Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:47:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cigarettes & Alcohol by Oasis is the greatest song of all-time

Started by itsfredtitmus, December 10, 2020, 01:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

I dunno, tell me a time you weren't happy whilst this song was playing in your headphones. You could have only been scranning down a packet of Revels but I bet you were really happy.

You done the white line yet? Made it happen, yeah? Had a cig an all, yeah? There's a cig house 2 doors down that sells an imported box of cigs for a fiver - go make it happen.

Seriously though, great song with truly pertinent lyrics like no other. Anyone know of any other similar songs what deal with hedonism like this song does? Feel Good Hit of the Summer don't count because Josh Homme has never done bashed pub coke or downed a Lamrbini

Chriddof

I remember listening to this song in 1994, and trying to practically will myself into liking it. I couldn't make that happen.

Psmith

I've always thought Oasis music good if I hear it in a pub or when I'm out  and about shopping but I'd never take it home.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Chriddof on December 10, 2020, 02:36:45 AM
I remember listening to this song in 1994, and trying to practically will myself into liking it. I couldn't make that happen.
Have a "social cig" and put it on and see how you feel then

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on December 10, 2020, 01:34:13 AM
Seriously though, great song with truly pertinent lyrics like no other. Anyone know of any other similar songs what deal with hedonism like this song does? Feel Good Hit of the Summer don't count because Josh Homme has never done bashed pub coke or downed a Lamrbini
"Sound Of The Crowd" by Human League, about a lovely night out in Sheffield, maybe?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

daf

Not even the best track* in the Beatles on the CD single.

Also, cigaretts are a mugs drug - they honk and you get cancer!

Brilliaaaaaaaaaaaaant!!

- - - - - - - - - -
* (Fade Away)

Jockice

One of the very few Oasis songs I ever voluntarily listen to these days. But did you know that they did two versions of the video for it? The edited version has removed all actual incidences of smoking and drinking from it. Sell-outs!

Will I do my 'I think smoking is better than drinking' bit here? It seems to really wind some people up. "But smoking's horrible and bad for you,'' say people with pints of a legal but dangerous and addictive mood-altering drug responsible for thousands of deaths every year in the UK alone in front of them...

Jockice

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 10, 2020, 04:13:42 AM
"Sound Of The Crowd" by Human League, about a lovely night out in Sheffield, maybe?

There is no such thing.

Phil_A

Did you have a drink or two last night fred by any chance?

In terms of hedonism tunes, is it really better than Born Slippy, Sorted For E's and Wizz or Weekender? Come on now.

Norton Canes

crankshaft

A fucking awful band with no good songs, and this still manages to be one of their worst. Utter shit. The best I can say is at least it's not as bad as "Some Might Say".

Butchers Blind

If you were of a certain age during that mid 90's period I can see how they might seem exciting but with hindsight, no.

Neomod

I've never played an Oasis song in my headphones so wouldn't know.

Any Oasis song.

the ouch cube

In much the same way as Ronnie Corbett was the greatest heavyweight boxer of all time

pigamus

Married With Children is the best Oasis song. The greatest song of all time is Don't Call Me Baby by Voice of the Beehive.

Thomas

Sometimes I think 'Don't You (Forget About Me)' is the best song of all time. It's not my favourite, but it is the best.

thugler

Always thought the riff was a bit of a rip off. Prefer supersonic, columbia, slide away.

A few times a year get the feeling that I want to smoke some cigs again, always while drinking/drugging, then get sick of them again pretty quickly. Never been remotely addicted to the things.

Fr.Bigley

MacArthur Park sung by Richard Harris is the greatest song ever made. And if you don't agree, well, someones left your cake out in the rain.

Neomod

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on December 10, 2020, 12:45:02 PM
MacArthur Park sung by Richard Harris is the greatest song ever made. And if you don't agree, well, someones left your cake out in the rain.

Fucking Hell!

I was just going to post this.

Therefore it is definitive.

close thread

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Neomod on December 10, 2020, 12:48:02 PM
Fucking Hell!

I was just going to post this.

Therefore it is definitive.

close thread

At last, Someone that talks sense. mwah

El Unicornio, mang

Mad for it!

There's a bloke at one of my local pubs, in his 40s but still rocking the Liam Gallagher look and "attitude" who always sticks this on with some other Oasis, bit of Richard Ashcroft, etc. walks back to his table from the jukebox with that confident swagger.

Always thought this was one of the weaker songs on a great debut, Supersonic my favourite.

the science eel

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on December 10, 2020, 01:00:49 PMAlways thought this was one of the weaker songs on a great debut, Supersonic my favourite.

Then you are the winner.

Supersonic is the best thing they ever did.

sirhenry