Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:07:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 11

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, December 13, 2020, 05:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencalx

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 19, 2021, 02:41:10 PM
Yeah Wozniak is just a naturally funny man, plus he knows Greg Davies so that should develop over the coming weeks. I thought Charlotte Ritchie was great, she had a bit of Jess Knappett (one of the best ever contestants IMO) about her - in a quiet, understated way, she seems to be completely bonkers. Definitely agree that Lee Mack having to play against his cocky persona is great fun, and Jamali Maddix seems like a good foil for Davies in the way he enjoys winding him up. Too early to tell much about Sarah Kendall having not seen her before, hopefully she gets a bit more screen time in the coming weeks. I felt like there is some chemistry there - the live task showed that - but it's difficult to really dive into it without an audience or the ability to properly interact with each other.

Agree with you on the Ritchie-Knappett comparison (also your assessment of the latter) so fingers crossed she delivers. I saw Kendall donkeys years ago doing a fringe standup (back when there were even fewer women on the circuit than there are now) and I remember enjoying it greatly.

WhoMe

Promising first episode, had a good laugh here and there. Excellent shot of Wozniak wobbling back towards the table on his hover board at roughly the speed of a tree root. Can't imagine this series will produce the pure chaos Johnny Vegas and Daisy May whipped up in the last series, but maybe it'll make up for that elsewhere.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on March 19, 2021, 02:42:15 PM
Re: the podcast. I love talking about Taskmaster. It's one of my comedy highlights of the last decade. But I find analysing everyone's performance and the scores as if it's an Olympic sport a bit tiresome. There are obviously plenty of people who care enough about that though - whereas I barely register who wins each episode. I just want to see funny people doing funny things.

I can understand that, because they do obviously discuss the scores for each task. But when I listen that part of the discussion barely registers for me and it's mostly the discussion of the approaches and any background details on the tasks that I find interesting. Which means I enjoy the episodes of the podcast featuring someone from the episode of the show being discussed much more interesting than those which don't.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Virgo76 on March 19, 2021, 06:44:02 AM
I enjoy the podcast too. Not sure why people are critical of it. If you don't like hearing people discuss Taskmaster in detail, why are you even on this thread anyway?

Same. I really like the podcast. Well, the episodes I've listened to anyway. Doc Brown absolutely hating his time on the show was a funny listen. And I like the behind the scenes details, especially of task attempts that the producers didn't allow.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on March 19, 2021, 04:34:33 PM
I can understand that, because they do obviously discuss the scores for each task. But when I listen that part of the discussion barely registers for me and it's mostly the discussion of the approaches and any background details on the tasks that I find interesting. Which means I enjoy the episodes of the podcast featuring someone from the episode of the show being discussed much more interesting than those which don't.

That's it really, if they're doing a podcast with someone who wasn't in the episode, it's pointless. You don't get any stories or behind the scenes details, you just get two people describing a task and then saying how they would score it.

greencalx

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 19, 2021, 04:55:07 PM
And I like the behind the scenes details, especially of task attempts that the producers didn't allow.

The mind boggles, given the things they have allowed. Is it really the case that the contestants don't know who the others are until they meet in the team tasks? I would have thought their agents would have something to say about that.

BeardFaceMan

I think they just mean they don't know who their teammate for the team task will be until they show up.

greencalx

That's what I'd assumed - but doesn't explain those cases where the contestant seems to have no idea who the other person is. It's only a choice of 4...

bigfatheart

Richard Herring said on the podcast that it wasn't that Daisy May Cooper didn't know who he was, just that she'd forgotten about the team tasks so was understandably surprised (and a bit alarmed) when somebody else walked in. Of course, that could be what he prefers to think, but it doesn't seem particularly unfeasible.

Joe Thomas and Sian Gibson... again, from the podcast, Ed Gamble suggested that that was just what Joe Thomas is like, awkward when meeting someone for the first time.

greencalx

I guess that makes sense. They presumably never quite know what they're going to be walking into, and of course some of the tasks involve random punters friends of Alex Horne.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: bigfatheart on March 19, 2021, 07:46:01 PM
Richard Herring said on the podcast that it wasn't that Daisy May Cooper didn't know who he was, just that she'd forgotten about the team tasks so was understandably surprised (and a bit alarmed) when somebody else walked in. Of course, that could be what he prefers to think, but it doesn't seem particularly unfeasible.

