Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:05:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Marvel announcements, December 2020

Started by samadriel, December 11, 2020, 11:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvel-studios-announcements-updates-disney-investor-day-2020-kevin-feige-reveals/

Ton of stuff announced this week, lots of Disney+ as well as the cinema stuff. I'm pleased to see Fantastic Four announced, with John whatsisname who did the Spiderman movies directing. Can't be arsed dissecting it all, but... Oh, look, Kang the Conqueror is the baddie in the next Ant Man. I wondered what they were going to do with him.

purlieu

My last reply from the WandaVision thread:

Yes, Marvel announcements galore.
I see the Nick Fury series is confirmed to by Secret Invasion, which could have some wider ramifications to the whole MCU. I do really get the feeling these series are going to be much more important to the films than anything previously done. Were the Ironheart, Armor Wars and I Am Groot series mentioned before now? My MCU list is getting a bit out of hand, especially as the forthcoming Morbius, Venom and Deadpool films seem to be tying into the whole thing as well.

Oh yes, and very wisely (and unsurprisingly), T'Challa won't be recast, so we'll be getting a new Black Panther.

I'm planning on rewatching the first three phases, as well as the ABC and Netflix series, before getting started on Phase 4. In context of all the multiverse stuff I'll probably go through the older Spider-Man and X Men films, too.

And from the Spider-Men thread:
Quote from: Obel on December 11, 2020, 11:36:44 AM
Is there any way back for them after they do all this reality bending multiverse shit? You would imagine Phase 4 would be pretty surreal with how they're introducing all this wacky stuff. How are they going to move onto a new phase where there isn't anything like that? Surely people would find it a bit disappointing now. Unless this is just how they're setting things up so they can kill and resurrect heroes and villains and replace them with new actors forever... ah I just figured it out
It'll be interesting to see if they go full-on Crisis on Infinite Earths and make previous X-Men, Blade, Hulk, The Punisher, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider and Daredevil film incarnations canon. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the X-Men are introduced via the multiverse, as their backstory is far too long and in-depth to have occurred in the MCU and simply not been referenced.

We have Phase 4 and 5 currently set up, if I had to guess anything I'd say Phase 6 will have a Thanos-level multiverse-related enemy of some kind. My Marvel knowledge is far from in-depth, is there anyone obvious from the comics to fill that role?

Making good use of the pandemic, here.

samadriel

Quote from: purlieu on December 11, 2020, 12:16:17 PM
My Marvel knowledge is far from in-depth, is there anyone obvious from the comics to fill that role?

Not necessarily obvious, but the One Below All from The Immortal Hulk would be an incredible, undefeatable multiversal bad guy, and a good fit for Feige's talk about Multiverse of Madness being a "scary movie".

Glebe

Yes it's all going on, both movie and series wise. Between this and all the DC releases, 2021 is gonna be geek paradise!

purlieu

Yes, this is the current list of forthcoming MCU and MCU-adjacent projects:

WandaVision (15/01/21)
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (19/03/21)
Morbius (19/03/21)
Black Widow (07/05/21)
Loki (05/21)
Venom: Let There Be Carnage (25/06/21)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (09/07/21)
Eternals (05/11/21)
Spider-Man 3 (17/12/21)
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (25/03/22)
Thor: Love and Thunder (05/05/22)
Black Panther II (08/07/22)
Captain Marvel 2 (11/11/22)
What If...? (2021)
Ms. Marvel (2021)
Hawkeye (2021)
Moon Knight (2022)
She-Hulk (2022)
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2022)
Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (2022)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)
Blade
Deadpool 3
Fantastic Four
Secret Invasion
Ironheart
Armor Wars
I Am Groot

The amount of TV they're making - and all that new Star Wars TV stuff that Disney have announced too - is interesting in terms of how they're looking at entertainment consumption in the next few years. Some of this is really big name stuff, directly linked in with some of the biggest films of all time. There's a lot of confidence in TV shows now that wasn't there even a few years ago.

