Cake

I think the whole talk of Biden that he 'isn't a conviction politician' and 'Kamala will handle it' has been overstated. Most people knew he wasn't going to be moved left. But I guess he's moved from forgetful old man to old man who always thinks he's right.

chveik

druss

That audio recording is unforgivable, can't believe all those hateful things he said.

C_Larence

Quote from: druss on December 11, 2020, 10:38:14 PM
That audio recording is unforgivable, can't believe all those hateful things he said.

What would he have to say or do for you to think that fawning adulation from supposed journalists is unwarranted.

Alberon

Supreme Court throws out last bid to nullify results saying the suit filed in Texas had no standing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Paul Calf

Why couldn't the Dems have found someone better than this? I'm sincerely confused about this. Biden is so obviously a hopeless liability. Why couldn't they do better?

honeychile

Accident of history? They wanted Buttigieg, looked like they were getting Sanders, so had to throw their weight behind whoever managed to get a seat when the music stopped. Biden.

Not Sanders (or Gabbard) was the priority. Providing some kind of viable alternative to the Republicans was and remains secondary to that.

Urinal Cake

Of the real contenders- they wanted Kamala then Buttigieg or Klobuchar (remember Bill fucking Marr). Warren was their last option. Sanders and Gabbard were never evers.

The establishment or DNC etc were of the mind that any Democrat could beat Trump. I guess they were right- the small target strategy worked.

Everybody saw this when Biden was doing town halls and he'd get lip from voters- he'd just attack back. I guess motherfucker might just now add a saviour complex because he saved the world from Trump.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 12, 2020, 12:10:10 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/dec/11/house-republicans-texas-election-lawsuit-supreme-court

It is actually fucking incredible just how many Republican members of Congress signed up for this.

"Do you want to use this to campaign to mouth-breathing maga dipshits or nah"

I get why they went along with it, though it is objectively political cowardice driving them.

pcsjwgm

Quote from: C_Larence on December 11, 2020, 09:52:15 PM
Audio of Biden shouting at Black civil rights leaders on a recent zoom call has been leaked, you can hear it here.
https://twitter.com/lvburke/status/1337076057736962051?s=21

More: https://twitter.com/AlexLawsonOFD/status/1337168424871530497

How is "restoring the soul of this country" a political platform that one can "run on"? Meaningless bollocks.

Mister Six

No progressive was talking about Charlottesville? Or no progressive was talking about "restoring the soul of this country" (a completely meaningless collection of words)?

I'm sick of this cunt already. Can we just try not having a president for a bit?

druss

steve98

His fans are furious, really furious, and there's a million (+/- 950,000) of them marching on (or in, or through) Washington today. Yikes.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: pcsjwgm on December 12, 2020, 01:27:23 AM
More: https://twitter.com/AlexLawsonOFD/status/1337168424871530497

How is "restoring the soul of this country" a political platform that one can "run on"? Meaningless bollocks.
Have you  heard any politician, ever?

I'm suspicious of sixty-second audio clips shared by people on Twitter by people who say "WELL IF I'D KNOWN THIS I WOULDN'T HAVE VOTED". Yes a man raising his voice is the same as telling white nationalist thugs to "stand by". You deserve your dystopian hellhole.