Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:29:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bob Odenkirk is... NOBODY

Started by notjosh, December 11, 2020, 12:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: frajer on December 22, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
Odenkirk also delivers one of my favourite bits of swearing ever when he takes the day off Mr. Show for supermarket errands and sees how immediately messed up it gets in his absence. "What the FUCK?"

Oh I know exactly which bit you mean. That's my favourite Mr. Show swear too. Better than all the GODAMMITs together.

On second thoughts this film might be worth seeing for the swearing alone:

https://youtu.be/LafMgjmBV2k

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

13 schoolyards

I suspect the real crowd-pleasing emotional pay off here won't be Odenkirk murdering dozens of chumps who messed with him, but that he spends 99% of the film just being this quiet, beaten-down guy doing what has to be done, and then right before the final fight one last thing pushes him over the edge and he lets out a classic Bob "What the FUCK?!?"

Cinema erupts in applause, Oscars all round, best film of the 2020s.

Blue Jam

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on December 23, 2020, 05:07:41 AM
I suspect the real crowd-pleasing emotional pay off here won't be Odenkirk murdering dozens of chumps who messed with him, but that he spends 99% of the film eating the bodies and declaring that they taste like delicious chickens

13 schoolyards

"SHUT UP HONEY I HAVE TO LIVE WITH THIS NOW YOU HAVE TO SUPPORT ME"

Blue Jam

"Hey! You are not Nobody!"
"I was last night..."

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: frajer on December 22, 2020, 06:59:38 PMOdenkirk also delivers one of my favourite bits of swearing ever when he takes the day off Mr. Show for supermarket errands and sees how immediately messed up it gets in his absence. "What the FUCK?"

It is glorious isn't it? Nobody can swear quite like Bob. That never fails to make me laugh.

frajer

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on January 27, 2021, 10:18:17 AM
It is glorious isn't it? Nobody can swear quite like Bob. That never fails to make me laugh.

Same here - absolutely deadly, every time. Went on a Mr Show rewatch in December and it was just the ticket for the winter blues. For his turn as the hated milk machine alone Odenkirk deserves every award under the sun.

Where do I go NOWWWWWWW?

The Mollusk

I've always thought Bob is a much better "comedic" singer than David. David is kind of almost close to actually being a good singer, whereas Bob is actually dreadful and plays right into it, which is funnier. The way he rolls right into the song after speaking in the Satanism talk show sketch is amazing. His fucking face.

https://youtu.be/qI2AS8MiCJk?t=249

Blue Jam

I do have to admire the way he doesn't give a fuck that he can't sing for toffee and actually seems very proud of it. Bob and David have a nice bit of contrast  going on- David can sing very nicely which just makes Bob's terrible singing even funnier.

Nice bit of contrast with Michael McKean's beautiful voice here in BCS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qll7hCYFNjs

I remember seeing some comments on this scene about how you actually have to be a really good singer to deliberately sing that badly. Presumably from people who have never seen Mr. Show.

Blue Jam

Anyone else trying to get fit during lockdown? Why not try BOBERCISE™?

https://youtu.be/Xs7pTA3Nfuo

Hmmmm. Nah, I think the Van Hammersly method is more my style.

(video contains a few fighty bits from the film)

Blue Jam

Reviews are out and they make the film sound a lot better than the trailer does:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/nobody_2021

Heheheh, looks like I underestimated a Nobody! Who knows, this might be a fun watch after all...

Mr Trumpet

He was good in that rotoscoped animation, Undone. Neat little show, that was.

Shaky

Watched this last night and while it's not unenjoyable during the silly, ultra-crunchy action scenes, it's largely too (intentionally) cartoony to fully get on board with. And on top of that, it's also the first time I've really felt put off by the middle-aged male wank fantasy element of it all. There's an unpleasant, upfront message that guns and violence are all you need to make your wife, kids and YOU respect you again. I dunno, normally that doesn't bother me too much and I can leave my values at the door, but here it did.

Odenkirk is fine but it could've been almost anybody (or NOBODY). Again, somewhat intentional but he never looks particularly interested.

Blue Jam

...yes, but does he shout "GODAMMIT!" at any point?

Thanks for that Shaky. That's interesting because while the reviews have mostly been glowing it seems the main criticism is that this is basically Toxic Masculinity: The Movie. Maybe one for John Wick fans but not for BCS fans, unless you're right in the intersect of that particular Venn diagram.

Got John Wick queued up on Now TV, might give that a go first.

Mister Six

John Wick 1 is great fun. 2 and 3 become too implausibly cartoony and without consequence for me. If 2 doesn't click with you, there's no point carrying on.

