Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:37:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bob Odenkirk is... NOBODY

Started by notjosh, December 11, 2020, 12:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

This came as a surprise to me. Bob Odenkirk plays John Nobody[nb]probably[/nb], a retired assassin on a mission to get back his daughter's 'kitty cat bracelet':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8j6P8QtAYw

It's pretty well worn territory nowadays, what with Taken and John Wick and A History of Violence and so on, and the trailer gets less interesting as it goes on. But I'm happy to watch Odenkirk in anything at this point.

notjosh

Further research reveals that this is from the director of Hardcore Henry, which was a hell of a film, and the writer of all the John Wicks, which were dull as you like. So it could be a visceral and unpredictable thrill ride or a tedious procession of emotionless nighttime fighting.

SteveDave

Quote from: notjosh on December 11, 2020, 12:49:17 PM
A History of Violence

This is what springs to mind from the premise but I'll watch Bob Odenkirk in anything (apart from Better Call Saul)

GoblinAhFuckScary

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I assumed from the description that this was a spoof, but the trailer seems to play it pretty straight (at least up until "Give me the God damn kitty cat bracelet!").

It's weird to think that in different hands, John Wick could easily have been just another drab Taken clone. If you genuinely think it's dull (wrong!) just imagine it directed by some hack and starring another middle aged actor, perhaps more respected than Reeves but without even a modicum of his action chops.

notjosh

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 11, 2020, 01:31:36 PM
It's weird to think that in different hands, John Wick could easily have been just another drab Taken clone. If you genuinely think it's dull (wrong!) just imagine it directed by some hack and starring another middle aged actor, perhaps more respected than Reeves but without even a modicum of his action chops.

I just find Keane Reeves to be an automaton in the film, and don't like or care about any of the characters (it's set in a world populated entirely by complete cunts). And, despite the meticulous fight choreography, most of the action just looks like a computer game with very little sense of physical realism. I just don't know how it can be regarded as an action classic in a world where Jackie Chan exists. Hopefully this film will be a bit more human.

Brundle-Fly

That trailer is ridiculously spoilery. I know it's a huge cliche but I'm going to type it anyway.

'I feel like I've seen the whole film',

Famous Mortimer

Two of the goons on the bus are (it looks like) Daniel Bernhard, star of the "Bloodsport" sequels, and Alan Moussi, star of the rebooted "Kickboxer" and that Nicholas Cage movie "Jiu Jitsu". I'd love to know the story behind Bob Odenkirk accepting this sort of role.

The good thing about the John Wick movies over any Jackie Chan one is you don't get quite so many moments where the movie stops to do an advert for Mitsubishi, and they're substantially less sexist. I don't think it's necessary for the star to be a skilled stunt performer, either.

Butchers Blind

Think it'll be fun to see Bob Odenkirk punching and shooting people. I'm in.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm concerned. This thread has been around for hours and Blue Jam hasn't popped in to lust after lovely, twinkly, cheeky Bob.

What sort of a name is Nobody, anyway? Noone is a real surname that means the same thing, if you mispronounce it.

Quote from: notjosh on December 11, 2020, 02:56:22 PM
I just find Keane Reeves to be an automaton in the film, and don't like or care about any of the characters (it's set in a world populated entirely by complete cunts). And, despite the meticulous fight choreography, most of the action just looks like a computer game with very little sense of physical realism. I just don't know how it can be regarded as an action classic in a world where Jackie Chan exists. Hopefully this film will be a bit more human.
You are of course welcome to your opinion (wrong though it is!!!) and I'd agree that the series has become less engaging as it has gone on and gotten bigger, but the first one is a bona fide classic, Jackie Chan or otherwise.

wooders1978

It actually looks alright - I saw the gold things, is this set in the "wickverse"?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 11, 2020, 01:31:36 PM
I assumed from the description that this was a spoof, but the trailer seems to play it pretty straight (at least up until "Give me the God damn kitty cat bracelet!").

Hmmm. Reminds me of Con Air and "Put the bunny back in the box". And that is not a good thing.

Quote from: Butchers Blind on December 11, 2020, 03:29:03 PM
Think it'll be fun to see Bob Odenkirk punching and shooting people. I'm in.

Maybe it's because I'm just too used to seeing him in Better Call Saul, but I prefer watching him being a resolutely non-badass loser. This just looks all wrong to me.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 11, 2020, 03:59:12 PM
I'm concerned. This thread has been around for hours and Blue Jam hasn't popped in to lust after lovely, twinkly, cheeky Bob.

Ha! I like the stubble. Not sure about him hairing up for this though, and FFS I've always found smoking really unattractive. No-one smokes anymore. How is smoking still considered badass in 2020?

