Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:43:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can't stand 'em

Started by kalowski, December 15, 2020, 10:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 16, 2020, 09:41:34 PM
Paul McCartney.  There's something about his power poppy way of concocting a melody that rarely congeals from a collection of notes into an actual tune to me.  It's all so much yacht rock to me.  Yeah, I do like Temporary Secretary of course.

Somewhere in the distance Biggy Titbo can be heard sighing heavily under his Fifth Doctor duvet cover.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: easytarget on December 17, 2020, 04:34:37 AM

schwaaaa?

I know it's a bit odd that there is no official vowel denoting the most common vowel sound in English , but there's no need to sound so confused about it.

( just lightening the mood with a little EFL Teacher humour.)

The definitive list for this thread:
Queen
Elton John
Bob Fucking Dylan
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Police and subsequent solo Sting stuff
Santana

Just leave it at that.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Menu on December 17, 2020, 04:55:19 AM
Somewhere in the distance Biggy Titbo can be heard sighing heavily under his Fifth Doctor duvet cover.

Coo! Looks like Menu isnae as much of a newbie as I thought!

Jockice

Quote from: Menu on December 17, 2020, 04:48:45 AM
That reminds me of a friend who said he didn't like the Beatles because 'they lacked charisma'.

The one from the comedy thread about someone who didn't like Laurel And Hardy because they 'messed around too much' is the king of these things though.

buttgammon

Glad to see Billy Joel mentioned so many times because he's the absolute lowest point in music for me. Pure tedium, and the ultimate in music forpeople who don't like music.

Also Bob Dylan; in fact, pretty much any singer-songwriter types. I was recently on a Zoom call where loads of my peers were evangelising about Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell, and I just sat there in silent embarrassment. Literary types love Dylan because he's "like a poet" but the way I look at it is that he's not good enough as a writer to make it as a poet, but not good enough as a musician to be solely placed in that category either, so he ends up occupying some no man's land between the two. For years, I just chalked him down as someone I didn't get but since he (undeservedly) won the Nobel Prize for Literature, it's been war!

It's probably worth taking the opportunity to moan about the tastes of my fellow literature postgraduates generally, most of whom only seem to listen to Bob Dylan, Taylor Swift and old Irish crap that's all about the past. Weirdly conservative tastes from people who are supposed to be really engaged in the arts.

Thomas

Don't hate Elton John but I'm not bothered about him. I had the opportunity to go and see him in concert a couple of years ago. Since then, a few people have expressed shock that I didn't.

Sometimes, based on these reactions, I briefly regret that I didn't go and see this pop legend in action, but I'm not familiar with much of his work and the ticket was about €85.

On the other hand, I did go to see Nick Cave without knowing too much about him (span through a few of his albums beforehand) and he was amazing, best concert I've been to. We were right at the front, and he was wading into the crowd, improvising lyrics. We should have paid more for the surplus charisma he was giving out.

With that in mind, if the opportunity to see Elton came up again, I
Spoiler alert
still wouldn't go. €85??
[close]

Jockice

Can't stand The Rezillos. Is one of the greatest albums ever made.

Icehaven

Quote from: Menu on December 17, 2020, 04:48:45 AM
That reminds me of a friend who said he didn't like the Beatles because 'they lacked charisma'.

Years ago in an old job I was eating lunch in the staff canteen with three colleagues, two of whom were huge Beatles fans. They were discussing them, and the third person piped up "Yeah, but none of them could really sing though could they?"  The pair of them literally froze with their food halfway to their mouths and looked absolutely aghast, and she immediately realised she'd just said something virtually sacrilegious.
This was in the early days of TV singing contests being very popular and the widespread idea that having an ENORMOUS voice and being able to belt out several octaves at once was what constituted good singing, and therefore good music even if what you were singing along to was basically a karaoke backing track, no one cared, it's all about the voice, the music is virtually immaterial. They explained this to her in great detail and she wasn't convinced, but at least they didn't kill her, which I was worried they were going to at one point.

dr beat

That reminds of when I played trumpet in a Jazz Orchestra, and how one of the other trumpeters used to bang on about Miles Davis having 'a bad technique'.

JaDanketies

Quote from: easytarget on December 17, 2020, 04:28:19 AM
I did this with Slipknot because they're gimicky, boiler suit and mask wearing nu metal idiots.
Then I actually listened to Iowa and it's fucking great.

Anaal Nathrakh have a stupid name but they're good

Anyway, who do you hate?

Anaaal Nathrakh are very much metal I like. I only spent a vanishingly small part of my youth as a nu-metaller before becoming a metal elitist so I missed out on peak Slipknot-appreciation years, but now I listen to them and they're solid.

Metalcore breakdowns don't do anything for me, and bands that focus on them rarely tickle my pickle. Anything less heavy than Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath isn't on my radar, so hair metal like Aerosmith or bands like Ghost can get in the bin.