Mister Six

Fucking hell, I absolutely cannot be arsed with any of this except the films (and maybe Moon Knight; he seems interesting}. I know Disney's thing is just ragging all their properties to absolute fuck until no one cares any more, but I hope Feige is smart enough to make the TV shows completely disposable.

That said, I would really love another season of Benthal's Punisher, but I know that's never going to happen.

purlieu

If nothing else, the TV shows do seem to be largely mini/'event' series of six-to-ten episodes which should make the whole thing slightly less intimidating than it looks. A six part series of 40 minute episodes wouldn't be that much longer than some of the films.

purlieu

Quote from: Mister Six on December 12, 2020, 05:12:30 AM
I hope Feige is smart enough to make the TV shows completely disposable.
Ms. Marvel will be appearing in Captain Marvel 2, so watching the series will probably be at least partially useful. I'd imagine they'll be separate enough to watch them standalone, but the TV shows will flesh out concepts and characters explored in the films.

Thomas

On average, beginning in 2019, I watch one Marvel film a year. Last year it was Spider-Man: Homecoming. Earlier this evening I watched Deadpool. Doing my bit to slowly catch up with this endless list of properties. By the infallible logic of the tortoise and the hare, I'll have them all watched before even the most eager of fanboys.

sirhenry

Quote from: Thomas on December 14, 2020, 08:42:24 PM
On average, beginning in 2019, I watch one Marvel film a year. Last year it was Spider-Man: Homecoming.
Missed a trick - the other Spiderman film[nb]Into the Spiderverse[/nb] was better. So much better.

greenman

Quote from: purlieu on December 11, 2020, 12:16:17 PMWe have Phase 4 and 5 currently set up, if I had to guess anything I'd say Phase 6 will have a Thanos-level multiverse-related enemy of some kind. My Marvel knowledge is far from in-depth, is there anyone obvious from the comics to fill that role?

Neither is mine but I'v seen Kang mentioned as likely to be a recurring villain, the character supposedly has many different versions from alternate time lines/universes so maybe that will be the focus?

purlieu

I eagerly await the multiverse Kang team-up.

Thomas

Quote from: sirhenry on December 14, 2020, 08:46:18 PM
Missed a trick - the other Spiderman film[nb]Into the Spiderverse[/nb] was better. So much better.

That's next on my list. Wherever I've glimpsed discussion of Spiderverse, it has glowed with enthusiasm, even among comic non-fans.

Jerzy Bondov

Just to temper the Spider-Verse praise a bit, my wife said it was "too busy" and "exhausting"

frajer

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on December 15, 2020, 12:23:32 PM
Just to temper the Spider-Verse praise a bit, my wife said it was "too busy" and "exhausting"

Didn't get that from Spider-Verse but I had exactly the same response to The Lego Batman Movie. It was fun but gave me a headache (put that on your poster, Warner Bros).

Spiteface

Quote from: Mister Six on December 12, 2020, 05:12:30 AM
Fucking hell, I absolutely cannot be arsed with any of this except the films (and maybe Moon Knight; he seems interesting}. I know Disney's thing is just ragging all their properties to absolute fuck until no one cares any more, but I hope Feige is smart enough to make the TV shows completely disposable.

I'm waiting for the point that the MCU gets too convoluted to the pointnit becomes impenetrable, and they do a massive reset comic-style, and we just get everyone moaning about how the "old" universe/ continuity was so much better.

And the way Disney is going, this will totally happen. Sooner rather than later. Because I am not getting Disney+ just to follow this shit.

Mister Six

But we enjoy moaning.

Quote from: Spiteface on December 15, 2020, 12:54:46 PM
I'm waiting for the point that the MCU gets too convoluted to the pointnit becomes impenetrable, and they do a massive reset comic-style, and we just get everyone moaning about how the "old" universe/ continuity was so much better.

And the way Disney is going, this will totally happen. Sooner rather than later. Because I am not getting Disney+ just to follow this shit.

