Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:15:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Music documentaries

Started by Custard, December 10, 2020, 09:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

Made in Merseyside - early Beatles years doc - v good

Custard

The Bee Gees one is very good. Covers their entire career, which is nice. Decent talking heads, but it probably could've done without Justin Timberlake and one of the Jonas Brothers

MrSerious

No mention of In Bed With Chris Needham. Shocking.

Also: Heavy Metal Junior, which documents an early 00s teenage Glaswegian metal band and the singer's hilarious overbearing vocal coach dad.

https://vimeo.com/71328806

SteveDave

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: MrSerious on December 16, 2020, 09:38:54 PM

Also: Heavy Metal Junior, which documents an early 00s teenage Glaswegian metal band and the singer's hilarious overbearing vocal coach dad.

In Bed With Chris Needham is obviously the best rock-doc of all time, but Heavy Metal Junior is wonderful. Thank you for sharing that.

The dad is a phenomenal wanker.

EDIT: You can tell that the director is 'involved' though.

justin_bennett

Quote from: MrSerious on December 16, 2020, 09:38:54 PM

Ha!  That's my upload. It's a wee gem.

NoSleep

Sun Ra: A Joyful Noise (1980) by Robert Mugge

A sympathetic portrayal of the philosophy and music (in that order) of Sun Ra. Sun Ra believed that the future survival of the human race was dependent on things we were yet to discover - the unknown. So humanity should embrace the unknown. Likewise Sun Ra's musical path can be explained as an exploration of unknown realms in accordance with his philosophy, that looks both to the future and at the same time grounds itself in ancient roots and traditions. Are he and his band dressed as visitors from another planet or future, or are they from the mythical past; priests from ancient Egypt?

Some amazing performances from the band and Ra throughout as well as gaining a view of life within the band, some of whom are devoted to their work with Sun Ra and live as a community in the suburbs of Philadelphia in the house that is also their rehearsal space, as well as running a local shop.

...and the origin of lightning drum.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Esmjx8eVcE

SpiderChrist

I enjoyed this last night, brought back some nice memories of my Dad's 50th birthday celebrations. Some cracking (although bizarrely edited in places) live footage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000pjcm/ronnies-ronnie-scott-and-his-worldfamous-jazz-club

MrSerious

Quote from: justin_bennett on December 17, 2020, 05:56:53 PM
Ha!  That's my upload. It's a wee gem.

Oh wow, thanks so much!

The dad cropped up in another BBC Scotland doc recently, being all loud.

Twonty Gostelow

Another thank you for the Hatred documentary upload. Lovely stuff, but it's mostly in the editing, of course. You can see where they've meddled with the timeline in some of the shots of the outdoors gig where the bass player who left appears to be back in the band again. Any road, the second bass audition was the hardest I've laughed in weeks.

NoSleep

Watched the doc about Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead that's on Netflix at the moment, entitled "The Other One".

SteveDave

I saw "I'm Now- The Mudhoney Story" last night and apart from the original bass player they all seem like lovely fellows.

Afterwards I typed "Music Documentary" into Amazon Prime and there's a whole lot of shit on there including this piece of business-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Lennon-Hard-Imagine/dp/B07T8FH2GW

the science eel

New Ozzy Osbourne thing on BBC2 tonight.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: SteveDave on December 30, 2020, 03:34:36 PM

Afterwards I typed "Music Documentary" into Amazon Prime and there's a whole lot of shit on there including this piece of business-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Lennon-Hard-Imagine/dp/B07T8FH2GW

Vickie H.
1.0 out of 5 stars If you are a Beatles fan don't waste your time.
Reviewed in the United States on August 18, 2019
There is one guy who comments throughout the video on Lennon's life. Never heard of him. Don't waste your time. Or money.

