Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:14:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films you truly consider 'so bad they're good'

Started by Thomas, December 12, 2020, 03:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earl_sleek

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on December 12, 2020, 03:28:25 PM
The Buck Rogers film (technically a pilot for the TV series but released in cinemas), specifically the disco dancing scene.

https://youtu.be/NcfnRl0Gwcc

I used to love that film as a kid. The tune Buck awkwardly dad-dances to is a fuckin jam though!

Ferris

Quote from: druss on December 12, 2020, 10:35:06 PM
KNOWING

Promising first half leads to utter madness as it all falls to pieces in the second, with some classic OTT Nic Cage.

Cage has form. Vampire's Kiss is woeful yet compelling, as is the remake of The Wicker Man.

A lot of his other films are just bad pieces of cinema, but those two go above and beyond into "fun to watch" territory.

Menu

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on December 12, 2020, 08:30:13 AM
San Andreas (2015). Ludicrous even by 21st century blockbuster standards, but somehow you just can't stop watching. Hilarious Freudian imagery at beginning and end (The Rock guiding his chopper into a crevice; Ioan Gruffud's pride-and-joy skyscraper toppling over). Don't you love a disaster movie where the hero mainly only rescues members of his immediate family/close acquaintances? My pick as worst film of 2015, by far, but I keep wondering whether to buy the 3D Blu-ray, which I suspect I would play a lot.

Kylie plays a bitchy character rather well in it.

Fr.Bigley

elliszeroed

The Christmas Cottage
A film  based on the paintings of Thomas Kincaide. Starring one of the guys from Supernatural.

From the Wikipedia:

QuoteThomas Kinkade's Christmas Cottage is one 2008 Christmas biopic directed by Michael Campus (the first film he had directed in over thirty years). It stars Jared Padalecki, as painter Thomas Kinkade, and features Peter O'Toole, Marcia Gay Harden, and Aaron Ashmore. O'Toole was in final negotiations to join the cast in April 2007.[2]

Peter O'Toole.
Marcia Gay Harden.

Slugs
Killer slugs on the rampage in a 1980's rural American town- fantastic b-movie schlock with OTT gore. 

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: earl_sleek on December 13, 2020, 01:25:35 AM
I used to love that film as a kid. The tune Buck awkwardly dad-dances to is a fuckin jam though!

The tv series had some great compositions. Most notably Johnny Harris' Oddysey as featured in Space Rockers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8BCVVUSmWo

Bazooka

The Island of Dr Moreau (Brando + Val Kilmer), especially with the all the stories of how difficult it was to get finished, the animal human hybrid actors spending hours in make up then not actually doing any acting, so shagging and drinking instead.

Although on a technical level it's not that bad, it's of its time.

jobotic

Just been looking these up. Love this quote from Wikipedia on Dr Moreau. Probably not true but still funny.

QuoteThe constant rewrites also got on Brando's nerves, and as on many previous productions, he refused to learn lines, so he was equipped with a small radio receiver, so that his assistant could feed his lines to him as he performed - a technique he had used on earlier films. Thewlis recollects: "[Marlon would] be in the middle of a scene and suddenly he'd be picking up police messages and would repeat, 'There's a robbery at Woolworth's'

Noodle Lizard

The Room is the best of the bunch, I reckon. I just watched it again for the first time in a while with my wife, who somehow hadn't seen it and didn't even know of its existence - despite my house being littered with signed copies of the original screenplay, Wiseau brand boxers and Wiseau brand footballs, not to mention compulsively inserting Wiseauisms into my daily discourse. We had to pause at least once a minute because we were laughing so hard, and she now claims it was the funniest thing she'd ever seen.

As other posters in this thread have mentioned, it's in another league to a lot of the traditional "so bad it's good" fare because of how utterly disconnected from the world it (or at least its creator) is. It really is like something an alien would make after watching some James Dean films or Coffee Friends, and the mysterious provenance of its creator only adds to that impression. It's unironically in the top ten of my favourite movies of all time, because there's nothing else like it and the joy it brings me is endless. I think seeing it for the first time whilst I was doing a poor-quality filmmaking course in LA with a lot of similarly ... ambitious? ... types really made it hit home. It's that kind of delusion taken to its most extreme conclusion.

JaDanketies

Superfluous answer but since nobody's said it yet, Troll 2, the true Best Worst Movie.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 08, 2021, 08:46:41 PM
Superfluous answer but since nobody's said it yet, Troll 2, the true Best Worst Movie.

