Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:21:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Marvel announcements, December 2020

Started by samadriel, December 11, 2020, 11:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 16, 2020, 10:20:52 AM
He's a member of a church that is explicitly homophobic, so it's not exactly a leap to assume he at minimum doesn't care about gay people.

He disagrees with that claim and says he isn't in any way homo or transphobic. From a brief search it seemed a couple of high-up members of the church made homophobic remarks a few years ago but I don't think there is any proof that those views represent the church. In fact it wasn't even members of his church. It was members of Hilltop church, that his church is modelled on. So there is even more of a disconnect there.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: phantom_power on December 16, 2020, 12:52:10 PM
He disagrees with that claim and says he isn't in any way homo or transphobic. From a brief search it seemed a couple of high-up members of the church made homophobic remarks a few years ago but I don't think there is any proof that those views represent the church. In fact it wasn't even members of his church. It was members of Hilltop church, that his church is modelled on. So there is even more of a disconnect there.

Kindest regards,
my agent.

Lord Mandrake

It was clear he was doing interspecies sex on his spaceship in Guardians 1 so being bisexual is probably the least of it. I wish Marvel would explore the more seedy side of the MCU like that robot prossy planet in Guardians 2 and whatever the Grandmaster was into, Benicio Del Toro had alien women and ducks and Tobias Funke in display tanks! When is that story coming to Disney +?

MojoJojo

Quote from: Obel on December 16, 2020, 08:08:37 AM
Does his bisexuality play into his arc in any way or is it just a meaningless bit of pandering?

The brief summary I've heard is he stays on some planet with a couple for 100+ years, and about seven years in joins the couple to form a polyamourous triple. So it's not just one scene with him kissing a bloke, it is part of a story.

madhair60

Head Gardener

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Comics history aside, why wouldn't Nick Fury still be played by Samuel L. Jackson?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 29, 2021, 05:21:45 PM
Comics history aside, why wouldn't Nick Fury still be played by Samuel L. Jackson?

Marvel race-swapped Nick Fury to Sam Jackson in 2002, so a 90s version would be white. But I see what you mean, Jackson was a very famous actor in the 90s.

Also lots of those picks had their heyday in the 80s rather than the 90s.

Blumf

Nor convinced with Keanu as Dr Strange. How about Morgan Freeman?

Gulftastic

And Pitt wouldn't have worked as Captain America.

Would Hanks have been able to pull it off, or would the physique have been a problem?

I can't imagine Hanks in the role. Maybe Kevin Costner.

Joe Pesci as Rocket is spot on, as he was apparently Bradley Cooper's inspiration. Then again, the character is supposed to have a Cockley accent, so he should have been voiced by Bob Hoskins.

The Culture Bunker

Arnie as Drax seems a duff bit of casting - not sure he'd look at all convincing doing fight scenes, for example. Would be best to go with some top wrestler (not Hulk Hogan) of the time. Would have said Randy Savage, but doubt he could ever dial it down the required notches. Or even just a little bit.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 30, 2021, 09:40:15 AM
Arnie as Drax seems a duff bit of casting - not sure he'd look at all convincing doing fight scenes, for example. Would be best to go with some top wrestler (not Hulk Hogan) of the time. Would have said Randy Savage, but doubt he could ever dial it down the required notches. Or even just a little bit.

Roddy Piper. His performance in They Live is a good match.

mothman

It would have been a few years too early for it, but The Rock right at the start of his acting career (so, c. 2000/1 when he was in The Mummy 2, and ST:Voyager) would have made for a good Drax, I think.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: mothman on March 30, 2021, 09:10:02 PM
It would have been a few years too early for it, but The Rock right at the start of his acting career (so, c. 2000/1 when he was in The Mummy 2, and ST:Voyager) would have made for a good Drax, I think.
True. Bret Hart had the humourless nature right, but not quite the physical size required.

purlieu

THE LAST SUPERHERO !

