Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:30:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ask Dr CaB

Started by Dex Sawash, December 11, 2020, 11:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Been prescribed gabapentin for my back they say is fucked and causing my leg to hurt. I don't intend to take it at all[nb]my assumption is it is just Bill Gates in tablet form[/nb] unless there is a recreational upside or it will actually speed the healing process. Been dealing with pain by just not sitting down at all.

tl;dr  gabapentin GBOL?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 11, 2020, 11:49:18 AM
Been prescribed gabapentin for my back they say is fucked and causing my leg to hurt.

Sciatica?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 11, 2020, 11:50:32 AM
Sciatica?

Yes but didn't know how to spell it

don't even know her

terrible!

Norton Canes

Mrs Canes suffers from intermittent sciatica and does a lot of yoga to alleviate the discomfort, don't know if you've tried that.

Chedney Honks

That would involve getting off his fat fucking arse

Dex Sawash

That does seem an extreme intervention tbf

QDRPHNC

You probably want to do some (very particular) stretches to get that disc back in mate.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 11, 2020, 11:58:10 AM
Mrs Canes suffers from intermittent sciatica and does a lot of yoga to alleviate the discomfort, don't know if you've tried that.

I have a bit of lower back pain from time to time and the occasional mild bit of sciatica. Yoga completely sorts it out. Yoga With Adrienne is a good YouTube channel to try, just search for "back pain workout" and you'll find something nice and gentle.

Adrienne has a lovely dog as well.

Butchers Blind

Dex Sawash

JUST TELL ME IF I SHOULD SNORT THE GABAPENTIN FFS

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 11, 2020, 11:49:18 AM
Been prescribed gabapentin for my back they say is fucked and causing my leg to hurt. I don't intend to take it at all[nb]my assumption is it is just Bill Gates in tablet form[/nb] unless there is a recreational upside or it will actually speed the healing process. Been dealing with pain by just not sitting down at all.

tl;dr  gabapentin GBOL?

I take gabepentin to stop my leg spasming like a bastard at night, and so love it dearly, and I haven't had any negative side effects either.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 11, 2020, 03:08:19 PM
JUST TELL ME IF I SHOULD SNORT THE GABAPENTIN FFS

Its pharmacology is pretty unique, but generally it will produce effects (some euphoria, calmness etc.) like other CNS depressants such as opiates, benzos or booze if taken in large enough quantities. Generally shitty side effects. Avoid taking with booze (as with all drugs) or opiates/opioids as can depresses respiratory control (stop breathing).

Evidence suggests it has middling to low efficacy when given for low back pain.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6028270/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5557428/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6452908/

But it can be a revelatory drug for some people with chronic/neuropathic pain.

But generally physio, exercise, CBT has better evidence base long term.

tl; dr

Can get high from it. Shit for back pain.

*I AM NOT A DOCTOR (although can be found doing doctory things)

Buelligan

Have you considered floating/swimming?  You could do it whilst high as long as you have a responsible adult and a boat hook[nb]I'm pretty sure you have access to one of these necessities[/nb].

Yoga is something I would never advise unless you are in the hands of a qualified practitioner who's aware of your limits and problems, old fruit. 

Quote from: Butchers Blind on December 11, 2020, 03:03:27 PM
Is this a euphemism?

And you wonder why more blue heelers don't post on this forum.

Buelligan

I want to live with two.

JaDanketies

There are a lot of people who take gabapentin for its recreational effects, however the real avenue to go down if you want to use that class of drugs to get high is the drug they give you if gabapentin doesn't work - pregabalin. Yanks call it Lyrica and they eat it like popcorn if you Google it. Hey it even appears on Talk to Frank.

However, the way they give you gabapentin, if SWIM's experience is anything to go by (they were on it for neuropathy), is that you take it until you get used to it. So they might suggest that you don't operate heavy machinery for a fortnight while your body acclimatises to the drug. SWIM was mainly sleepy. And then by the time it starts working, the high sensation has already worn off.

So what you might wanna do is accept the gabapentin, then say it doesn't work after a few weeks, and then they'll give you this pregabalin. Then don't take it and DM me when you've got a few packets.

Interestingly, the GABA bit of the words pregabalin / gabapentin is referring to a receptor in your brain, which is also affected by beloved favourites such as alcohol, benzos and GHB. So that gives you a ballpark of what kind of effect you might feel. Perhaps be cautious when mixing it with either of those three drugs, I dunno. Or any other CNS depressant.

Edit: I am not a doctor either. Your doctor or loved ones may argue I am one of the worst people to accept information about the recreational benefits of drugs from.