Custard

Really enjoyed the new Go-Go's documentary. Ended up buying it on Amazon, as couldn't find it anywhere. First World problems, etc

Man, those gigs looked like loads of fun. The sheer fun and energy of it all. That new tune, Club Zero is surprisingly ace, too

Well worth a watch

Also bought the Laurel Canyon 2 part doco, so hoping to get round to that this week. Hope its got Stephen Stills trying to fight that bloke that time

steveh

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 31, 2021, 04:08:04 PM
Really enjoyed the new Go-Go's documentary. Ended up buying it on Amazon, as couldn't find it anywhere. First World problems, etc

Watched this not really knowing that much about them other than their hits and thought it was enjoyable enough and filled in a few gaps in my music knowledge. The first half dealing with their rise is better. If I remember right, the second half in fitting in 30+ years of the story, assorted fights and drug problems gets a bit scattershot.

It was on Sky Arts and is available on demand via Sky / Now TV. With BBC 4 no longer commissioning music docs Sky Arts are where it seems you're more likely to have to go now.

NoSleep

A Band Called Death - Before There Was Punk

About the all-black proto-punk trio from Detroit.

Really good film recounting a great story, so watch it for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vru_cgNnNv4

Custard

Thanks steveh, and yeah I agree their rise was more fun than the decline

Bit weird the film skipped over their 2001 reunion album too, but I guess it was already 90 plus minutes by that point. Seemed a bit rushed, though

Sad splitup gets ten minutes, then "and then we got back together once Belinda stopped selling records!". Fin.

Quite enjoyed the middle-aged versions of the ladies writing the new tune together though. And as I said earlier, it's a really good tune

The film sent me away happy and feeling alive, as good music based documentaries should in my opinion, so job done I'd say.

It's ridiculous that they've been ignored for the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame, as much of a joke and/or waste of time as that is

Dusty Substance

BLACKPINK: Light Up The Sky, last year's documentary about the K-pop girl group sensation, is worth a watch for anyone into pop docs. They genuinely seem like friends so no drama or infighting (not yet, at least) but an interesting insight on the rigorous amount of work these girls go through to become a successful pop band. The concert at the end is astounding.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: NoSleep on March 31, 2021, 05:10:06 PM
A Band Called Death - Before There Was Punk

About the all-black proto-punk trio from Detroit.

Really good film recounting a great story, so watch it for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vru_cgNnNv4

Absolutely tremendous band!

chveik

watched Transes on mubi a few days ago, a doc about Nass El Ghiwane (gnawa music from Morocco), really worth a watch

NoSleep

Watched Betty Davis: They Say I'm Different (2017) about the raunchy funk artist, which was well worth the effort. She just disappeared from the scene in the mid 70's and they track her down while telling her story (in her own words).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYCHRXpCz8c

Reverb.com have just released a film all about the history of guitar effects pedals. It's called The Pedal Movie (2021) and it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5AbsQvdiZE

On the same tip I watched Fuzz: The Sound That Revolutionized The World (2007) recently, too (lots of the same faces from the The Pedal Movie 14 years younger). It's on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43fE0Iwslc

sevendaughters

anyone seen the one about Brainiac?

Gregory Torso

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 05, 2021, 09:16:58 PM

Yeah, watched it on Amazon a while ago. It's dead good. The stuff about
Spoiler alert
Tim Taylor's death
[close]
is pretty upsetting obviously though.

Gregory Torso

Also, not sure if it qualifies as a documentary because I haven't watched it yet, but earlier I was looking for Soap-Jo Henshi videos and found this on Youtube, which is two hours of mad Japanese bands, including lots of Boredoms/EYE according to the uploaders description