This is up there for me, but the documentary Best Worst Movie is required viewing afterwards.

Similarly, The Disaster Artist[nb]The book, not the James Franco/Seth Rogen movie adaptation, which is point-missing shite.[/nb] is an essential supplement to The Room.

lipsink

Samurai Cop is just absolutely hilarious.

https://youtu.be/Fvni9KbZfoo

I has to stop watching it one evening during the sped up fight sequence cos I was hurting from laughing so much.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 08, 2021, 08:46:41 PM
My mates were interviewed for "Best Worst Movie" at a convention somewhere, and said the reason they were there was because I'd made them watch it so often. I've never seen the doc so I can't say if they made it to the final cut or not. Oh, and another mate was on tour with his band, needed some dental work and realised it was only 45 minutes out of his way to get the guy from Troll 2 to do it. Apparently, he was very happy to share stories and accept the adulation.

"The Room" is in one of my favourite sub-genres, the vanity project. Stuff like the aforementioned "Cool As Ice" and "Miami Connection", and:

Tiger Claws
Jalal Merhi was a jewel salesman in Canada, but cashed out of the family business to get into movies. He's still working today, just about, but this is about him and Cynthia Rothrock as a couple of cops who are trying to take down a serial killer who's going after martial arts instructors. He's a decent martial artist but beyond terrible as an actor, and has negative chemistry with Rothrock, who tries gamely. There are lots of scenes where she's just sat in a car twiddling her thumbs while Jalal is kicking ass in a warehouse somewhere. The sequels are pathetic, too. Enjoy it on Youtube here.

A few others that just popped into my head:

Gigli
Perhaps not as funny as its initial detractors would have you believe, it's worth watching because it feels completely unfinished - 90% of the movie takes place in an empty apartment or driving round in a car. You could tell me they'd released the rehearsal footage by accident and I'd totally believe you.

Things
The director once sent me an abuse-filled email because my payment for a copy of his DVD was three days late. His previously unreleased "Wicked World" was just released on blu-ray, but I've yet to pluck up the courage to watch it.

Blumf

Quote from: lipsink on January 08, 2021, 10:18:19 PM
Samurai Cop is just absolutely hilarious.

Saw it for the first time last week.

The film Lethal Weapon wished it could be.

holyzombiejesus

Combat Academy. I've mentioned it on here a few times but it really is an absolute fucking hoot. Just watch the first 90 seconds here....

https://youtu.be/hpLNHL6BakQ?t=77

Edit: Actually keep watching til 6m35. It's fucking ace.

Famous Mortimer

I got the "Ninja Vortex" blu-ray set for my birthday - check it out here - and I'm looking forward to seeing some Godfrey Ho movies in the finest quality possible (I'm sure they're all just as shite as on VHS). "Ninja Terminator" is definitely a qualifier for this category.

Phil_A

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 10, 2021, 09:42:45 PM
I got the "Ninja Vortex" blu-ray set for my birthday - check it out here - and I'm looking forward to seeing some Godfrey Ho movies in the finest quality possible (I'm sure they're all just as shite as on VHS). "Ninja Terminator" is definitely a qualifier for this category.

Holy shit, Godfrey Ho on Blu-Ray? Can such a thing exist?

I wonder if they actually tried to clear any of the music tracks on this version, as the old cheapskate DVD distributors clearly never even bothered trying. After extensive Shazamming I've concluded basically all the music in those films was ripped off from somewhere else, it's quite breathtaking in it's brazenness.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 08, 2021, 11:43:46 PM
Combat Academy. I've mentioned it on here a few times but it really is an absolute fucking hoot. Just watch the first 90 seconds here....

https://youtu.be/hpLNHL6BakQ?t=77

Edit: Actually keep watching til 6m35. It's fucking ace.

Is that Corporal Klinger at 17 mins?

Rizla

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on January 08, 2021, 12:08:22 PM
Slugs
Killer slugs on the rampage in a 1980's rural American town- fantastic b-movie schlock with OTT gore.
Isn't that is the sole film adaptation of a book by prolific U.K. pulp horror writer and real-life Garth Marhengi, Shaun Hutson? I remember him being on the James Whale Radio Show and them showing clips of the slugs coming out the taps.

dissolute ocelot

I watched a lot of Hallmark-style Xmas movies over the appropriate period. Most are merely bad, but there were a couple that were so bad they're good. Sadly they all have plots involving concussion or time travel, and they all star either Alicia Witt or a blonde woman with nice teeth, and the lead character is always either a bookshop employee or a "Christmas consultant" (a made-up job for a woman with stylish knitwear who's paid by rich people to organise their tree and shit) so I'm not even sure which was which.

