Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:53:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cigarettes & Alcohol by Oasis is the greatest song of all-time

Started by itsfredtitmus, December 10, 2020, 01:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Did someone erase Wichita Lineman from everyone's brain? Otherwise of course Cigarettes & Alcohol isn't the greatest song of all time

Rizla

Better use of riff

Quote from: sirhenry on December 10, 2020, 01:36:53 PM
Cigarettes and Alcohol? You mean Milk and Alcohol, Shirley?

Remember when it looked like Wilko was about to cark it and they kept playing this on the radio in tribute, despite him not being on it, despite the guitar in no way resembling his trademark choppy style?

Brundle-Fly

Neomod

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 10, 2020, 02:32:30 PM
Not even the best Glen Campbell song

You are correct in your assumption that Rhinestone Cowboy is not even the best Glen Campbell song.

Guess I'm Dumb is better, but Wichita is the best.

Jockice

Quote from: pigamus on December 10, 2020, 12:28:05 PM
Married With Children is the best Oasis song. The greatest song of all time is Don't Call Me Baby by Voice of the Beehive.

That is a good one. Acquiesce, Rock'n'Roll Star, Whatever, Champagne Supernova and All Around The World (or at least the first four minutes or so)  are the only other Oasis songs I've played this century. The rest of their back catalogue can go to hell.

VOTB were great. At which point I usually mention the time I met Melissa and she asked if I had a spare cigarette and I said I didn't have any at all so she went off to scrounge off someone else but said: "If I get one do you want one too?" What a babe! A bad girl with a heart.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Rizla on December 10, 2020, 02:28:04 PM

Remember when it looked like Wilko was about to cark it and they kept playing this on the radio in tribute, despite him not being on it, despite the guitar in no way resembling his trademark choppy style?
oh dear.

it's a good song and while I have seen the current Dr Feelgood recently and they were a great show, seeing Wilko Johnson with Norman Watt-Roy was something else

kalowski

Fucking hell, surely the best song of all time is Magic Touch by Melba Moore. Or The Snake, by Al Wilson. Maybe Seven Days Too Long by Chuck Woods.
Cigarettes and fucking alcohol indeed.

Even if you hate the song, you can't resist singing along with "sun-sheeeeyine" in a Liam voice, be it serious or sarcastic.

famethrowa

Spiteface

We all know the best song of all time is "What is Love?" by Haddaway.

This isn't even a discussion we should be having.

I.D. Smith

Kind of feel they missed a trick by not calling it 'Cigarettes & Alchopops' as it still scans, and would also make it feel even more 90s.

Menu

Quote from: Jockice on December 10, 2020, 08:50:06 PM
That is a good one. Acquiesce, Rock'n'Roll Star, Whatever, Champagne Supernova and All Around The World (or at least the first four minutes or so)  are the only other Oasis songs I've played this century. The rest of their back catalogue can go to hell.

VOTB were great. At which point I usually mention the time I met Melissa and she asked if I had a spare cigarette and I said I didn't have any at all so she went off to scrounge off someone else but said: "If I get one do you want one too?" What a babe! A bad girl with heart disease.

chveik

pretty sure it's "Give Him a Great Big Kiss" by The Shangri-Las. sorry bud

Gregory Torso

It's a really, really, really, really boring song. There is such a wide rage of better music out there to explore.

Sin Agog

As a wean astride my big brother's shoulders at Glasto '94, I remember Live Forever being the song that felt like the transcendent anthem. 'course I wouldn't listen to it now I've discovered choice.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Jockice on December 10, 2020, 08:50:06 PM

VOTB were great. At which point I usually mention the time I met Melissa and she asked if I had a spare cigarette and I said I didn't have any at all so she went off to scrounge off someone else but said: "If I get one do you want one too?" What a babe! A bad girl with a heart.

Gosh, I've never heard that fascinating anecdote from you before. I'm going to get Hugh Cornwell to phone you up and tell you to fuck off.
Did I ever tell you about that time I thought I was in with a shout with Julie Christie in a bar in Bratislava, but blew it by asking her if she really did it with Donald Sutherland in that scene in that film?

Custard

I reckon A Day In The Life is the bestest song ever

Or Snoop Dogg's "Just Eat"

jobotic

Quote from: chveik on December 11, 2020, 12:27:49 AM

It absolutely is. Don't be sorry.

(apart from the days when it's Somethin' Else by Eddie Cochran)

kalowski

Quote from: chveik on December 11, 2020, 12:27:49 AM
Oh, gosh, yes, this could be correct.

phantom_power

I mean, it is obviously Brother Louie by Modern Talking but carry on with your little jokes

Greatest ever song is Keith Harris and Orville's cover of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Captain Z

Maybe it would be easier to rule out the songs that we know aren't the greatest of all-time:

Tenacious D - Tribute
Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me

willbo

I bought Definitely Maybe with a birthday HMV voucher when I was 12 or so, just because I liked Blur, and the kid music reviewer on Scratchy and Co said "Blur and Oasis are the 2 big bands of the moment". I played it so much that my parents got me What's The Story when it came out, but I was actually a bit disappointed with that album. The songs just seemed simpler, less loud/rocky, less emotional and it didn't just didn't grab me as much.

I used to hear people saying "they're just a Beatles rip off" and I'd think, "yeah... they are now, but listen to the first album!"

I honestly thought Be Here Now was a return to form as it was more rocky and sounded more heartfelt somehow.

daf

Quote from: willbo on December 13, 2020, 06:05:36 PM
I used to hear people saying "they're just a Beatles rip off" and I'd think, "yeah... they are now, but listen to the first album!"

They seemed a bit more like a Slade rip-off to me : 70's Landfill Glam reheated over and over again.

earl_sleek

Best song ever is either Set You Free by N-Trance or Kiss From A Rose.

willbo

I was a kid though. I like their glam rock sound, but I can imagine it sounding a bit old hat to someone who had heard 70s glam. Maybe someone who was 40 in the 70s would think glam sounded like re-hashed rock n' roll.

And I wouldn't have even minded if they'd said that - if people had said "oh, that Oasis, if they're not ripping off the Beatles, they're ripping off 70's glam and pub rock". At least that would have been accurate. But "they're just ripping off the Beatles" was such a "Wonderwall and Roll With It are the only songs I've heard" heckle.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Psmith on December 10, 2020, 02:53:12 AM
I've always thought Oasis music good if I hear it in a pub or when I'm out  and about shopping but I'd never take it home.

I kind of feel Oasis has also been partially ruined by people overplaying (and shouting out of tune to it) in pubs.

There's always some LAD who will select half their back catalogue every time they're in if they've got a few nuggets in their pocket.