Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:20:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No Deal Brexit Imminent [split topic] [start new threads]

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 07, 2020, 08:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on December 08, 2020, 10:57:08 AM

The no deal they aimed for back then is right on track, I must say they have been good a convincing a lot of people they would get one all this time or even wanted one.

Yes, they did convince a lot of people.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,56998.msg3261204.html#msg3261204

Zetetic

INEOS pulls out of Bridgend.

(Kind of glad not to be throwing public money at stuff like that without substantial ownership TBH, but still.)

olliebean

Quote from: WhoMe on December 08, 2020, 03:37:00 PM
Isn't it inherently ridiculous to make out that trading on similar terms to Australia is an acceptable outcome, as if geography and physical distance to your trading partners isn't a massive factor? 8 out of 10 of their biggest trading partners are in Asia or the Pacific region, so they don't particular care what tariffs they have to deal with from the EU. What is this reality Johnson is trying to make us believe we live in?

Australia doesn't have a trade deal with the EU, so an "Australian-style deal" is literally no deal. I suspect the reason Johnson is suddenly going on about it is so he can come back having got no deal and big himself up for succeeding in getting an "Australian-style" deal. The depressing thing is most people will probably fall for it.

evilcommiedictator

An "Australia-style deal" means making your entire economy reliant on selling coal and white collar goods to China, then spending 10 years sucking up to the US and watching China then tarriff the fuck out of your exports, and all you can do is cry to Rupert Murdoch

Petey Pate

Wouldn't be surprised if the outcome of tomorrow's meeting is yet another extension.

Menu

thugler

Quote from: Petey Pate on December 09, 2020, 12:50:16 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if the outcome of tomorrow's meeting is yet another extension.

That would be hilarious.

I suspect there'll be some sort of half deal, replicating the terms of an extension. It'll be presented as a glorious historic deal due to top negotiating from legend boz. Part of me wants it to be no deal and for it to absolutely fuck the country just to spite the cunts who have demanded it with no understanding of what it means.

lipsink

Quote from: thugler on December 09, 2020, 10:59:14 AM
That would be hilarious.

I suspect there'll be some sort of half deal, replicating the terms of an extension. It'll be presented as a glorious historic deal due to top negotiating from legend boz. Part of me wants it to be no deal and for it to absolutely fuck the country just to spite the cunts who have demanded it with no understanding of what it means.

They'll just end up blaming it on someone else though. It's never their fault. Guaranteed the ones losing their shit in shops when there's food shortages will be the cunts who voted Brexit and shouted "Project Fear" for the last 4 years.

thugler

Yeah they'll learn nothing. 'Stop talking brexit down!' while they choke down their gruel.

jobotic

Quote from: lipsink on December 09, 2020, 11:03:30 AM
They'll just end up blaming it on someone else though. It's never their fault. Guaranteed the ones losing their shit in shops when there's food shortages will be the cunts who voted Brexit and shouted "Project Fear" for the last 4 years.

And are marching round supermarkets maskless right now.

Presumably there will a deal and that's why Johnson's going to Brussels so he can come back the hero and conqueror of Europe. And it will be almost as shit for those of us who aren't very rich as no deal.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on December 09, 2020, 10:27:55 AM
Er right, well er, that's got me hasn't it......eh??

Just heading off a re-writing of history. I wouldn't have bothered if you hadn't been such an objectionable cunt about it at the time.

katzenjammer

Just a reminder

QuoteLiam Fox

The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.

The then international trade secretary made the declaration during a radio interview in 2017.

Boris Johnson

There is no plan for no deal, because we're going to get a great deal.

Said during his time as foreign secretary. Johnson assured Britons there was no need to plan for a no-deal scenario. His statement was quickly slapped down by Theresa May's Downing Street, who insisted that "contingency planning is taking place for a range of scenarios".

Michael Gove

The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want.

A month before the EU referendum, Gove, now the chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster, insisted the UK would "hold all the cards" if it voted to leave the EU.

Etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/09/quick-and-easy-what-leavers-said-about-uk-eu-brexit-trade-deal

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 09, 2020, 11:36:38 AM
Just heading off a re-writing of history. I wouldn't have bothered if you hadn't been such an objectionable cunt about it at the time.

right, er, good.......................................... if it weren't for you keeping an eye on me here who else would,OK..................................................keep up the good work.

frajer

Quote from: katzenjammer on December 09, 2020, 12:45:16 PM
Just a reminder

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/09/quick-and-easy-what-leavers-said-about-uk-eu-brexit-trade-deal

Sickening bunch of moral vacuums playing 1D Chess.

