Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:51:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can't stand 'em

Started by kalowski, December 15, 2020, 10:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: kalowski on December 17, 2020, 06:43:23 PM
It's the flying dream which is accompanied by The Man in Me.

It is also over the title credits with the slo-mo bowling after the rug theft

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 17, 2020, 05:37:06 PM
wherever the venn diagram overlaps is what I don't like. I think it might be 'I don't know when to nod my head'. Except for I like tech

M'only teasing mate, I get what you're saying right enough. Have you listened to much Akercocke? This is my favourite band and I am happy to provide recommendations based on specific tastes.

My contribution to this thread is only to say that many of the bands I never thought I'd have any time for are probably unfairly represented by common shared opinion and the singles that make up Magic and Heart FM playlists. I listened to the first four or five U2 albums this year and they were ace, but I HATE U2 as they've existed since about 2000 or so. I also thought for the longest time I hated Queen but in album form, they're ace. Can't remember if my avatar is from before or after I learned to love John Deacon.

And opinions are opinions and all, grand, surely, but away to fuck with that comment about Pantera. A) it's bollocks and B) the idea of 'overrated' has been indulged for too long. Saying that not enough people like something makes sense, but that TOO MANY people like a thing? Nonsense.

Icehaven

Quote from: easytarget on December 18, 2020, 06:47:57 AM
I saw a lot of complaints about Ghost on the internet, but they seemed to be focused on "they look like they're going to be all Transylvanian Hunger but they sound like disco Type O Negative".
I like them. They sound like disco Type O Negative.

Exactly. If I'd never heard any Ghost and that's how someone described them to me I'd be falling over myself to hear them. And since when did black metal get the monopoly on that kind of look (masks, satanic/quasi religious imagery etc.) anyway? Never as far as I'm aware, loads of lighter metal bands have done it for decades.

thugler

Quote from: earl_sleek on December 16, 2020, 12:28:05 AM
Honourable mentions (that 6 Music FUCKING LOVE):

Kae Tempest

Cannot hear their music or at least the vocals without feeling total cringe overload. I don't even know what it is, just feels off to me. Nevermind the poetry, that's even worse.

Fr.Bigley

agree on the tempest thing. Cringe personified. A guardian loved champion of middle class guilt. whatever their pronouns are they are pseuds in the most awkward way. Love the stupid south London accent despite actually being quite posh...bangs on about authenticity and has the audacity to appropriate an accent. Cunt.

Pink Gregory

That's a shame, I got a Kate Tempest album for my Radio-1 loving sister and she liked it.  Not that I'm one to care much for 'authenticity', but it's a shame to hear that it's a facade, even if it's relevant.

Wonder if I could get her to listen to Gazelle Twin.

Norton Canes

• The George Martin Singers
  • AC/DC - Mainly for the vocals, sorry
  • Bob Dylan - Loved that he said to Jagger (or was it Keef?) "I could have written Satisfaction, but you couldn't have written Desolation Row". Yeah Bob, but you try and perform Satisfaction with one iota of the charm, power, energy and sheer style of Jagger. I don't think so
  • Primal Scream - Have a band ever piggybacked so much on the ability of their producers? (OK, see entry 1 above). The gulf between what they come up with when whoever's producing basically owns the track, and what they come up with when left to their own devices, is absurd
  • Stereolab
  • The Spice Girls - Bit of a late entry this one, but watched them do Two Become One on TOTP2 the other night and realised just how anodyne all their stuff was, which is obviously true of a lot of bands (see entry 1 above) but they didn't make themselves out to be such a bunch of rebels. OK, soft target

kalowski

Bob Dylan does not deserve to be in this thread. You're all going on that list the German guys makes in Dad's Army.

JaDanketies

I too like Bob Dylan.  I don't mean to say anything too controversial but I think he's decent.

crankshaft

Bob Dylan is the worst, sorry everyone. His career is like a 60 year long confidence trick. He's an artistic minnow compared to the likes of Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell.

kngen

Queen, obviously. Glad to see all the hate.

Groove metal like Pantera, Lamb of God and their many imitators. Just do not see the attraction. It's bar-room boogie for methheads.

Whatever passes for Metalcore these days, but particularly the stuff that apes the vocal style of Mike Olender of Endeavor/Burnt By the Sun. They probably don't even realise that's who they're sounding like, given those bands are little more than a footnote in the history of the genre. But it has an unfortunate side effect of me liking the antecedents less through constant exposure to the watered-down efforts of the modern era. (see also: Shai Hulud - and Moss Icon in terms of emo/screamo), so yeah - good work there, chaps, ruining bands that existed before you were born. 

lebowskibukowski

Travis, Killers, Chili Peppers and fucking Drake.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on December 18, 2020, 04:56:30 PM
Drake.