Music For Psychological Liberation

Quote"1. Clip of Boredoms at New Music Seminar 2. Introductions by hosts. 3. Shonen Knife - twenty-plus minute live clip take in Osaka in November. 4. Nelories - You get their entire set from Psycho Nite at the New Music Seminar. Also footage in London recording John Peel Session. 5. Hijo Kaiden - Live at Alchemism '93 Fandango, November 20th. Plus incredible footage from a very old Kyoto gig in which the audience fled in terror (you have got to see this). Also, an interview with Jojo Hiroshige. 6. Solmania - Recent live clip. Interview. Berkeley Gilman Street clip. 7. Masonna - Bears practice clip, interview. KALX Radio live footage. 8. Bustmonsters - Live at Alchemism '93. See review in this issue. 9. Angel In Heavy Syrup - Live at Fandango. 10. Sakiri - Live in Japan (old). Live In USA (new). 11. Soap-Jo Henshi - Live at Muse Hall. Great show. Interview. 12. Superball - High school punk girls. Absolutely no musical ability whatsoever. Live at Club Quattro. Opened for Lunachicks. Yoko blows soap bubbles and jumps rope. Chinnachin plays the recorder. Nao sings the ABC song. The drummer is a toy bear. Nao calls for a drum solo. Interview. Footage onstage with Lunachicks. David Hopkins tries to get the band to answer a question. Brief clip onstage with Lunachicks. This is one of the best things on the video. 13. Yamatsuka Eye - A) Early Hanatarash footage. A very young Eye throws around oil cans and cases of beer bottles. The caption gives a history of Hanatarash-specifically the time that Eye destroyed a club with a steam shovel tractor. This looks really dangerous and I'm glad I wasn't there. B) UFO Or Die - I believe this footage is from the Time Bomb video release. Pro-Shot. C) Eye's apartment - Eye shows how he comes up with all those weird sounds. If you have any toys that make interesting sounds, send them to Eye. D) Dendoba - Boredoms fucking around unit. Cool clip. Bears. E) More Of Eye in his apartment. More toys and and gadgets. F) Concrete Octopus - Live at Bears 12/25/93 Eyecore. G) Eye melts an album on the stove and plays it on his turntable. Eye tries to record something in his bathtub. (You should see the stuff he keeps in his bathtub). The tape recorder doesn't work. H) Hanatarash - Footage from 1993. 14. Hanadensha - I think this clip is from 12/93. Better than Soundgarden. 15. Free Kitten - Triple Shocking Show clip. (Osaka Muse Hall?). 16. Omoide Hatoba - Alchemism '93 clip and Fandango. 17. Boredoms - A) The entire Psycho Nite NMS show right up until they pulled the plug. B) Footage from their US tour: Irving Plaza, The Kennel Club, and loads more. Most surprising moment: Matt Groening backstage at the Boredoms show drawing Bart Simpson with the caption "I Love The Boredoms, Man". C) An elated Yoshimi and ATR meeting Fishbone. D) A very brief clip from the tour with Nirvana: Yamamoto Seiichi, Dave Grohl, and Pat Smear practicing. Noise-jam encore with Nirvana. E) Yoshimi gets fan-mail. F) Pro-shot footage from Chicago."

Superball sound great!

kngen

Thought for a second that was going to have footage of the legendary 'Eye driving a digger through a venue wall' incident. But it seems that will only exist in photographs. I've been to a couple of bonkers Japanese noise gigs (sleep-deprived and unable to get drunk enough to relax) where it all goes a bit too fucking nuts. I can't imagine the fucking terror of the audience at the Hanatarash one, but sometimes I like to try.

MrSerious

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 05, 2021, 09:16:58 PM

It's fantastic. Does a great job of showing Tim Taylor to be the absolute one-off genius he was.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The aforementioned Bee Gees documentary, How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?, really does deserve all the praise it's received. The chapter on the notorious 'Disco Sucks' backlash is chilling - a flat-out display of teeth-bared racism and homophobia.

I suppose you could argue that the film is somewhat compromised by the involvement of Barry and his family - it skirts over the band's substance abuse problems and internecine strife - but that didn't really bother me. It's a surprisingly moving piece of work.

jobotic

Wasn't really aware of the Disco Sucks movement. Just looked it up. How delicious that the main twat behind it was from Chicago. How he must have loved house music.

When I first started listening to Peel in the late eighties there were always people moaning about hearing hip-hop, techno and African music.