Meh. Don't think I'll be rushing out to watch this one.

petercussing

It's weird that something that looks like a spoof sketch from Mr Show if it were around today is something he's actually genuinely in.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 12, 2020, 02:53:56 AM
Hmmm. Reminds me of Con Air and "Put the bunny back in the box". And that is not a good thing.

Maybe it's because I'm just too used to seeing him in Better Call Saul, but I prefer watching him being a resolutely non-badass loser. This just looks all wrong to me.

Ha! I like the stubble. Not sure about him hairing up for this though, and FFS I've always found smoking really unattractive. No-one smokes anymore. How is smoking still considered badass in 2020?

Meh. Don't think I'll be rushing out to watch this one.

Sensible move, Jammers. The equivalent of mine refusing to watch top ITV level drama bafflingly broadcast on BBC 1 series Doctor Foster, despite the presence in the cast of Her Who Plays Villanelle doing that Posho Southern English accent she likes doing ( you can tell).

That film might be worth watching, if you just watch it as a spoof, you know, sort of like Jez and Mark watching that dead cultural play in the theatre, but imagining They're watching an Al Pacino film.

samadriel

Blue Jam

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 12, 2020, 09:34:01 AM
Sensible move, Jammers. The equivalent of mine refusing to watch top ITV level drama bafflingly broadcast on BBC 1 series Doctor Foster, despite the presence in the cast of Her Who Plays Villanelle doing that Posho Southern English accent she likes doing ( you can tell).

Stay strong, Lisa.

Him Who Plays Saul Goodman is a very good actor with a big range, his acting does seem good in this and I'm a fan of casting against type, but this trailer made me cringe a bit tbh. I think it's just the concept of the everyman dad character who's secretly a badass, and any film that reminds me of Con Air would seem to be one to avoid.

The wig's a bit distracting too. It's alright in BCS, it's not like they could have cast a younger actor to replace him, and Jimmy McGill is supposed to have a really bad haircut/burgeoning combover so it works. HWPSG still looks much better without it though.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 12, 2020, 09:34:01 AM
That film might be worth watching, if you just watch it as a spoof, you know, sort of like Jez and Mark watching that dead cultural play in the theatre, but imagining They're watching an Al Pacino film.

I dunno, it might be like that time I watched Snakes On A Plane and hated myself for it.

Awww I feel a bit harsh now, I'll wait for some of you CaBbers to watch it and report back before I judge it any further. Trailers often spoil a film but this could be more Wiener-Dog than In The Loop in that regard.

Blue Jam

Actually, is that guy who growls "Are you okay? 'cause you don't look okay" meant to be a Mike Ehrmantraut type? That is pretty funny tbf.

Mister Six

Sort of glad they spoiled everything in the trailer, because at first it looked like they were just doing Breaking Bad, but with the wrong cast member.

I went off John Wicks 2 and 3 because they ditched any pretence at having a plausible world and vulnerable protagonist, and the effect was like watching someone do a Let's Play of a particularly stupid video game with God Mode turned on. The poster showing Odenkirk getting punched, and the various scars and scrapes on his face in the trailer at least suggest he's not supposed to be an indestructible super soldier in this.

On the other hand it all looks desperately generic, and only the kitty-cat bracelet line and (weirdly) the exploding cereal box suggest any hint of quirk or visual flair.

Will probably end up watching it on a plane in a couple of years (Covid willing) unless I hear anything surprising about it in the meantime. I love Odenkirk but he alone isn't enough to get me watching Taken 4/Death Wish 6.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mister Six on December 12, 2020, 03:55:32 PM
Sort of glad they spoiled everything in the trailer, because at first it looked like they were just doing Breaking Bad, but with the wrong cast member.

As soon as I typed "badass dad" and hit post I thought "Hang on, Walter White is a badass dad and Breaking Bad isn't shit, far from it". But no, Walter White isn't the same kind of character at all, he's a sociopath motivated by pride and whose claim that he's just trying to protect his family is just a pretence. He wouldn't go on a murderous rampage trying to recover a treasured posession for one of his children, he'd just tell them to quit being such a baby and then ply them with tequila until they puked in the pool.

Quote from: Mister Six on December 12, 2020, 03:55:32 PM
Will probably end up watching it on a plane in a couple of years (Covid willing) unless I hear anything surprising about it in the meantime. I love Odenkirk but he alone isn't enough to get me watching Taken 4/Death Wish 6.

Same here, he's in quite a few films on Netflix that I could watch but haven't because they just don't sound like the type of film I'd enjoy, romantic comedies and the like. Come to think of it I still haven't seen Run Ronnie Run, think that's on there but I've heard very mixed things about it.

If you want to check out a good film he's in I can recommend Nebraska. He only has a small part but it's a lovely little feelgood film.