Blue Jam

Just got half an hour into John Wick before deciding I absolutely hated it and couldn't go on. Think I'm in the wrong bit of the Venn diagram here lads.

Also
Spoiler alert
THEY KILLED THE DOG!
[close]
. Should have looked on
Spoiler alert
first I guess.

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 16, 2021, 12:05:47 AM
Also
Spoiler alert
THEY KILLED THE DOG!
[close]
. Should have looked on
Spoiler alert
first I guess.
If you can think of a better motive for going on a berserk, verging on genocidal rampage, I'd like to hear it.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 16, 2021, 12:40:14 AM
If you can think of a better motive for going on a berserk, verging on genocidal rampage, I'd like to hear it.

This is a very fair point.

I'm not squeamish and I'm not bothered by violence in films but
Spoiler alert
I'm just completely soppy for dogs and seeing them get hurt is a big no-no. That bit in Anchorman where Jack Black punts little Baxter off the Golden Gate bridge? Nope, can't even watch that.

I'd like to imagine Bob The Serial Dog Rescuer wouldn't stand for this sort of thing in Nobody though:

https://www.doesthedogdie.com/media/91439

Ahhhh, that's alright then.
[close]

Quote from: notjosh on December 11, 2020, 02:56:22 PM
I just find Keane Reeves to be an automaton in [John Wick], and don't like or care about any of the characters (it's set in a world populated entirely by complete cunts)

Yeah, this was pretty much how I felt about it too. Also while I'm no filmmaker I couldn't help noticing that it seemed very plainly shot, but maybe I've just been spoiled by AMC and HBO and Sky Atlantic with all their beautifully-shot high-budget drama series.

Spoiler alert
And the dog dies :'(
[close]

Vitalstatistix

Assumed this was going to be some sort of satire of the masculine fantasy trope but it's just another empty rehash. Loser gains respect through punching, essentially, with very little else of interest to say. Very weird that this is an Odenkirk vehicle.

Blue Jam

Bob'n'Ilya did a Reddit AMA yesterday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/ms6x7n/im_bob_odenkirk_and_im_gonna_fck_you_up_okay_lets/

QuoteWell, it would make me so happy if Nobody became a "franchise"

I can't blame him for wanting to make the most of all that training but tbh I'd rather he just went and made a load of films with Alex Payne and The Coen Brothers.

Quite keen to see this now if only to see how weird it is.

SteveDave

This is now available.

When Michael Ironside turned up looking like the American diabetes man from "Cocoon" I screamed.

Moribunderast

I really enjoyed this but I was drunk, have a huge amount of love for Bob and didn't think about the themes or message for even one second, so take that for what it's worth. I rarely watch action films but it was fun to watch Bob Odenkirk, of all people, beat on hoodlums. I thought the film flew by, as well, which I'll take over the period recently where it felt like all action movies decided they needed to be three hours long. This one reminded me a bit of The Villainess - gives just enough context for the story while understanding that's not what you're watching for, then gets on with the set-pieces.

brat-sampson

Solid entry in John Wick-a-likes, does swerve pretty wildly between the violence being gritty and both sides taking knocks to... whatever that bonkers ending sequence was, but good killins, some fun lines, and Odenkirk wears it well.

13 schoolyards

I did enjoy the swerve halfway through where, after the usual "damn, my family won't respect me unless I start with the killing" toxic masculinity set-up, Bob basically said "yeah, I knew this suburban family shit wouldn't last, I love killing too damn much, sorry loved ones I'm a professional murderer now and you have to support me in this".

I wouldn't think there was enough here to support a franchise, but if they really leaned into It's Bob Odenkirk and He Loves Killing it would totally work.

frajer

Watched this last night and enjoyed it but a lot of parts felt oddly flat. The car chase especially felt perfunctory.

As others have mentioned, odd tonal shifts too. I would have preferred it if once Bob-damnit went full killer the film had embraced the insanity and never let up, but there were a fair few lulls and slow bits after that bone-crunching bus scene.

Still, some great fights, and Bob Odenkirk as an action hero is just a joyous thing that I am happy exists. Three bags of popcorn and a Christopher Lloyd role I wasn't expecting.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 12, 2020, 05:37:40 PM
I've also just remembered that he's a proper British comedy geek who likes bigging up The Royle Family and Alan Partridge in interviews so he probably lurks here. Careful lads.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jun/07/bob-odenkirk-soon-people-wont-remember-breaking-bad-saul-nobody-action-thriller

Quote"Let me tell you my favourite book," he says, eager to squeeze out one final recommendation while he can. "The funniest book ever written is The Framley Examiner. They're putting out a compendium. I bought eight copies."

Reckon he's bookmarked the Earth-Shattering Local News thread? He'll be offering his opinions on Ron next.