Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 11

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, December 13, 2020, 05:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwilson

Quote from: andy33 on April 09, 2021, 09:53:37 PM
Ed Gamble made a good point about the prize tasks on the podcast. He said, rightly I think, that they have drifted away from the absolute central point: that they are supposed to be prizes. That means they are also supposed to be good, something people might want to win (or at least not lose).

I don't know about that, I think the only aim should be to be funny. Who was it that brought in an entire bathroom suite? Johnny Vegas? Not a prize you'd want to win necessarily but the idea of the winner having to take it home is great.

Retinend

I just watched the finale of series five with the two songs for that cellist woman ... this is the best series they ever did 👏

Virgo76

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 07, 2021, 11:54:01 PM
Nah, the boring cunt will just keep banging on about Queen as if they weren't fucking awful.
I don't think this would be a problem on Taskmaster.

Virgo76

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 02, 2021, 10:42:15 AM
I might have missed something, but Mike Wozniak's prize task was clearly meant to be a joke, wasn't it? As in, there never was any sculpture, it was just a load of broken glass in a box. I thought it was clear from the ludicrous description and the invoice, but on the Podcast, Ed and Katherine were discussing it as though they were genuinely gutted that they couldn't have seen it. And Greg in the studio didn't call him out on it.
What did the invoice actually say?

olliebean

Quote from: Captain Z on April 08, 2021, 11:17:46 PMAlso, and it's very Alex, but I liked "That's a good question." "Thank you".

Indeed, I've already used it myself, and it felt remarkably satisfying.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: mjwilson on April 10, 2021, 01:03:57 PM
I don't know about that, I think the only aim should be to be funny. Who was it that brought in an entire bathroom suite? Johnny Vegas? Not a prize you'd want to win necessarily but the idea of the winner having to take it home is great.

It was Mark Watson in series 5 with the bathroom and as I recall the actual task was "the most difficult thing to take home", which either reinforces or negates Gamble's point depending on your view of whether the prizes should be worth winning or just funny. I'm very much in the latter camp and got a great laugh out of things like James Acaster answering "MC Hammer" to the thing people most want to touch.

BeardFaceMan

I think I'm somewhere in the middle, I don't think the prizes should be worth winning but that they should be things that the comedian thinks will win the task, and be funny. The main problem with the prize tasks of late has been the utter laziness of the comedians, like the prize task is just something to get put of the way before the real show starts.

Retinend

the prize section was hilarious this week though, with the "craziest" things - it reminded me a little of "Peter's Mad Thoughts"

mjwilson

I mean no-one has ever topped "reindeer skull" so maybe they should just have stopped doing prize tasks after that.

Retinend

This YT channel is doing episode by episode breakdowns, as well as a lot of other Taskmaster related content.
https://www.youtube.com/c/jamiedoestv/videos

This is her series ranking lowest to highest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tKHmFiawPs

DrGreggles

7 and 5 were definitely the best 2 series.

frajer

Yeah I veer between 7 and 5 as my favourite run too, both absolutely cracking contestant line-ups.

That's an interesting list and I reckon a lot of those placings are fair, but I'd put Series 9 far lower myself.

DrGreggles

Was 9 with Baddiel?
That or 6 were probably the worst.

8 should be higher, as Lou Sanders was great.

Retinend

Handy graphic here:

and this was series 10:

The first series is still my favourite. Five and seven are top tier too. Six and ten are the only ones I'll probably never revisit. And series eight is really underrated (despite Iain Stirling), while series nine is massively overrated (Katy Wix was wonderful, but Baddiel and Brand were a waste of space and time and I find career-focused Ed Gamble particularly irritating).

frajer

Been on a rewatch recently and I'd agree with all of that.

Rose Matafeo was brilliant in Series 9 too, but overall it felt like an uneasy mix of contestants. Despite, or maybe because of, loving Peacock & Gamble, the Avalon-era Ed Gamble leaves me cold and his outraged yelling at Baddiel (who admittedly was a clueless irritant) wore thin.

Series 1 is excellent. Key is an all-timer, and he and Skinner doing team tasks makes me ridiculously happy.