I love these kinds of Wiki pages.
QuoteDifferences from the comics
In comics, Dugan has red hair, mustache and a bowler hat. None are present in the movie.
Gabe Jones' character was combined with Sidney "The Gaffer" Levine who was the S.H.I.E.L.D. scientist in the comics.
Kate Neville is an ESPer, unlike in the comics.
Alexander Pierce is British, whereas, in the comics, he is American.
Gail Runciter is an agent of Interpol, as opposed to being a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, like in the comics.
HYDRA agents appear with black Men in Black-type suits, rather than the green uniform from the comics.
Andrea's twin brother, Andreas, did not appear, but Andrea did have a younger brother named Werner (in the comics the twins had an older half-brother named Werner).
Andrea was codenamed "Viper".
Dr. Arnim Zola appears as an elderly HYDRA chemist responsible for the creation of the Death's Head virus.
Baron Strucker's body is shown frozen in a chamber; in the final scene of the movie, Baron Strucker is brought back to life.
QuoteNick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. was released on DVD on September 30, 2008 exclusively at Best Buy stores.

El Unicornio, mang

There must have been lines around the block at Best Buy stores on that day.

Glebe

New Black Widow trailer.

Brief appearance by Ray Winstone there (I think you could glimpse his back in a previous trailer).

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blumf on March 29, 2021, 07:05:14 PM
Nor convinced with Keanu as Dr Strange. How about Morgan Freeman?
Alan Rickman.

Is Chloe Zhao still stuck directing one of these now that she is likely to win a boatload of Oscars?

Bad Ambassador

Yes, they're hiring someone else to reshoot the finished film. She approached the studio to direct, rather than it being a work for hire job.

Mister Six

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 04, 2021, 05:33:30 PM
Yes, they're hiring someone else to reshoot the finished film.

Is this satire, or...?

Nomadland is fucking mint, mind you. I've only heard great things about her earlier films, too.

Quote from: Mister Six on April 04, 2021, 06:12:02 PM
Is this satire, or...?

I think it's a sly joke about the fact that Zhao can't still be 'stuck directing' a film that is by all reports basically finished and ready to go

purlieu

More newses.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania will come out on 17th Feb 2023.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will follow on 5th May.
Fantastic Four is likely to come 28th July.

Captain Marvel 2 is now called The Marvels (to tie in with the Ms. Marvel TV series).
Black Panther 2 is called Black Panther 2: Wakanda Forever.

Which makes the upcoming MCU list look a bit like this:

Loki (11/06/21)
Black Widow (09/07/21)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (03/09/21)
Eternals (05/11/21)
Spider-Man: No Way Home (17/12/21)
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (25/03/22)
Thor: Love and Thunder (06/05/22)
Black Panther 2: Wakanda Forever (08/07/22)
The Marvels (11/11/22)
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (17/02/23)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (05/05/23)
Fantastic Four (probably 28/07/23)
Blade (probably 03/11/23)

Upcoming TV series:
What If...? (2021)
Hawkeye (2021)
Ms. Marvel (2021)
She-Hulk (2022)
Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special
Moon Knight
Secret Invasion
Ironheart
Armor Wars
I Am Groot
Wakanda

With MCU-adjacent films also planned:
Venom: Let There Be Carnage (17/09/21)
Morbius (21/01/22)
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 (07/10/22)
Deadpool 3

So, er. Lots to get stuck into.

The Culture Bunker

I remember seeing them doing filming for that Morbius film in Manchester about 18 months ago.

Will be interesting to see if they finally break the hoodoo of Fantastic Four films not being very good. Dr Doom, used right, could be a good villain for the wider MCU, giving it the "diplomatic immunity!" with glee.

purlieu

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 06, 2021, 12:41:33 PM
Dr Doom, used right, could be a good villain for the wider MCU, giving it the "diplomatic immunity!" with glee.
Spoiler alert
There are rumours that he could appear in Loki. Given that the Disney+ series increasingly seem to exist to set up forthcoming films, this could definitely work.
[close]

Still can't believe how badly wrong they've gotten Taskmaster's costume. It's like something out of a Brian Singer X-Men movie.

I know. He doesn't look anything like Greg Davies.