I have honestly never heard one of his tracks. not even in passing.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: crankshaft on December 18, 2020, 02:28:02 PM
Bob Dylan is the worst, sorry everyone.

No need to apologise, I think we'll survive.

How many times have we done this thread?

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on December 16, 2020, 01:02:02 PM
Driving Home For Christmas was used in Iceland's Christmas ads for a few years.

Great, thanks for the reply! I don't remember the advert at all, but it must've slipped into my consciousness at some point.

Custard

The amount of Dylan hate I didn't expect. Though I do kinda get why he's not for everyone. He's a very devisive musician and man

Personally, I think he's done enough great stuff to be, well, great

Anyone who thinks he's too po-faced or takes himself way too seriously, try out the Traveling Wilburys records. He even sounds like he's enjoying himself!

Phil_A

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 18, 2020, 01:41:32 PM

• The George Martin Singers
  • AC/DC - Mainly for the vocals, sorry
  • Bob Dylan - Loved that he said to Jagger (or was it Keef?) "I could have written Satisfaction, but you couldn't have written Desolation Row". Yeah Bob, but you try and perform Satisfaction with one iota of the charm, power, energy and sheer style of Jagger. I don't think so
  • Primal Scream - Have a band ever piggybacked so much on the ability of their producers? (OK, see entry 1 above). The gulf between what they come up with when whoever's producing basically owns the track, and what they come up with when left to their own devices, is absurd
  • Stereolab
  • The Spice Girls - Bit of a late entry this one, but watched them do Two Become One on TOTP2 the other night and realised just how anodyne all their stuff was, which is obviously true of a lot of bands (see entry 1 above) but they didn't make themselves out to be such a bunch of rebels. OK, soft target

Fuck off with that shit opinion right now.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 18, 2020, 05:27:58 PM
The amount of Dylan hate I didn't expect. Though I do kinda get why he's not for everyone. He's a very devisive musician and man

Personally, I think he's done enough great stuff to be, well, great

Anyone who thinks he's too po-faced or takes himself way too seriously, try out the Traveling Wilburys records. He even sounds like he's enjoying himself!
In terms of his songwriting, at least in his peak era, I get it. Thing is, I only like those songs when someone else (ie Hendrix, the Byrds, Stevie Wonder, the Turtles) is performing them. Dylan's voice, and harmonica playing, go right through me.

McChesney Duntz

I'm with Phil_A on that. But this thread is worthless anyway.

Custard

Yeah, I get that his voice isn't for everyone. Tom Waits gets that reaction from me

*Runs*

the midnight watch baboon

The Eagles
Sheeran
Pavement mainly just for the vocals which make we wanna dissolve the dreadful cunt in alkali
Blue Oyster Cult
Blue
Abba a bit
Peter Sellars - his vocals make me carsick, even if I'm in the pool on my dirigible
de Burgh

Jollity

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on December 18, 2020, 04:56:30 PM
Drake.

I was going to mention Drake. I'm not really one to get angry about music, but I have absolutely no clue what people are hearing in there that I can't hear. He had a song at number one in the UK for fifteen continuous weeks a few years back. I'm not sure most songs are "fifteen weeks at number one" good, but certainly not that one.

sutin

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on December 18, 2020, 04:57:12 PM
I have honestly never heard one of his tracks. not even in passing.

Me neither. I've only heard of him because some old indie-gammon complained about one of his songs being played at a disco at the Indietracks festival.

sutin

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on December 18, 2020, 05:38:17 PM
Pavement mainly just for the vocals which make we wanna dissolve the dreadful cunt in alkali

It's just a smug-sounding ballroot saying stuff over utterly forgettable music. I don't know why more people don't hate them, they fucking suck. Except Shady Lane, because there's no Sarcastic American Man vocals, and an actual melody.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: sutin on December 18, 2020, 06:36:01 PM
Except Shady Lane, because there's no Sarcastic American Man vocals, and an actual melody.

And Gold Soundz (I forgive the z because....because it's a good song).

I have a real problem with Bjork, I don't get her at all.

I think it was the Futureheads who did an awful cover of Hounds of Love which everyone I knew at the time seemed to adore, but it's dreadful.

sutin

Quote from: Lungpuddle on December 18, 2020, 07:31:41 PM
And Gold Soundz (I forgive the z because....because it's a good song).

I've listened to that song multiple times, and I couldn't tell you a thing about it. They're so damn listless.

buttgammon

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 18, 2020, 05:35:33 PM
Yeah, I get that his voice isn't for everyone. Tom Waits gets that reaction from me

*Runs*

I never know whether to put him in the 'I don't get it' or the 'genuinely awful' category but I find him unlistenable.

It's a similar thing with most recent hip hop, where I'm not sure how much of it is the music being atrocious or me simply not getting it. I'm so obsessed with that classic East Coast sound from the early to mid 90s that it sometimes feels like the whole genre has left me behind.

pigamus