Still, not as if this will have negative repercussions for decades to come, so why not play fast and loose? Bully Bully Bully, oy oy oy!

lipsink

"Time is running out" Starmer firmly said at PMQs - a man who spent the last month focussing on asking another man to apologise for a Facebook post.

The EU wants to be able to 'retaliate' (presumably this is the Tories' inflammatory phrase) if the UK departs from the EU's standards, thereby creating a rival on their doorstep with a competitive advantage who can undercut them. I mean, the UK would probably be entitled to tell them to fuck off if it wasn't for the fact that we walked out on them, and want access to all their markets with minimal restrictions.

Still, nice dog whistle to get the Brexiteers going.

BORRIS, SEND ARe BRITTiSH SPiTFIRES TO FLY OVeR BRUSELS ToNitE.

Famous Mortimer

I'm glad so many people want to remain in the EU, an organisation which does so much to stop human rights abuses by Turkey and Poland (read: nothing) and seems entirely indiffererent to the rapid spread of fascism among its member states.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 09, 2020, 06:36:19 PM
I'm glad so many people want to remain in the EU, an organisation which does so much to stop human rights abuses by Turkey and Poland (read: nothing) and seems entirely indiffererent to the rapid spread of fascism among its member states.

We're leaving because because indifference isn't a malevolent enough position for us.

Cuellar

Once we leave, Britain can FINALLY be one of those countries about whose human rights abuses the EU does nothing

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on December 09, 2020, 07:09:42 PM
Once we leave, Britain can FINALLY be one of those countries about whose human rights abuses the EU does nothing

:)))

Cuellar

Hungary is a sovereign nation and can decide its own policies.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 09, 2020, 06:36:19 PM

So the answer is what, exactly? Leave the EU and continue to do nothing about it, while the EU also continues to do nothing about it.  I'm not really seeing how that addresses the issue.

What I can see is life outside the EU involving lower food standards, disaster capitalism, a bonfire of employment rights, removal of various rules that inhibit and mitigate our wonderful government's ability to allow their chums both here and in the US to 'invest' in the NHS, and also to snap up contracts without any supranational forum for their decisions to be challenged, an attack on the devolved governments ostensibly to maintain an internal common market, and so on...and on...

The phrase the 'lesser of two evils' springs to mind.

JamesTC

In my work everybody refused to clean the toilets so I shat my pants.

Zetetic

I wonder if there's any other ways to link the EU's weakness in the face of repeated Article 2 violations with the flounce of a major member state.

Zetetic

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on December 09, 2020, 07:38:48 PM
So the answer is what, exactly? Leave the EU and continue to do nothing about it, while the EU also continues to do nothing about it.  I'm not really seeing how that addresses the issue.
Weirdly, if you squint hard enough, the argument makes sense if you think that the UK's position in opposing ever closer union etc. is the overriding reason for the EU's weakness in the face of repeated treaty violations. In that case, Brexit will finally allow the EU to transform into the powerful technocratic superstate that the UK so feared.

(This will not happen.)

jobotic

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on December 09, 2020, 07:38:48 PM

What I can see is life outside the EU involving lower food standards, disaster capitalism, a bonfire of employment rights, removal of various rules that inhibit and mitigate our wonderful government's ability to allow their chums both here and in the US to 'invest' in the NHS, and also to snap up contracts without any supranational forum for their decisions to be challenged, an attack on the devolved governments ostensibly to maintain an internal common market, and so on...and on...

The phrase the 'lesser of two evils' springs to mind.

Be nice tohear a Lexiter respond to this, but I expect we'll just get the same trite "point" that we've heard for the last four years.

olliebean

Quote from: jobotic on December 09, 2020, 11:09:58 AM
And are marching round supermarkets maskless right now.

Presumably there will a deal and that's why Johnson's going to Brussels so he can come back the hero and conqueror of Europe. And it will be almost as shit for those of us who aren't very rich as no deal.

I suspect he's off to Brussels just so he can pretend he's negotiated something at the last minute, and come back as the conquering hero. As I said, he'll have nothing, but will sell it to the public as an Australian terms deal.