Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:15:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 11

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, December 13, 2020, 05:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hat FM

I quite like Jamali's argumentative persona. I've found his stand up is quite like shouty american comics and quite different to most of the British comics that we are used to seeing on taskmaster.

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on April 07, 2021, 08:38:31 PM
If true, on paper that would be the worst group they've ever had.

I'm disappointed that it means there'll be at least one more socially distanced series.

They recorded the studio segments for series 10 and 11 on consecutive weeks, so it's possible that they've wrapped up series 12 and 13 over the last fortnight and that the names mentioned above aren't actually from the same lineup.

amateur

Come on then you pricks, let's have some great tasks.

jobotic

Ja'moke

I don't understand why they have to be socially distanced for the team tasks when they all arrive and leave essentially hand in hand.

SteveDave

When were these filmed? Alex squeezing passed Lee to get into the toilet gave me the fear.

Ja'moke

I wonder if they could take the entire toilet roll holder off for this task.

EDIT: Yes.

bigfatheart

I'm gonna disagree and say that these have been three good, solid tasks.

When/where were the "studio" audience recorded for this series, then?

Ja'moke

Quote from: bigfatheart on April 08, 2021, 09:48:53 PM
I'm gonna disagree and say that these have been three good, solid tasks.

Same. I've enjoyed these tasks tonight.

g0m

I'm really liking this episode so far. The toilet paper task is making me very nervous

selectivememory

Really enjoying this series so far. There's no weak link in the line-up, and for the most part the tasks have been great and open enough to interpretation that we've seen quite a bit of variation in the way the contestants have approached them.

If I have one quibble, the prize tasks haven't been that good. Better than the last series at least, but still, it's my least favourite part of the show these days.

bigfatheart

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on April 08, 2021, 09:50:54 PM

Think it was screened for an audience in a (socially distanced) cinema, wasn't it?

Captain Z

Quote from: SteveDave on April 08, 2021, 09:40:54 PM
When were these filmed? Alex squeezing passed Lee to get into the toilet gave me the fear.

I laughed at this bit but didn't even think about distancing at the time, good point! What stood out to me was Lee then going right up to an apparent stranger's car and asking them to take hold of some random object. No wonder the driver looked rather worried. Then I wondered how they found out where she drove to without some poor producer having to chase her car down the street and beg her to cooperate further.

Also, and it's very Alex, but I liked "That's a good question." "Thank you".

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on April 08, 2021, 09:50:54 PM

Cinema screenings late last summer.

I thought that was an top episode. Lee's disqualification(s), Lee using the task to wipe banana off his helmet, Mike having an absolutely lovely day, Sarah's sugar reveal and the woman in the car all felt like classic Taskmaster moments.

Jamali is great in the studio segments. In the space of four episodes he's gone from not being arsed to being desperate to win.

Good contestants plus (mostly) simple tasks are making for a great series. There's still time for them to mess it up because the quality of series 10 plummeted in the second half, but last week's airport security task has been the only bad one so far.

Virgo76

Quote from: selectivememory on April 08, 2021, 11:09:44 PM
Really enjoying this series so far. There's no weak link in the line-up, and for the most part the tasks have been great and open enough to interpretation that we've seen quite a bit of variation in the way the contestants have approached them.

If I have one quibble, the prize tasks haven't been that good. Better than the last series at least, but still, it's my least favourite part of the show these days.

I agree with all this. Sarah Kendall must be the favourite to win now, surely?

greencalx

Not so bothered about the Mack-Horne squeeze - I presume cast and crew were regularly tested throughout - but Mack approaching the woman in that car did make me nervous, assuming it was a random punter. Even in the summer we were still supposed to be keeping our distance from strangers.

I love the way that Wozniak provides such a cheerful running commentary of what he's up to - makes his slightly bizarre approach to the tasks seem completely normal.

Unusual for someone to be so far in the lead at this stage. I'd assumed they gerrymandered the order of the tasks in the shows to make it tight at the top. Maybe there's a shock in store?

Old Thrashbarg

The prize tasks really need freshening up somehow. I can't remember what they were like in series 9, but they've been consistently terrible (and not funny) throughout 10 and 11. Probably not helped by the situation, with no audience reaction for them to work with, but I don't think even that changing would do much to elevate those segments currently.

bigfatheart

Quote from: greencalx on April 09, 2021, 07:56:26 AM
Unusual for someone to be so far in the lead at this stage. I'd assumed they gerrymandered the order of the tasks in the shows to make it tight at the top. Maybe there's a shock in store?