Yeah, Marvel have brushed a little close to this sort of thing before - first in Iron Man 2, which everyone seemed to agree was overlong because of the Black Widow and Nick Fury scenes; then in Avengers 2, which was just kind of a mess; then in Iron Man 3, which Jon Favreau stepped away from because of meddling by the management.

Each time they backed away a little and calmed down a bit, and I thought they'd finally realised that making things too convoluted is only going to push away the casuals that make up the majority of the films' billion-dollar hauls.

But I guess you can't stop Disney from being Disney.

Hopefully they'll be able to approach the series and films sensibly and make the series into support acts that are fulfilling for hardcore nerds but are unnecessary to understand what's going on if you only watch the movies. Hopefully.

(It does amuse me how much DC's approach has mimicked its comics - jumping straight in with the bloated crossovers and "big names", fucking it up totally and having to do a Flashpoint-type story to reboot the tangled-yet-fragmented continuity after just a few years.)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I reckon if the Disney+ shows were really going to be integral to the films they wouldn't all star the B-list supporting characters.

Mister Six

True, but there's talk of Wandavision seeding multiverse stuff, and the Sam Jackson series looks like it'll play into some Skrill business. If it is all sidelined, that would be ideal.

In other news, more headaches for the Black Panther producers after the actress who plays Shuri (their logical choice to replace T'Challa, since she's his sister, the franchise's breakout star, and would also be their first woman of colour protagonist for bonus woke points) shared an anti-vax video that also had transphobic content.

The video was 69 minutes long and the transphobic element apparently just mentioned in passing by the nutball preacher, so it's questionable whether she saw or paid attention to that bit, but of course the headlines have played it up and now there are calls for her to be cancelled. I imagine Disney will just plough on - it's not like being associated with LGBT-unfriendly religious nutters has hurt Chris Pratt any.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Mister Six on December 15, 2020, 02:17:51 PM
In other news, more headaches for the Black Panther producers after the actress who plays Shuri (their logical choice to replace T'Challa, since she's his sister, the franchise's breakout star, and would also be their first woman of colour protagonist for bonus woke points) shared an anti-vax video that also had transphobic content.

The video was 69 minutes long and the transphobic element apparently just mentioned in passing by the nutball preacher, so it's questionable whether she saw or paid attention to that bit, but of course the headlines have played it up and now there are calls for her to be cancelled. I imagine Disney will just plough on - it's not like being associated with LGBT-unfriendly religious nutters has hurt Chris Pratt any.

Marvel just confirmed that Star Lord is bisexual, so that's fun.

Gulftastic

Mister Six

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 15, 2020, 02:27:57 PM

In the comics. Doubt that'll make it to film.

bgmnts

Quote from: Goldentony on December 15, 2020, 05:31:04 PM
FUCK OFF

Haha for the record this was done to me a week ago and it made my blood boil. As if criticism is bad.

Goldentony

ah I suspected, I saw it and lost consciousness, woke up with that reply posted somehow

Obel

Does his bisexuality play into his arc in any way or is it just a meaningless bit of pandering?

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Obel on December 16, 2020, 08:08:37 AM
Does his bisexuality play into his arc in any way or is it just a meaningless bit of pandering?

Sounds like it probably is relevant, but I haven't read the comic.

phantom_power

Twitter was ablaze with people saying the same hilarious hot take of "Star Lord is bisexual, Chris Pratt reacts" with a GIF of someone looking devastated as if it is incontrovertible that he is homophobic. People are pretty pick-and-choose about how they process religion so him going to a certain church isn't really any sort of proof of his specific beliefs.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: phantom_power on December 16, 2020, 09:56:25 AM
Twitter was ablaze with people saying the same hilarious hot take of "Star Lord is bisexual, Chris Pratt reacts" with a GIF of someone looking devastated as if it is incontrovertible that he is homophobic. People are pretty pick-and-choose about how they process religion so him going to a certain church isn't really any sort of proof of his specific beliefs.

He's a member of a church that is explicitly homophobic, so it's not exactly a leap to assume he at minimum doesn't care about gay people.