Wet Blanket

Season 6 is the worst by some margin, followed by 9 for me. 7 probably just pips 5 for me on account of Jessica Knappett's bravura performance. I think 8 is underappreciated by the ranking above. Lou Sanders and the Inbetweeners guy made up for Iain Stilring being a ballbag

holyzombiejesus

I think 6 was fine. 1, 5 and 7 are the definite top 3, don't care which order, they're all sublime. Having said that, it's surprised me that even the best series contain people I can't stand or at least bug the fuck out of me.

frajer

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 13, 2021, 11:49:49 AM
I think 6 was fine. 1, 5 and 7 are the definite top 3, don't care which order, they're all sublime. Having said that, it's surprised me that even the best series contain people I can't stand or at least bug the fuck out of me.

Widdicombe for first series? If so I can't stand him either, but the rest of that group's so strong that it carries him along.

Loved that they gave him all the solo counting tasks to fuck with him, until someone pointed out that the bonus point he was awarded for this arguably led to him winning the series as he did so by just 1 point, and he then went on to become the reigning champion of all Taskmaster. Doesn't feel right.

g0m

Quote from: Retinend on April 13, 2021, 09:37:10 AM
This YT channel is doing episode by episode breakdowns, as well as a lot of other Taskmaster related content.
https://www.youtube.com/c/jamiedoestv/videos

This is her series ranking lowest to highest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tKHmFiawPs

certainly 1, 4, 5 and 7 are my favourites. it's funny how many of my [american] friends will probably rate 4 pretty low because they can't stand noel fielding

greencalx

4 doesn't really do it for me, whereas I'm ok with 9. I think there's no argument about 6 being the worst.

Gambrinus

6 is deffo the worst, although I still catch myself singing "Taskmaster,tasks to be done. Lots of tasks,lots of fun" to myself on occasion.

8 was very good. Sinha, trains, and the Inbetweeners fella made it.

The squash court task from the first series is probably still the best one they've done. The NZ series copied it but not as well.

turnstyle

I really hope the rumour about
Spoiler alert
Russel Kane
[close]
being in the next series isn't true.

I'd rather be diagnosed with inoperable terminal bum rot AND forget to put the bin out for collection, my own anus killing me from within while the whole affair is played out to the backdrop of an increasingly overflowing bin emanating the toxic stench of rotten fish finger scraps and cat sick.

g0m

Quote from: greencalx on April 13, 2021, 08:56:51 PM
4 doesn't really do it for me, whereas I'm ok with 9. I think there's no argument about 6 being the worst.

I'd put 6 above 8 for sure. i don't want to have an argument about it though.

greencalx

I agree it's not worth arguing about. However the reason why I could stomach 8 more than 6 is that, Stirling aside, the other contestants mostly put ina good effort and managed to entertain despite him. I felt Howard dragged the whole show down. Tarbuck aside, the other contestants were all a bit lacking in energy in that run which I don't think can be said of 8. I guess it comes down to how much you can ignore the annoying contestant. I found that surprisingly easy with Stirling, but near impossible with Howard.

DrGreggles

Tarbuck and Vine were both good in 6, but the rest were pretty bad.
Three bad TM contestants are an even worse watch than one Iain Stirling.

frajer

Series 6 has such an odd tone, I think mainly due to bad mix of contestants.

This was the first time I'd seen Asim Chowdhry and his showing here actively put me off watching People Just Do Nothing (I've since watched it all, it's absolutely ace, and he's great in it). He was just boring here and him calling Tim Vine "fucking weird" is the lowpoint of the series for me. It didn't come across light-hearted and there was a weird sense of it being ok for the younger "cooler" contestants to gang up on Vine.

Throw in relentless LAD Howard and dull Levine and it's the only series that feels like a slog to get through.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: frajer on April 14, 2021, 09:42:17 AM
Series 6 has such an odd tone, I think mainly due to bad mix of contestants.

This was the first time I'd seen Asim Chowdhry and his showing here actively put me off watching People Just Do Nothing (I've since watched it all, it's absolutely ace, and he's great in it). He was just boring here and him calling Tim Vine "fucking weird" is the lowpoint of the series for me. It didn't come across light-hearted and there was a weird sense of it being ok for the younger "cooler" contestants to gang up on Vine.

Throw in relentless LAD Howard and dull Levine and it's the only series that feels like a slog to get through.

Hit the nail on the head there, there was some borderline bullying of Tim Vine that series and he's the only reason worth watching it, the other contestants were pretty crap that series. And Chowdhry can fuck right off, I wouldn't watch anything with him in it in the future.

Series 5 is king though, even if it does have Mark Watson. Bob Mortimer being Bob and a sexually frustrated Sally Phillips going mental in a caravan? Yes please.