Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Covid 2.0

Started by Chedney Honks, December 14, 2020, 04:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Quote from: non capisco on December 14, 2020, 10:55:01 PM
Seconded. Blods mate, unless you're prepared to fill us in the last thing I need at the moment is 'I know something awful about this you don't know but I can't say' patter

Thirded. Not good for stress levels.

Chedney Honks

My brother works for track and trace now so I probley have better inform than Blod on this.

Long story short, January is expected to be 'pandemonium' and there's expected to be a lockdown from the 6th for three weeks.

Consignia

Everyone's bound by the official secrets act, whether you sign it or not. You usually asked to sign it when doing government stuff so you understand you handling sensitive information and there's laws about it. I think it's what they got Glen Greenwald's partner got stopped for as he was transporting leaked UK classified material.

Uncle TechTip

Ok Beagle 2, better NOT post that PM. Leave us clues in an acrostic in another thread instead.

Consignia

Maybe work out a series of winks.

stonkers

Apparently it's not new. It's been around for ages, just hasn't been detected in the UK before, and Hancock is, shockingly, a fuckwit.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 15, 2020, 10:45:55 AM

Quite. I hate to pile on, but it is pretty cunty behaviour and has led to me feeling horribly anxious all day.

buttgammon

We're not talking about the strain that was detected in mink, are we?

Zetetic

The suggestion is that it's not the same strain, but that a particular mutation has been found in both this strain ("KentVid") and the other strain ("MinkVid") that probably arose[nb]and possibly conferred transmissibility benefits, possibly particularly amongst those already exposed to other strains, and so been selected for[/nb] independently.

jobotic

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 15, 2020, 11:04:48 AM
My brother works for track and trace now so I probley have better inform than Blod on this.

Long story short, January is expected to be 'pandemonium' and there's expected to be a lockdown from the 6th for three weeks.

with schools and shops still open. January sales. come on.

Zetetic

It's very slightly interesting that PHE spokespeople have used the word "evolve" instead of "mutate" when describing the strain, but I probably shouldn't read much into that.

buttgammon

Quote from: Zetetic on December 15, 2020, 05:35:17 PM
The suggestion is that it's not the same strain, but that a particular mutation has been found in both this strain ("KentVid") and the other strain ("MinkVid") that probably arose[nb]and possibly conferred transmissibility benefits, possibly particularly amongst those already exposed to other strains, and so been selected for[/nb] independently.

Interesting...thanks!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 15, 2020, 10:45:55 AM

OK, let's just say...I felt like a mule kicked me in the stomach. But, sorry, it'll have to wait. We're working on it and I anticipate others may publicise before we do (it may even be nothing, there's always that).

Cuellar

That's helped, cheers

jobotic

Got through most of this in one of the least affected areas. Now been the highest for ages, still going up and it's a new variant!

Fucking bollocks.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on December 15, 2020, 05:35:17 PM

Its a synonymous mutation. I believe the ratio of non-synonymous to synonymous mutations indicates whether this mutation was due to selective pressure (e.g. treatment) or neutral evolution (chance). Tipping towards chance.

BlodwynPig

Sorry, the earlier spike mutations were synonymous, I'm not sure this one was.

Zetetic

Ah, was just about to ask if the claim that H69/V70 deletion was synonymous had been published. (Given there seems a lot of noise about it's possible relevance to antibodies - which I assume would require there to be actual changes in the resulting Spike, if accurate.)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 15, 2020, 04:47:08 PM
Quite. I hate to pile on, but it is pretty cunty behaviour and has led to me feeling horribly anxious all day.

I DIDN'T FUCKING POST IT TO MAKE YOU FEEL ANXIETY, CHRIST

****It was to make you aware that there are some things that are fucking brutal (potentially, first comms) - but as things emerge that brutality will be lessened. I wanted to tell all, but I am fucking bound. I made a mistake, sorry.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on December 15, 2020, 08:47:01 PM
Ah, was just about to ask if the claim that H69/V70 deletion was synonymous had been published. (Given there seems a lot of noise about it's possible relevance to antibodies - which I assume would require there to be actual changes in the resulting Spike, if accurate.)

By Friday, maybe know more and more importantly, how widespread it is.

Bernice

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Bernice on December 15, 2020, 09:00:41 PM
It's probably fine.

It's certainly not the worst thing that can happen.

Zetetic

80% of Porton Down's torture collection now brimming with SuperKentVid, I heard.

One final bid for Brexit on our own terms.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on December 15, 2020, 09:02:09 PM
80% of Porton Down's torture collection now brimming with SuperKentVid, I heard.

One final bid for Brexit on our own terms.

Let's just say 'we' were extremely lucky to be in the right place at the right time when this was announced.

Cuellar

Genuinely can't wait for covid 2.0 to kill us all

olliebean

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 15, 2020, 11:04:48 AM

Which is exactly what we were told would happen when the 5-day Christmas death cult idea was first proposed, isn't it?

Outbreak 2: The Virus takes Manhattan

Dex Sawash

I haven't been this excited since the "it" buildup to the Segway reveal. I expect this will also be a disappointment.