I don't doubt there's a bit of that, it's been clear from past series that they don't get told they're doing a team task until they see the other contestant, I'm just sure I heard Daisy May say somewhere that she'd never seen any of Herring's work.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: The Lurker on March 19, 2021, 01:34:02 PMPoor prize category too like usual but I still have high hopes for this series as Mack and Wozniak look like they'll be good entertainment.

Mack's prize task was bittersweet, seeing someone actually bother to do something for it again. Feels like it's been a long time. It's always had an element of artifice - I don't believe Romesh was going to give away his wedding ring - but the recent trend of it being Google Image Search meets Christmas Shopping At The All Night Garage is boring. I hope Mack keeps it up and gets 5 points every episode.

amateur

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 19, 2021, 05:36:05 PM
That's it really, if they're doing a podcast with someone who wasn't in the episode, it's pointless. You don't get any stories or behind the scenes details, you just get two people describing a task and then saying how they would score it.

It's an automatic no-listen for me if they haven't been on the show. I loved Tim Key and Alex's appearances have both been great for the behind the scenes chat.

That said, I found it impossible to listen to more than ten minutes of Joe Wilkinson's appearance, it felt like my mind was being slowly pulled out of my ears.

jobotic

I really enjoyed that, to my great surprise. I started a long time ago to find this programme really dull, Greg and Alex aside. Even when there are people I like on it's just so....nothing. And most of the people I don't like much.

Really helped though that Wozniak and Kendall seem like great sorts and Mack was far less obnoxious than I usually find him.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I greatly enjoyed this first episode. I watched it by myself at about midnight - a situation in which I might normally be quiet - and I was still giggling away uncontrollably.

I can understand the criticism of the plates task. Not much scope for lateral thinking, with the only funny outcomes being that they fall over and/or drop the plates. Even then, they still managed to wring laughs out of it. The wide shot of Wozniak sloooowly making his way back to the table was a perfect bit of visual comedy.

AsparagusTrevor

I enjoyed it also, was pleasantly surprised by Lee Mack and I only knew Wozniak from Man Down so it was nice to see he's basically a less angry version of that character in real life. Him playing the TM theme-tune on a balalaika was just lovely.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I always (for the six months that I've been watching the show) thought Mack would make a good contestant, mostly for his potential to argue with Davies.

Virgo76

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on March 22, 2021, 06:08:33 PM
I enjoyed it also, was pleasantly surprised by Lee Mack and I only knew Wozniak from Man Down so it was nice to see he's basically a less angry version of that character in real life. Him playing the TM theme-tune on a balalaika was just lovely.
Mike Wozniak's ‎St Elwick's Neighbourhood Association Newsletter Podcast is well worth a listen too.

Ja'moke

Okay that balloon task was great. Proper old school Taskmaster vibe.

So is this team task.

I was wrong last week, Taskmaster is still good.

greencalx

Studio vibe seems better too.

greencalx

Has Greg's head always rotated?

Norton Canes

selectivememory

Good episode. Wasn't sure last week what to make of Sarah and Jamali, but I enjoyed them both in this one, and the other three are all great. Good line-up of tasks, and they've settled into a more natural/less forced atmosphere in the studio. Looks like it could be a strong series.

I'm still a bit cautious as series 10 started this well before the quality plummeted, but simple tasks and a group of contestants who want to entertain have made for two great episodes. Mike Wozniak is a joy but they all bring a lot.

beanheadmcginty

Would've liked to have seen a photo of the egg handling. Can't begin to imagine how 17 eggs fit in a human hand.

Mr Trumpet

Wozniak aside I was a bit bored during the balloon task (amazed more of them didn't have the presence of mind to take it inside), but the other tasks were all first rate. Very good episode.

Virgo76

Impressed Mike Wozniak got that balloon back. Both that he tried and that he succeeded. Fairly quickly too.
Mind you, it had obviously landed in a tree or something. The other two really had no chance of retrieving their ones.
Loved Sarah Kendall's homage to The Shining too.

Gregory Torso

Really enjoyed last night's episode, more than the whole of the last series (although I liked the line-up in S10, the tasks were crap and the vibe was weird). Never heard of Mike Wozniak before but he looks like being one of the best contestants they've had on. Nice as well to see Lee Mack unable to step over everyone else's jokes with his crowbarred puns and quips, properly subdued and normal, almost likeable. Nah, he's alright really, Lee Mack. They all seem like good dudes.

Utter Shit

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 25, 2021, 11:51:20 PM
Would've liked to have seen a photo of the egg handling. Can't begin to imagine how 17 eggs fit in a human hand.

Yes this was my main take away as well. I do not accept that that is possible unless you're Andre the Giant.