Author Topic: Covid 2.0  (Read 13888 times)

Norton Canes

• In today's room, with today's view
Re: Covid 2.0
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »
Seconded. Blods mate, unless you're prepared to fill us in the last thing I need at the moment is 'I know something awful about this you don't know but I can't say' patter

Thirded. Not good for stress levels.

Chedney Honks

• Mood Rating (out of three): 👍👍
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2020, 11:04:48 AM »
My brother works for track and trace now so I probley have better inform than Blod on this.

Long story short, January is expected to be 'pandemonium' and there's expected to be a lockdown from the 6th for three weeks.

Consignia

• Deviant
  • Silver Member
  • 저는 사과예요
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2020, 11:06:54 AM »
Everyone's bound by the official secrets act, whether you sign it or not. You usually asked to sign it when doing government stuff so you understand you handling sensitive information and there's laws about it. I think it's what they got Glen Greenwald's partner got stopped for as he was transporting leaked UK classified material.

Uncle TechTip

• You won, get over it
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2020, 02:13:31 PM »
Ok Beagle 2, better NOT post that PM. Leave us clues in an acrostic in another thread instead.

Consignia

• Deviant
  • Silver Member
  • 저는 사과예요
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2020, 03:25:36 PM »
Maybe work out a series of winks.

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2020, 03:39:29 PM »
Apparently it's not new. It's been around for ages, just hasn't been detected in the UK before, and Hancock is, shockingly, a fuckwit.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2020, 04:47:08 PM »

Quite. I hate to pile on, but it is pretty cunty behaviour and has led to me feeling horribly anxious all day.

buttgammon

• Leave him Tony, he's not worth it
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2020, 05:30:32 PM »
We're not talking about the strain that was detected in mink, are we?

Zetetic

• I wasn't supposed to be around this long, so…
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2020, 05:35:17 PM »
The suggestion is that it's not the same strain, but that a particular mutation has been found in both this strain ("KentVid") and the other strain ("MinkVid") that probably arose[1] independently.
 1. and possibly conferred transmissibility benefits, possibly particularly amongst those already exposed to other strains, and so been selected for

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2020, 05:37:31 PM »
My brother works for track and trace now so I probley have better inform than Blod on this.

Long story short, January is expected to be 'pandemonium' and there's expected to be a lockdown from the 6th for three weeks.

with schools and shops still open. January sales. come on.

Zetetic

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2020, 05:41:46 PM »
It's very slightly interesting that PHE spokespeople have used the word "evolve" instead of "mutate" when describing the strain, but I probably shouldn't read much into that.

buttgammon

• Leave him Tony, he's not worth it
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2020, 07:53:40 PM »
The suggestion is that it's not the same strain, but that a particular mutation has been found in both this strain ("KentVid") and the other strain ("MinkVid") that probably arose[1] independently.
 1. and possibly conferred transmissibility benefits, possibly particularly amongst those already exposed to other strains, and so been selected for

Interesting...thanks!

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2020, 08:29:16 PM »

OK, let's just say...I felt like a mule kicked me in the stomach. But, sorry, it'll have to wait. We're working on it and I anticipate others may publicise before we do (it may even be nothing, there's always that).

Cuellar

• I'm over here
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2020, 08:31:45 PM »
That's helped, cheers

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2020, 08:36:23 PM »
Got through most of this in one of the least affected areas. Now been the highest for ages, still going up and it's a new variant!

Fucking bollocks.

Chedney Honks

• Mood Rating (out of three): 👍👍
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2020, 08:37:41 PM »

BlodwynPig

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2020, 08:40:36 PM »

Its a synonymous mutation. I believe the ratio of non-synonymous to synonymous mutations indicates whether this mutation was due to selective pressure (e.g. treatment) or neutral evolution (chance). Tipping towards chance.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2020, 08:42:03 PM »
Sorry, the earlier spike mutations were synonymous, I'm not sure this one was.

Zetetic

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2020, 08:47:01 PM »
Ah, was just about to ask if the claim that H69/V70 deletion was synonymous had been published. (Given there seems a lot of noise about it's possible relevance to antibodies - which I assume would require there to be actual changes in the resulting Spike, if accurate.)

BlodwynPig

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2020, 08:51:10 PM »
Quite. I hate to pile on, but it is pretty cunty behaviour and has led to me feeling horribly anxious all day.

I DIDN'T FUCKING POST IT TO MAKE YOU FEEL ANXIETY, CHRIST

****It was to make you aware that there are some things that are fucking brutal (potentially, first comms) - but as things emerge that brutality will be lessened. I wanted to tell all, but I am fucking bound. I made a mistake, sorry.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2020, 08:54:14 PM »
Ah, was just about to ask if the claim that H69/V70 deletion was synonymous had been published. (Given there seems a lot of noise about it's possible relevance to antibodies - which I assume would require there to be actual changes in the resulting Spike, if accurate.)

By Friday, maybe know more and more importantly, how widespread it is.

Bernice

• a turkey is a bad person
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2020, 09:00:41 PM »
It's probably fine.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2020, 09:01:44 PM »
It's probably fine.

It's certainly not the worst thing that can happen.

Zetetic

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2020, 09:02:09 PM »
80% of Porton Down's torture collection now brimming with SuperKentVid, I heard.

One final bid for Brexit on our own terms.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2020, 09:03:29 PM »
80% of Porton Down's torture collection now brimming with SuperKentVid, I heard.

One final bid for Brexit on our own terms.

Let's just say 'we' were extremely lucky to be in the right place at the right time when this was announced.

Cuellar

• I'm over here
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2020, 09:04:50 PM »
Genuinely can't wait for covid 2.0 to kill us all

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2020, 10:43:05 PM »

Which is exactly what we were told would happen when the 5-day Christmas death cult idea was first proposed, isn't it?

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2020, 10:46:27 PM »
Outbreak 2: The Virus takes Manhattan

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2020, 11:57:33 PM »
I haven't been this excited since the "it" buildup to the Segway reveal. I expect this will also be a disappointment.

Tags: