Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:38:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films you truly consider 'so bad they're good'

Started by Thomas, December 12, 2020, 03:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: Gregory Torso on January 11, 2021, 11:33:50 AM
I would "highly" recommend Tammy and the T-Rex. It's fuckin mad. Paul Walker is a high school student whose new girlfriend, Denise Richards, has a crazy mad ex boyfriend who turns up at the school wanting a fight. After a long swedge where they mostly just grab each other's dicks, the ex boyf gets chased off. Later, he and his gang kidnap Paul Walker and murder him with some lions in a park.

Meanwhile, a mad scientist has been experimenting with the idea of putting a human brain inside a massive animatronic tyrannosaurus rex just for the shits and giggles of doing that, so when Paul Walker's lion-mauled corpse is found, he jumps at the chance!

So Paul Walker, now reincarnated as a robot dinosaur, goes on an insanely gory rampage, tearing off faces and stamping kids into mince, before rekindling his relationship with Denise Richards. I think there's a bit where she dances in her bra and pants in her bedroom whilst Paul Walker the Dinosaur watches through the window, unable to masturbate because of his tiny arms.

In the end
Spoiler alert
Paul Walker is a brain in a jar and Denise Richards is still teasing him by dancing around in her bra and pants as they try and work out how they will have sex.
[close]

I just watched this, it delivered

Famous Mortimer

Geteven!  (aka Road To Revenge)

Easily top 5 so-bad-it's-good of all time, and I can't believe it's taken me til now to watch it.

John De Hart was or is a lawyer, and for some reason in 1993 decided to make a movie. William Smith, Wings Hauser, one of the blokes from "Samurai Cop" and Pamela Jean Bryant (a former Playboy playmate) are the people you might have seen before - Smith and Hauser appear to be improvising all their dialogue, possibly in Hauser's case because he was steaming drunk in every scene.

The three men are cops, but Smith betrays the other two. Then Hauser gets drunk for the next hour. De Hart gets back together with his former fiancee, who's just gotten out of a Satanic cult. Smith becomes a judge, but still acts like a sleazy cop and sells drugs. Also, he's in charge of the Satanic coven. Eventually, Smith's goons kill Bryant, so in the last ten minutes of the movie De Hart decides to get even.

It's incredible. Nothing makes any sense. Because he was filming one "star" who was permanently sozzled, and one who was indifferent to learning lines, every scene either man is in feels weird and scratchy. De Hart is incapable of showing emotion. There's one shot where Hauser is passed out in front of the TV, by now showing static, and his ex wife comes in to argue about alimony, and a combination of two average actors improvising the messy end of their relationship, and the reverse shots of the static-spewing TV in the middle of a dark room, felt like some nightmarish melding of Cassavetes and early David Lynch - completely by accident, I'm sure.

Oh, and De Hart does all the soundtrack, and it's every bit as hideous as the movie. Sounds like Jandek covering Bryan Ferry.

It's really got to me how weird and bad this was. I can't recommend it highly enough to the readers of this thread.

SteveDave

We watched Battlefield: Earth the other weekend and I found myself really enjoying it. It's like a parody of a bad film. It does feature one of my now favourite moments in film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=ntiPIVSiysQ

Blumf

Quote from: Marner and Me on January 20, 2021, 01:22:41 PM
Escape From New York

??

Where does it fail in what it sets out to do?

Now, Escape from LA, where they try to ramp up everything from EfNY but over-egg it (Big Trouble in Little China arrived at the exactly right destination EfNY started off for). I could see that.

Ghosts of Mars would be another Carpenter failure, but it's too boring to really belong in this thread.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Blumf on January 20, 2021, 02:28:39 PM
...over-egg it (Big Trouble in Little China).

Over-side Egg Shen it (Big Trouble in Little China).

Fambo Number Mive

I'm watching Fight of Fury after seeing the trailer posted in the LCTMYCWL thread. It's a very serious subject (human trafficking, which isn't funny) but the film is so low budget and ridiculous it's hard not to laugh in places.

One scene has students in a classroom, they are all sitting around three big round tables and they are around 14 years old, you'd think big round tables would only be for younger children.

Another scene it looks like the big boss has his lines stuck to the laptop screen and briefly takes a look at them.

There is also the only training scene I've seen where the "master" spars with the "pupil" and stops her during the fight by hugging her and saying "shh, shh". They then sit together with drinks of water and there is a sudden cut to a closeup of a muscle, and then cut back to them sitting together.

It's free on Amazon Prime at the moment and you can rent or buy it on Youtube, not sure about other services.

The actors aren't too bad but I think it's one for this thread.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blumf on January 20, 2021, 02:28:39 PM
??

Where does it fail in what it sets out to do?