Small Man Big Horse

Gah, I never get the recreational high from prescription meds, both this and codeine have been great when it comes to painkilling and spasm prevention but I've not had a high of any kind from them.

The above does remind me though, when I drank alcohol when taking them I'd wake up throughout the night feeling desperately thirsty and with my heart pounding, but I found the way around that was to not take them that day, drink alcohol in the evening, stop half an hour before bed and take the pills then and all was fine. Well, I don't have the thirst or the heart palpitations at least, it may be possible that I'm damaging my body in other ways.

The Ombudsman

On a serious note, I was prescribed this for exactly the same thing.

It fucked me over, considerably. Weeks off work. I turned into a great big twisted brain wrong. Very pronounced mental issues ensued.

If you can do anything else, do that first.

QDRPHNC

Stretches.

I had brutal sciatica (which I've written about on here before), tried everything, until I found a good sports physio doctor who gave me some stretches which sorted me right out.

Worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. Nip this in bud, Dex.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 11, 2020, 05:09:22 PM
Stretches.

I had brutal sciatica (which I've written about on here before), tried everything, until I found a good sports physio doctor who gave me some stretches which sorted me right out.

Worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. Nip this in bud, Dex.

Great advice, a lot of pain killers now are prescribed cos it's easy to do and quick and so you can see the next patient etc and they don't treat shit, just manage it.

Pingers

Like JaDanketies says, Pregablin is the one with the main recreational value/side effects. It's due to become controlled in the UK due its implication in a number of polydrug deaths (cf Al's post), so best avoided except as described. I was once in a pharmacy and someone had scrawled PREGABS on the wall in a very shaky hand, which was a nice bit of deso.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Pingers on December 11, 2020, 05:52:41 PM
Like JaDanketies says, Pregablin is the one with the main recreational value/side effects. It's due to become controlled in the UK due its implication in a number of polydrug deaths (cf Al's post), so best avoided except as described. I was once in a pharmacy and someone had scrawled PREGABS on the wall in a very shaky hand, which was a nice bit of deso.

Pregabalin and gabapentin are already controlled drugs (Class C under Misuse of Drugs Act,1971 and Schedule 3 under Misuse of Drugs Regulations, 2001). Became controlled drugs in April 2019.

JaDanketies

David Nutt would've never done that shit. He doesn't do the top button of his shirt up.

Rev+

The other half used to be on this alongside buprenorphine, tramadol, diazepam, diclofenac and the occasional temazepam.  There may have been recreational side-effects, but who the fuck knows with all that other stuff rattling about as well.

Not that it should really influence your decision if the stuff is going to help, but of that happy bunch gabapentin is the hardest to stop taking by some distance.  It's supposedly akin to knocking the old smack on the head, but the process lasts a lot longer.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 11, 2020, 03:18:16 PM
I take gabepentin to stop my leg spasming like a bastard at night, and so love it dearly, and I haven't had any negative side effects either.

Have you tried just saying to your leg, "LEG. Not spasm."?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on December 11, 2020, 03:34:48 PM
And you wonder why more blue heelers don't post on this forum.

YES. Benji is lovely:

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 11, 2020, 11:24:54 PM
Have you tried just saying to your leg, "LEG. Not spasm."?

I have, over seven times. The leg spasm thing went on for about a year before I was given Gabapentin too, with the Doctors at my local surgery unable to suggest anything to help until I went to one with a print out of a page on the NHS website which basically read "If someone's having leg spasms, here are four different types of medication you can give someone", none of which had been prescribed in the past.

Cerys

Gabapentin slaughtered my appetite to the degree that I lost four stone in weight.  It's not a side effect that happens to everyone, though, fortunately.  This is a good thing, otherwise we'd be inundated by limping skeletoids.

Menu

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 12, 2020, 09:34:12 AM
I have, over seven times. The leg spasm thing went on for about a year before I was given Gabapentin too, with the Doctors at my local surgery unable to suggest anything to help until I went to one with a print out of a page on the NHS website which basically read "If someone's having leg spasms, here are four different types of medication you can give someone", none of which had been prescribed in the past.

A good(non-medicinal) thing to prevent leg spasms in bed is magnesium tablets. The muscle is spasming because the body doesn't have enough magnesium to control it. Also try magnesium oil that you rub on your legs morning and night, and magnesium flakes in the bath. It worked for my mum anyway.

Dex Sawash

I haven't taken any of the gabapentin yet, probably won't. Went to youtube to watch PT but ended up just watching Vancouver Carpenter hang drywall.