I remember Kerry Godliman having such a commanding lead in series 7 after only a few episodes that it seemed a foregone conclusion, and in the end she only won by a point. Similarly I was rewatching an episode from the back end of the last series not long back, and they mentioned Richard Herring being in joint third, ten points off top. So it's not necessarily insurmountable.

I've always assumed that one of the main considerations when selecting the tasks for an episode was helping to build particular narratives for the series as a whole, and last night did seem to be designed to dash any of Mike's hopes. Although of course, the banana/toilet roll tasks needed to be shown together for Lee's 'banana on his helmet' bit to make sense. Shame for Mike that he cocked them both up.

Captain Z

Alex Horne said on one of the podcasts that they build episodes purely around a balance of different tasks, and whoever wins the episode is coincidental. He doesn't like the idea of 'fixing it' so that each contestant wins at least once.

SteveDave

Taskmaster Top Trumps.

FUN FOR ALL THE FAMILY! ALL OF YOUR FAVOURITE TASKMASTER CONTESTANTS IN TOP TRUMP FORM!

Categories

1 Prize Task Ability
2 Temperament
3 Lateral Thinking
4 Speed
5 Live Task Ability

I will accept 75% of the gross takings @alexhorne

Utter Shit

Jamali's ongoing (one-way) passive-aggressive feud with Alex is still one of the highlights for me, one of the best moments for me was when he said "a little less attitude next time" when Alex questions whether he needs to go and get a cup of water during the banana task...I really don't see how anyone can see moments like that as anything other than a 'bit' that they're both in on.

Also I loved the cut from Lee claiming that the younger contestants would just pour the jelly on the floor to Jamali asking if he can pour his jelly on the floor. Perfectly timed edit.

Everyone's really bringing something to the party this series - I don't think I can praise any of them without acknowledging all the others being great as well, Mike Wozniak is probably the standout but all of them have been good in different ways.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Captain Z on April 09, 2021, 09:24:30 AM
Alex Horne said on one of the podcasts that they build episodes purely around a balance of different tasks, and whoever wins the episode is coincidental. He doesn't like the idea of 'fixing it' so that each contestant wins at least once.

That's clearly a lie though

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on April 09, 2021, 08:11:43 AM
The prize tasks really need freshening up somehow. I can't remember what they were like in series 9, but they've been consistently terrible (and not funny) throughout 10 and 11. Probably not helped by the situation, with no audience reaction for them to work with, but I don't think even that changing would do much to elevate those segments currently.

I'm sure there are alternatives that would work (a version of the "buy a gift for the Taskmaster with this £20" task?) but they could fix it by just having a producer guide them in the right direction. I know they like to keep things real, but ultimately it's a comedy show and if it stops people getting someone to stick a stock photo on the screen then I don't think anyone would complain.

Spode

Was convinced there was going to be a second reveal after Lee Mack for the toilet roll task, especially with Jamali going on about his 5 points and a middling effort going on last. Would have been up there with Joe Wilkinson's foot on the green.

Gone from enjoying this 'for a socially distanced series' to it being right up there with one of my favourites of any series. Great contestants, decent tasks.

Under no circumstance will I be watching a series with Russell Kane in though. Learnt that the hard way with Iain Stirling.

Quote from: Spode on April 09, 2021, 09:07:41 PM
Under no circumstance will I be watching a series with Russell Kane in though. Learnt that the hard way with Iain Stirling.

Don't worry - I don't think it's happening.

bigfatheart

To be fair he wouldn't even be the worst Russell they've had on the show.

andy33

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on April 09, 2021, 08:11:43 AM

Ed Gamble made a good point about the prize tasks on the podcast. He said, rightly I think, that they have drifted away from the absolute central point: that they are supposed to be prizes. That means they are also supposed to be good, something people might want to win (or at least not lose). These days the contestants only seem intent on finding something that fits the category, rather than something appealing that fits the category. Hence, Jamali's plastic cup/DMC's panty liner, etc. are just terrible for more than one reason. Gamble actually came out in favour of Jamali's cup, after hearing the explanation that the word "best" in "best drinking vessel" had been interpreted as meaning "most efficient". And by doing so he essentially argued against his own earlier observation. But I think he was on to something with his first point. Contestants just need to be reminded what the "prize" bit of the prize task actually means.

greencalx

I guess in TV terms the point of the prize task is for the audience to get to know the contestants before going to the filmed tasks. But it also needs to be entertaining, which is difficult if the contestants don't make an effort.

So far I'd put this series alongside the first two in overall quality, but below 5 and 7 which were my favourites so far. (Not seen 10 yet, will probably come to that once 11 is over).

jobotic

Prize task is shite.

I can't get enough of Mike - I want to be his best friend - but his was terrible. Waste of my important time.