Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:43:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

People Who Outbid You On Ebay In The Last Thirty Seconds

Started by TJ, February 27, 2004, 02:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rats

That would be the first thing you'd mention isn't it? It's funny the way some peoples minds work.

Frinky

TraceyQ

TJ, I feel you pain. I've just been outbid in the last 20 seconds for a replica Hermes Birkin bag. Bastard. Now, you could argue that this is a good thing, as I have too many handbags. I could tell you to Get Fucked.

TJ

Never heard of trying to keep something a surprise? It's how websites work quite often. Not just because it's nice to give the punters something unexpected to enjoy every now and then, but also because if avoids the same old tedium of people starting threads/emailing us constantly asking "well wehre is it then imho imho wawnk wank wank i thought this was the cress morris website not the garry busshell bomb walsall website imho imho i am eating my own head" etc.

Rats

Someone might have what you're looking for though.

TJ

Quote from: "TraceyQ"bomb walsall?

Well, they always say nonsense like that. Y'know, stuff about having had to sell their dog because Neil hasn't put Moral Decline up for download as an uncompressed AVI file etc.

TraceyQ

That's nothing. Last time he didnt do that I had to sell my kids into slavery for just the price of AY HaTT!!!!111$$£^

TJ

Quote from: "Rats"Someone might have what you're looking for though.

We've appealed on here enough times.

Rats

OK. Don't worry about it though, I'm sure everyone's gratefull for all the shit we get. It'll turn up one day.

danielreal2k

d' you sell those Bowler hats on ebay after then Rats?  ;-)

A Passing Turk Slipper

Could you not try and get in touch with the buyer or seller, TJ, and try and buy a copy of it from them?

Darrell

Last-minute bidders are vermin.

It's naive and patronising to say "oh, it'll come up again", because some things genuinely appear once and never again. There was some bastard who outbid me in the last minute for the Spitting Image 'Santa Claus Is On The Dole' 12" (which is obscenely rare) - if I hadn't been at the computer and had my wits about me I would have lost that. A shame, seeing as the intention was to buy it, encode it, and share it with everyone (which I did). I know to a reasonable extent how TJ feels - I've been trying my best to collect all the Spitting Image singles in order to get a complete collection circulating. This has been costing me a fortune (I must have spent £50-60 on them), and if I'd posted about it and people had replied like they have to TJ I'd be utterly livid (in addition to the Hulk-like anger already caused by the outbiddiness).

Frinky

Quote from: "Darrell"I'd be utterly livid.

That'd make a change, then.

Peking O

Quote from: "Darrell"Last-minute bidders are vermin.

There was some bastard who outbid me in the last minute for the Spitting Image 'Santa Claus Is On The Dole' 12" (which is obscenely rare) - if I hadn't been at the computer and had my wits about me I would have lost that.

So, in other words, you placed a last minute bid on it.

Timmay

Quote from: "Peking O"So, in other words, you placed a last minute bid on it.
What scum.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Peking O"

There was some bastard who outbid me in the last minute for the Spitting Image 'Santa Claus Is On The Dole' 12" (which is obscenely rare) - if I hadn't been at the computer and had my wits about me I would have lost that.

Heh, there's probably some guy from a Spitting Image fansite going "I nearly had the 'Santa Claus Is On The Dole 12"' to share with you all but some bastard came along and outbid me at the last minute!!!1"

Krang

is it safe to buy a PC over ebay?

the bidder seems to have a little history of various bits and bob's...

he has picture of the pc, but im worried ill just get an empty box with smashed up hardware...

anyone got any experience, tips etc. im totally new to ebay.

Frinky

No, not really. Well, it maybe, but it's probably not worth the risk.

There are hundreds of well-established PC sellers on eBay - my mate, right, Carl his name is, he got one, and he loves it. No point taking the risk - eBay is ace but go with the big sellers on things like this.

El Unicornio, mang

I've bought several PC's off ebay, with no probs. Usually they're sold by proper computer retailers, not individuals. If dealing with an individual, though,  always check their feedback rating.

Darrell

Quote from: "Peking O"

No, I'd been the winning bidder for days, and he outbid me in the last minute. Luckily I was there and quick enough to win it back from the sneaky bastard.

El Unicornio, mang

I guess it's a bit sneaky to wait until the last minute, but then again how could they know what your highest bid is? Say you put your maximum bid as a tenner, and the bidding is at 8 quid with a minute to go, and they bid up to 9, they're not going to win.
At the end of the day, if I was browsing on ebay and saw something really rare that I wanted, and there was only a minute to go, I'd probably consider having a bid too.

Rats

I bet it was something crappy like Kenny Everetts bum bag or something. TJ was going to post an update telling us all what it smelled like.

Darrell

It could have been something amazing like No Known Cure or the Feedback Report TV series for all you know...

Rats

Yep, just take it as given that I'm continually arsing about, I'll be sure to tell you all when I'm being serious. I was being serious there.

Neil

Quote from: "Rats"I bet it was something crappy like Kenny Everetts bum bag or something. TJ was going to post an update telling us all what it smelled like.

I just bought a hard-back copy of Kenny Everett's auto-biog, surely that's worth sneering at Rats.

Peking O

Quote from: "Neil"I just bought a hard-back copy of Kenny Everett's auto-biog, surely that's worth sneering at Rats.

Ahh I wondered who that last minute bidder was.....

Neil

Is it a last-minute bid if noone else has made a bid on the object?  I only found it 45 mins before the auction ended and bid on it straight away.  

I just won it, hooray!  

TJ

Nice one Neil - that's some good reading, especially the chapters on The Beatles.

Timmay

That would have been amusing, if Neil and TJ were both secretly chuckling at how shocked the other was going to be when they revealed to each other what they had found on eBay. Only to find they were actually competing against each other on the same item all along. Annoying for them, still amusing though. :)

Don't suppose it's ever happened though has it? Or do you concur over these things?