Now, Escape from LA, where they try to ramp up everything from EfNY but over-egg it (Big Trouble in Little China arrived at the exactly right destination EfNY started off for). I could see that.

Ghosts of Mars would be another Carpenter failure, but it's too boring to really belong in this thread.

Like Robocop 2 I think Escape from LA is one of those films that seemed over the top at the time but the world has become stupid enough that it seems kind of prescient now.

NoSleep

A Road House related collectable (sold out!):

I wonder if the grammar in the book is as good as on the webpage?

dissolute ocelot

On the original theme, Olympus Has Fallen is fucking hilarious. Koreans torturing American politicians singing The Star Spangled Boner. I've not seen any Red Dawn but it all seems lovely.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 07, 2021, 06:07:21 PM
I'm watching Fight of Fury after seeing the trailer posted in the LCTMYCWL thread. It's a very serious subject (human trafficking, which isn't funny) but the film is so low budget and ridiculous it's hard not to laugh in places.
Puts hand on Fambos shoulder and talks in a meaningful voice
There's so much there for fans of shitty movies.  It's just so guerilla I love it.  Need a bad guys boss set?  Just throw some rugs on the floor of your dojo and out up some plasterboard for walls.

Need a shot of a police car?  Then go out and film a parking enforcement vehicle.  Need a shot of a helicopter?  Then point your camera at the sky and hopefully you'll find one.

The editing during the establishing shots is amazing.  One of them is literally a car driving forward from a parking space and stopping again.  Then there's this awesome camera move where instead of dollying over the camera does like a huge U shape.

The ADR is fantastic, I swear the guy who plays Nikki is playing the whole thing for laughs.  I fucking love it, but find watching it in 20 minutes chunks work best.

It's also fun spotting all the references to Bruce Lee movies, a couple of the shots are the same, the main character is called Brandon after Brandon Lee.

Highly recommend it.  I'm at the point where I'm waiting for him to do another Kickstarter so I can shower him with money to make another

prwc

I've further damaged my brain with this narcissistic train-wreck, which is simultaneously an arduous slog (the brutal length of 138 minutes REALLY doesn't suit it) and a fascinatingly wrong-headed ego trip. The preposterous plot concerns a psychic super healer played by Stuart Paul (who of course directed it also) helping out a team of troubled youths through their various addictions and issues (ranging from anorexia to possibly being gay!) via group therapy sessions and a magic self writing book. This attracts the ire of Dr. Crazx, a chocolate bar addicted psychiatrist played by a disgraced Jon Voight (who is apparently managed by the directors brother) who decides to frame our hero for murder. Far from being some no budget amateur work, this is made much more bizarre by apparently costing $30 million to make! The dreadful score is by Michel Legrand, a man who has worked with Welles, Losey, Demy, Godard and Varda. This credit seems to have been removed from his Wikipedia page. The cinematographer worked with Stanley Kubrick yet it's a fucking eyesore, like a Hallmark Movie from a decade earlier. I would dearly love to see a making of this.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on February 14, 2021, 12:35:05 AM
Puts hand on Fambos shoulder and talks in a meaningful voice
There's so much there for fans of shitty movies.  It's just so guerilla I love it.  Need a bad guys boss set?  Just throw some rugs on the floor of your dojo and out up some plasterboard for walls.

Need a shot of a police car?  Then go out and film a parking enforcement vehicle.  Need a shot of a helicopter?  Then point your camera at the sky and hopefully you'll find one.

The editing during the establishing shots is amazing.  One of them is literally a car driving forward from a parking space and stopping again.  Then there's this awesome camera move where instead of dollying over the camera does like a huge U shape.

The ADR is fantastic, I swear the guy who plays Nikki is playing the whole thing for laughs.  I fucking love it, but find watching it in 20 minutes chunks work best.

It's also fun spotting all the references to Bruce Lee movies, a couple of the shots are the same, the main character is called Brandon after Brandon Lee.

Highly recommend it.  I'm at the point where I'm waiting for him to do another Kickstarter so I can shower him with money to make another

Agree 100%

I'm watching it again now and enjoying perhaps the only scene in film where a minion is sat on a comfy leather sofa whilst being told off by his boss who sits in front of a cheap wooden desk.

I see the main character's daughter is the daughter of the writer and director (who also plays the main character). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12222074/

I must check out Shuny Bee's other two films, to see if they are as funny as this one. He even tells a character (Randy, who says "farting style" instead of "fighting style" at one point) in the film how to get to his martial arts academy: https://www.facebook.com/beemartialarts/

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Gregory Torso on January 11, 2021, 11:33:50 AM
In the end
Spoiler alert
Paul Walker is a brain in a jar and Denise Richards is still teasing him by dancing around in her bra and pants as they try and work out how they will have sex.
[close]

The brain also cums sparks, such a strange creation.

