Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:28:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can't stand 'em

Started by kalowski, December 15, 2020, 10:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

The Labyrinth OST is proof enough of Bowie's versatility.

I wish the goblin king would take the last page away... right now.

Custard

I've genuinely never seen Bowie being described as boring

Which in a way makes CaB never boring

Ahhhhhhh

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: sutin on December 16, 2020, 12:34:31 PM
Yes!! I didn't put him on my list because I don't hate him, but he is very boring musically.

Not funk metal enough?

sutin

Quote from: Thomas on December 16, 2020, 04:18:19 PM
After seeing Kate Bush mentioned, I told myself that I wouldn't question anybody's opinion in this thread - it is about our personal can't-stand-em feelings after all.

But to describe the music evolving across albums like Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, and Station to Station, culminating with the zippy-zaps of Berlin, as boring? I am intrigued. Bad, annoying, not-for-me I'd fathom, but boring?

But then I suppose there are many musicians I consider boring, and I'm not about to spend time deep-diving their back catalogues to find the interesting bits.

I listened to a lot of Bowie from the '70s when I decided to give him a go about 7-8 years ago, and it struck me how utterly generic his music was. He was a genius at marketing himself, but the records are derivative and lacking in almost everything I find exciting in music.

Hold up Bowie's albums to Sparks mid-70s Island run and No. 1 In Heaven and you'll see how dull they are, maybe.

Thomas

Quote from: sutin on December 16, 2020, 05:01:15 PM
Hold up Bowie's albums to Sparks mid-70s Island run and No. 1 In Heaven and you'll see how dull they are, maybe.

I like 'em both. I just can't comprehend finding tracks like 'Sweet Thing/Candidate', 'Right', or 'Station to Station' dull, all vastly different sounds and paces, and all ploughed through within months of each other. Or tracks like 'Blackstar', 'Lazarus', and 'Dollar Days', mysterious jazzy concoctions on the eve of his death. Derivative, in some cases, I can see - 'Life on Mars', for example, is an unabashed tracing of 'My Way'. But dull? I'll never get it.

But then horses fuck ourses I suppose.

Gulftastic

Billy Joel with his massively conservative soft rock shite and a list set to music that people somehow think is 'deep'.
Jacko, from Thriller onwards. The hype sank the talent.

JaDanketies

Now Music just played the video for this Bowie song Fashion I didn't know and it seems pretty forward-thinking for its time, with industrial noise elements back in 1980.

Oasis- Fuck off with your plodding, charmless, sub-Beatles dirges and your energy free "let's all stand rock still behind this swaggering shaved orangutan with a Welller cut and a parka" gigs you bunch of utter bell-whiffs.

Robbie Williams. Never stopped hearing this smirking simian cunt in the late 90s/early 2000s. I hated Angels as soon as I heard it and that hatred still burns strong. The rest of his output merely sparks strong dislike in me so there's a silver lining.

chveik

Custard

Just thought of another

Mumford and Sons. Something edgy for the IKEA crowd. Get in't bin and set aflame

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 16, 2020, 05:35:56 PM
Now Music just played the video for this Bowie song Fashion I didn't know and it seems pretty forward-thinking for its time, with industrial noise elements back in 1980.

It's just Robert Fripp doing the thing he was hired to do. Over a disco beat

sutin

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 16, 2020, 05:35:56 PM

What's so forward thinking about it? 20 Jazz Funk Greats came out the previous year, and you had the likes of DEVO, The Residents and many more using industrial noise elements much earlier than 1980. Bowie invented nothing, he was a follower. There's nothing wrong with that of course, if the music is actually interesting (his isn't IMO).

Twonty Gostelow

Jimmy Vespa posted anything yet?

Aleister Growley

Simple Minds

(Joey) Deacon Blue

U2

Queen

Elton John

Bob Marley and his nursery rhyme rubbish.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: sutin on December 16, 2020, 07:25:36 PM
What's so forward thinking about it? 20 Jazz Funk Greats came out the previous year, and you had the likes of DEVO, The Residents and many more using industrial noise elements much earlier than 1980. Bowie invented nothing, he was a follower. There's nothing wrong with that of course, if the music is actually interesting (his isn't IMO).

