Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:05:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cigarettes & Alcohol by Oasis is the greatest song of all-time

Started by itsfredtitmus, December 10, 2020, 01:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Phil_A on February 08, 2021, 11:14:56 AM
I really get the sense Maconie has bluffed his way through a career as an expert on pop culture/alternative music

I think the writers of monkey dust agree with you.

JamesTC

willbo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 01, 2021, 12:26:47 PM
The other day, inspired by this thread, I listened to Definitely Maybe for the first time in years. I was surprised by how 'indie' it sounded, at least compared to everything they did afterwards.

It's got one foot firmly planted in the noisy, droning, neo-psych sound of so many early '90s alternative rock bands, albeit with more mainstream radio-friendly melodies. Bring It On Down and Columbia sound like the sort of thing that Peel might've quite liked, although I daresay he never span an Oasis record. I could be wrong.

Here I am writing about Oasis again.

Parklife and Definitely Maybe were the first 2 albums I ever had (at age 12 or so), got Parklife for my birthday after loving the song on TV,  and then got Definitely Maybe a few months later - because I heard a kid my age on "Scratchy and Co" (the Saturday morning show) do a short segment on the history of rock from the Beatles and Elvis, and he ended with "and now the best 2 bands are Blur and Oasis".

I loved Oasis' first album as a kid, it was the best thing I'd ever heard for how noisy and big-produced/echo-y it was. Obviously I knew nothing about music then, I'd never heard (or heard of) shoegaze, Stone Roses, Smiths, Mad-chester etc. If I was a cynical adult who already knew those genres of course I wouldn't have been as impressed.

itsfredtitmus

Still a good song but I realised Wonderwall is actually the best Oasis song