Nobody Soup

I'm not sure if this is bad, it's just so odd and shocking in such a casual way it should be bad, but I heartily recommend Let Sleeping Dogs Lie , for doing that tired movie trope thing of taking an idiomatic phrase and making it literal, but here it just vaults the shark entirely. A romcom that just does lots of boring romcom things but with an underlying premise that is so jaw dropping everything else is warped by the context.

Egyptian Feast

Also known as simply Sleeping Dogs. It's an oddly sweet movie given the premise. If you haven't seen it, Bobcat Goldthwait's next movie World's Greatest Dad is definitely worth a watch.

kryton2.0

I watched the Room (or most of it) for the first time a month or so ago. And my word it really is shit.
The dialogue is really uncanny, disjointed as though someone had the very basics of script but didn't expand on anything - neither the emotion nor sense of realism and place or character.
At times I thought maybe the joke was on me, for it felt that it couldn't be so shit, at least some parts of this weird fucking film had to be deliberate, but no apparently not.

The guy who made it is a strange fellah, I often wonder if he was mildly on the spectrum and understood the basics of human bonding and emotion, but just couldn't tap into it when penning the script. But just thought fuck it, let's make it.

Also it's not just the dialogue, there's just a really rushed feel to it all, odd camera angles, weird props, terrible acting.

I've yet to watch/read the Disaster artist.

'I owe him some money'

'What KIND of money?'

bgmnts

Its very evident that Wiseau had some kind of traumatic  background and was maybe treated like shit by a girl and some mates for a while, whilst he was being an amazing fella.

touchingcloth

Quote from: madhair60 on January 16, 2021, 06:12:08 PM
I just watched this, it delivered

I've just googled it, and before I had even finished typing it google had populated the search dropdown with

QuoteTammy and the T-Rex
1994 film

...which is after Jurassic Park.

Famous Mortimer

Me, You, Madness (I think it was mentioned in this thread, or at least somewhere in this forum) had some people posting scenes on Twitter this weekend, so I guess I ought to give it a go now.

Fr.Bigley

Freddie got fingered give a nutcase a shit load of money and make the citizen Kane of bad films. I absolutely love every second of it. Awful writing, awful acting , terrible direction and editing, but my got infinitely watchable and the right kind of shite.

DrGreggles

Yesterday's Shit Movie Sunday offering was the notorious Hollywood Cop.

Definitely worthy of its undoubted "so bad it's good" status.

EOLAN

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 15, 2021, 05:09:11 PM
Yesterday's Shit Movie Sunday offering was the notorious Hollywood Cop.

Definitely worthy of its undoubted "so bad it's good" status.

I trust Robert Mitchum's son is the guy with the beard.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on March 15, 2021, 02:26:24 PM
Freddie got fingered give a nutcase a shit load of money and make the citizen Kane of bad films. I absolutely love every second of it. Awful writing, awful acting , terrible direction and editing, but my got infinitely watchable and the right kind of shite.

Bollocks, it's great.

St_Eddie

Quote from: EOLAN on March 16, 2021, 10:26:28 AM
I trust Robert Mitchum's son is the guy with the beard.

Nah, that's clearly Noel Edmonds.

NoSleep

Quote from: bgmnts on March 14, 2021, 04:24:47 PM
Its very evident that Wiseau had some kind of traumatic  background and was maybe treated like shit by a girl and some mates for a while, whilst he was being an amazing fella.

If that was true I think the film would have been more grounded in reality, which it certainly isn't.

Famous Mortimer

"Hollywood Cop" has some fun bits - the horribly unappealing oil wrestling scene; the sexy dancing ladies in a normal suburban backyard; the extreme revenge taken by the father of the raped girl; the way that kid is able to communicate with that dog - but it's not quite as much a masterpiece as Amir Shervan's other more famous "Cop" movie.

Sebastian Cobb

Can Death Wish 3 be added?

The whole series of films does a less good Rambo thing where PTSD is kind-of touched on in the first one then abandoned for the sequels where they just
become a lone vigilante settling scores.
Both Winner and Bronson were clearly just efficiently 'knocking it out' in a timely fashion rather than doing anything spectacular.
The politics is just some libertarian batman-esque wank fantasy.
The gang is fucking ridiculous as are the Police.

It's a lot of fun though and I really enjoy it.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 17, 2021, 11:06:29 AM
"Hollywood Cop" has some fun bits - the horribly unappealing oil wrestling scene; the sexy dancing ladies in a normal suburban backyard; the extreme revenge taken by the father of the raped girl; the way that kid is able to communicate with that dog - but it's not quite as much a masterpiece as Amir Shervan's other more famous "Cop" movie.

But that's comparing it to possibly the greatest SBIG movie of all time!
Hollywood Cop is so badly made that there's something to 'enjoy' in every scene.