This is a real bugbear of mine. Accessibility is a much-underrated attribute. Bowie had that in spades compared to the artists you mention here. (artists I love BTW not so much TG. I admire them though) Why is that factor always seen as 'beige' or 'watered down'?

'Oh no, it has wider appeal and a memorable melody ergo it must be inferior'.

But if you think Bowie is very boring then fair enough.

sutin

I agree with your initial point re: accessibility, after all I did say in my post that there's nothing wrong with being a follower. That's an entirely different topic from the initial debate of whether Bowie was forward-thinking or not.

kalowski

Quote from: the ouch cube on December 16, 2020, 11:59:46 AM
The Stone Roses and any of the professional northern monkey man football wanker brigade. I'd call it the UK equivalent to hair metal except that's not entirely fair on hair metal. "Oh but they're working class".
I'm not so sure former Altrincham Grammar School students Ian Brown and John Squire are as working class as they claim.

kalowski

Anyway, now Bowie and Elvis are being mentioned this thread can get to fuck. Bollocks to the tosser who started it all.

Sin Agog

Paul McCartney.  There's something about his power poppy way of concocting a melody that rarely congeals from a collection of notes into an actual tune to me.  It's all so much yacht rock to me.  Yeah, I do like Temporary Secretary of course.

Psmith

Too many to list.Mostly American stadium rock type stuff,boring crap.

Some posters think Dylan is talentless though,so what do I know ???

Phil_A

I hate the fuckin' Libertines, man. I hate the fact their bargain basement Steve Lamacq indie shite is feted as the soundtrack of a generation. I loathe the whole middle class lad slumming it as bohemian druggie poet shtick, and I hate the fact that loathsome grubby-fingernailed little scrote Doherty literally got away with murder.

sutin

Quote from: Phil_A on December 16, 2020, 10:42:02 PM
I hate the fuckin' Libertines, man. I hate the fact their bargain basement Steve Lamacq indie shite is feted as the soundtrack of a generation. I loathe the whole middle class lad slumming it as bohemian druggie poet shtick, and I hate the fact that loathsome grubby-fingernailed little scrote Doherty literally got away with murder.

I'd never given them/him much thought in my life, but I think your post has made me hate them too.

easytarget

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 16, 2020, 12:50:29 AM
As a metalhead there is loads of metal I discount for arbitrary reasons.

I did this with Slipknot because they're gimicky, boiler suit and mask wearing nu metal idiots.
Then I actually listened to Iowa and it's fucking great.

Anaal Nathrakh have a stupid name but they're good

Anyway, who do you hate?

easytarget

Quote from: Spiteface on December 16, 2020, 01:07:38 AM
AC/DC

Do people actually LIKE the new album or is it charity because one of them died? They always came off as a band that sharts out a new album every so often just to tour.
Power Up (PWR/UP) is... fine. They've been doing more or less the same thing for 45 years so I'm not sure how many diamonds are left in that mine.
It does seem like after Back in Black they put out a record, tour and play 2 or 3 songs off it and drop them from the set forever (maybe they still play Thunderstruck? They probably don't keep Mistress for Christmas around though).

Quote from: Spiteface on December 16, 2020, 01:07:38 AM
Every singer they've had was/is awful, too.
schwaaaa?

Menu

Quote from: Jockice on December 16, 2020, 07:32:12 AM
Someone I knew in the music business (nobody famous. Sorry) once told me about Madonna having a tantrum at an airport. And by tantrum I mean the full throwing herself to the ground, kicking her legs in the air, shouting, screaming and crying bit. The sort of thing the average six-year-old would be ashamed of.

So yes, I can imagine that there are other similar tales going round.

Brilliant! She does seem really, er, 'hateful'.

Menu

Quote from: sutin on December 16, 2020, 12:34:31 PM
Yes!! I didn't put him on my list because I don't hate him, but he is very boring musically.

That reminds me of a friend who said he didn't like the Beatles because 'they lacked charisma'.

Menu

Quote from: Phil_A on December 16, 2020, 10:42:02 PM

Well said.