Blue Jam

I've also just remembered that he's a proper British comedy geek who likes bigging up The Royle Family and Alan Partridge in interviews so he probably lurks here. Careful lads.

Mister Six

Well his hair is thinning so that fits. What's his mental health and phimosis status?

Brundle-Fly

And he has to regularly say 'cognitive dissonance' and ' Nobody has said that. Read my post again' in a post before he's a true Cabber.

Blue Jam

What's the CaB concensus on The Post? I just remember those minimalist posters saying Streep Hanks in Helvetica and assuming it was some kind of Oscar bait. Until today I had no idea it was a tense political drama about The Pentagon Papers and a bit of a satire about the Trump administration. Or that Odenkirk is in it (along with a few other BrBa alumni).

It was also directed by famous Oscar snubee Steven Spielberg, so perhaps not that Oscar bait then. Might give it a go:

https://youtu.be/nrXlY6gzTTM

Heh, that "government secrets" line makes me think of the lie detector sketch from Mr. Show and the bit about stealing stuff from NASA: "Pens. And plans. Space plans."

Blue Jam

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 11, 2020, 03:08:11 PMI'd love to know the story behind Bob Odenkirk accepting this sort of role.

Just seen this interview here:

https://ew.com/movies/bob-odenkirk-nobody-first-look/

I dunno, maybe if I was an actor who got offered what might be my last chance to play at being an action hero I might think "Fuck it, this might be a right laugh" and go for it. Bit like Thirrrr Ben Kingsley in Bloodrayne.

QuoteOdenkirk trained for two years with standout stuntman Daniel Bernhardt, learning a melange of boxing, jujitsu, karate, and judo moves, and delighting in the camera-ready beatdowns. "The fist-bloodying fight sequences were as much fun as being in a comedy room," he says. "I mean, I've never had that much fun since we wrote Mr. Show. It's a group effort. Anytime you see a fight sequence in a movie that has a bunch of people, as soon as they yell 'Cut!,' everyone laughs. There's all this interaction and group problem-solving that goes on."

Yep, understandable. Bit like that Camden sequence in Spaced.

Also explains why he was looking so buff in BCS season 5...

QuoteMastering martial-arts moves wasn't the actor's most daunting challenge, though. "The hardest thing to do was the lack of irony," he reveals. "Scenes with high-concept feelings, with characters who are enraged or bereft, but there's no joking in it. You don't get to puncture the moment with a laugh or a wink

Sorry, that's me out.

Anyway, I watched Nebraska again at the weekend. The real star is June Sprigg (my god, what a total ledge, saw her pop up in Curb Your Enthusiasm this week too) but whatever, it's a bloody lovely fuzzy feelgood film. Go and check it out.

samadriel

olliebean

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 22, 2020, 01:52:06 AMSorry, that's me out.

Yep, me too. It's not the thought of Odenkirk sans irony that bothers me, it's that I tend to find this sort of movie in general unwatchable without a hefty dose of it.

frajer

This does seem like it will be po-facedly terrible but the presence of Odenkirk is enough to keep me in.

I've been rewatching Mr. Show recently and loving loads of it just as much as when I watched back in the day. If they get just one classic Odenkirk "GodDAMNIT" into the Nobody film I'll be very happy.

Blue Jam

Quote from: olliebean on December 22, 2020, 02:47:37 PM
Yep, me too. It's not the thought of Odenkirk sans irony that bothers me, it's that I tend to find this sort of movie in general unwatchable without a hefty dose of it.

I do enjoy the occasional big daft action thriller but I think "daft" is the operative word there. Michael Bay films are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine but most of them feature giant robots kicking the shit out of each other so what's not to love? I like the Pacific Rim films but they've got giant robots kicking the shit out of giant sea monsters, plus Charlie from It's Always Sunny as a mad scientist. This film just looks a bit generic. A bit Thundergun. Thunderbob*.

Quote from: frajer on December 22, 2020, 03:24:18 PM
I ve been rewatching Mr. Show recently and loving loads of it just as much as when I watched back in the day. If they get just one classic Odenkirk "GodDAMNIT" into the Nobody film I'll be very happy.

There is at least one GODAMMIT in BCS, when Cinnabon Gene gets locked in with the bins, and I'm convinced it is an entirely deliberate and knowing GODAMMIT.

* Credit to dr beat for that one.

frajer

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 22, 2020, 06:30:57 PM
There is at least one GODAMMIT in BCS, when Cinnabon Gene gets locked in with the bins, and I'm convinced it is an entirely deliberate and knowing GODAMMIT.

Ha nice, I'm keen for a complete Saul rewatch so will keep an ear out.

Odenkirk also delivers one of my favourite bits of swearing ever when he takes the day off Mr. Show for supermarket errands and sees how immediately messed up it gets in his absence. "What the FUCK?"