There was a truly amazing one in which a meek shopworker with a cat accidentally runs into a rock star and he gets concussion and forgets who he is and they fall in love, and a nearly-as-brilliant one about a time-travelling dude from the 19th century who needs to find an antique clock to get back to his own time, and a slightly inferior but still watchable one with a shy millionaire with a lovely ballroom which the family never use like some cross between Footloose and Great Expectations. As I said, I do not know the title of any of these movies, and they may be less good after the Xmas decorations are down, but at Xmas every bad movie is good, it's a miracle.

Gregory Torso

I would "highly" recommend Tammy and the T-Rex. It's fuckin mad. Paul Walker is a high school student whose new girlfriend, Denise Richards, has a crazy mad ex boyfriend who turns up at the school wanting a fight. After a long swedge where they mostly just grab each other's dicks, the ex boyf gets chased off. Later, he and his gang kidnap Paul Walker and murder him with some lions in a park.

Meanwhile, a mad scientist has been experimenting with the idea of putting a human brain inside a massive animatronic tyrannosaurus rex just for the shits and giggles of doing that, so when Paul Walker's lion-mauled corpse is found, he jumps at the chance!

So Paul Walker, now reincarnated as a robot dinosaur, goes on an insanely gory rampage, tearing off faces and stamping kids into mince, before rekindling his relationship with Denise Richards. I think there's a bit where she dances in her bra and pants in her bedroom whilst Paul Walker the Dinosaur watches through the window, unable to masturbate because of his tiny arms.

In the end
Spoiler alert
Paul Walker is a brain in a jar and Denise Richards is still teasing him by dancing around in her bra and pants as they try and work out how they will have sex.
[close]

popcorn

You know, I don't think I've ever really personally found a film so bad it's good. I usually just find bad films boring.

Oddly the only exception I can think of is that recent Star Wars film, which is so flabbergastingly misguided I was quite entertained by it.

sutin

I thought The Room, a few funny lines aside, was just boring. The Disaster Artist makes watching it redundant, too.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Gregory Torso on January 11, 2021, 11:33:50 AM
Paul Walker, now reincarnated as a robot dinosaur
Sold! Even without the spoiler, which also sounds great.

My main criterion for a truly great bad movie is that it just keeps getting more and more ridiculous beyond your wildest dreams. It's that "picking your jaw up from the floor" factor.

riotinlagos

Love on a Leash (Full Movie | Trailer) is up there with the best of them.

James Nguyen's Julie and Jack (Full Movie | Trailer) is overshadowed by his magnum opus Birdemic but it's worth a look and some days I prefer it.

I have a soft spot for The Nostril Picker. It has a Troma vibe but at a gentler pace and stars a Neil Young lookalike.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on January 08, 2021, 12:50:30 PM
The Island of Dr Moreau (Brando + Val Kilmer), especially with the all the stories of how difficult it was to get finished, the animal human hybrid actors spending hours in make up then not actually doing any acting, so shagging and drinking instead.

Although on a technical level it's not that bad, it's of its time.

1st half = underrated classic.

2nd half (pretty much from the moment that Brando carks it and beyond) = Doesn't receive even half of the bile and vitriol which it so richly deserves.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Phil_A on January 10, 2021, 10:34:33 PM
Holy shit, Godfrey Ho on Blu-Ray? Can such a thing exist?

I wonder if they actually tried to clear any of the music tracks on this version, as the old cheapskate DVD distributors clearly never even bothered trying. After extensive Shazamming I've concluded basically all the music in those films was ripped off from somewhere else, it's quite breathtaking in it's brazenness.
I just watched "Ninja Terminator", and as far as I can tell it's the same as the crappy version of it from those "4 movies for $1" sets it was such a staple of - unlicensed Pink Floyd music and all. It's probably as nice as it's ever looked, but that's not saying much.

It is a cast-iron bad movie classic, though. Jaguar Wong! The Garfield phone! Absolute nonsense from beginning to end!

Mr Banlon

AsparagusTrevor

Jaws the Revenge is the greatest film about a roaring, super-sonic, grudge-holding fish ever made.