I've got some kind of ideological problem with Baby Metal being a manufactured band, but in terms of their music, it seems too chorus-driven and perhaps too many changes in tempo, which is something you also see in bands like Akercoke. Too 'stop-starty'.

I rarely like clean vocals in metal, so Myrkur or a whole load of prog like Dream Theatre is bad. In fact, Dream Theatre are too 'look at me, I am deep' in general. Even if they didn't have power-ballad vocals I'd still dislike them.

It's hard to even remember really cos I never have to listen to heavy metal I don't like in 2020. Pantera are way overrated. Metallica have been awful for decades. Machine Head is a band that my friends love that I can't stand. Groove metal I guess.

sutin

I like metal but for me to get really into it, there has to be a self-awareness and humour about it, and a art rock bent. I love Primus, Faith No More/Mr. Bungle, Melvins... I guess the average headbanger wouldn't consider that sort of stuff 'metal', but you know...

pigamus

Led Zeppelin. I know Jack White said that he wouldn't trust anybody who didn't like Led Zeppelin, but there you go. The louder they get, the more bored I become.

monkfromhavana

Limp Bizkit and any of those 90's pop/punk bands that wear shorts that are nearly as long as trousers with white socks.
Faithless
Fairground Attraction (I only know 'Perfect' and it has condemned them without me needing to listen to any of their other tracks)
I know this one is shooting fish in a barrel, but Take That.

kalowski

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 17, 2020, 07:39:10 AM

Queen
Elton John
Bob Fucking Dylan
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Santana
Just leave it at that.
Fixed.

Sin Agog

Yeah, I'm cool with Dylan.  He may have retreated into a 1950s jukebox of late, but even up until that track that played as Lebowski bowled himself under a lane of skirted ladies, he still had a few good tunes up his belt.  I don't simp for him or whatever the young peoples say, but of the classic rockers I guess his salad days repeatedly blasting all the weird shit from Harry Smith's The American Anthology of Folk Music made him stand out a bit more than most of them.

metaltax

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 17, 2020, 03:44:48 PM
up until that track that played as Lebowski bowled himself under a lane of skirted ladies

Wha?!

Sin Agog

Am I getting my scenes wrong?  That might've been Kenny Rogers.  You're all right in that case, Dylan is shit.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Jockice on December 17, 2020, 10:32:25 AM
Can't stand The Rezillos. Is one of the greatest albums ever made.

NO!

sutin

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 17, 2020, 03:34:10 PM
Limp Bizkit and any of those 90's pop/punk bands that wear shorts that are nearly as long as trousers with white socks.

That stuff is awful obviously but I can't hate it because it's so funny and a major part of the cultural landscape when I was young and happy (even though I wasn't into it).

Magnum Valentino

Babymetal.

You know, like Akercocke.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on December 17, 2020, 05:34:15 PM
Babymetal.

You know, like Akercocke.

wherever the venn diagram overlaps is what I don't like. I think it might be 'I don't know when to nod my head'. Except for I like tech

lankyguy95

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 17, 2020, 01:36:29 PM
Pantera are way overrated.
Of all the statements in this thread, this is the one that has me seething.

Sin Agog

Quote from: sutin on December 17, 2020, 05:24:03 PM
That stuff is awful obviously but I can't hate it because it's so funny and a major part of the cultural landscape when I was young and happy (even though I wasn't into it).

100 Gecs makes me think I might have missed something at the time because of an aesthetic aversion to the aforementioned three-quarter length shorts, but I durst not make myself go back there.

Brundle-Fly

Going back to Bob Dylan, if I may?  It's his voice, innit? The lyrics could be that inspiring they would make me ejaculate for ten minutes and give me an idea for a foolproof get rich quick scheme, but I still wouldn't listen to his burbling and caterwauling.

Actually, that's bollocks though because I would listen to him if that was the case.

phantom_power

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 17, 2020, 04:58:26 PM
Am I getting my scenes wrong?  That might've been Kenny Rogers.  You're all right in that case, Dylan is shit.

The Man in Me plays at the start. It is Kenny Rogers Just Checked In To See What Condition My Condition Was In (insert brackets somewhere) that plays during the dream sequence

kalowski

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 17, 2020, 04:58:26 PM
It's the flying dream which is accompanied by The Man in Me.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 17, 2020, 07:39:10 AM

Tom fucking Waits
Elton John
Bob Fucking Dylan
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Santana

Just leave it at that.
Fixed

Pink Gregory

This is so specific - christmas songs that try to do swing.  Whatever that one that goes on about 'the man with the bag'.  Also that god awful version of Last Christmas from the eponymous fillum.

It is A, not the 50's, and B, Mad Men is no longer current.  Give it a rest mate.

easytarget

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 17, 2020, 01:36:29 PM
bands like Ghost can get in the bin.

I saw a lot of complaints about Ghost on the internet, but they seemed to be focused on "they look like they're going to be all Transylvanian Hunger but they sound like disco Type O Negative".
I like them. They sound like disco Type O Negative.

Ghost is just good slightly camp showmanship married to some decent tunes. Love em.