Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:13:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Godlike Bob Dylan

Started by kalowski, December 18, 2020, 02:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

In opposition to the madness that is people putting his Bobness in the "can't stand 'em" thread, I have to stand up for the greatest singer-songwriter of all time. He is the greatest, I think.
You know that bit in The Beatles' anthology when Lennon goes up in the helicopter with the Maharishi, "I asked [John] later, 'Why were you so keen to get up with the Maharishi?'" said McCartney. "'To tell you the truth,' he said, 'I thought he might slip me in the Answer.' "
Actually, the one person who really has the answer to the meaning of life is Bob Dylan.

I like (almost) everything and certainty like something from every phase of his career.

pigamus

I'm fine with people who can't stand his voice, but saying his lyrics are shit? Pfffft.

I think some people just hear Blowin' in the Wind and that's it. Which is mental.

Ferris

It boggles my mind that people don't like his output, there is something new and interesting from every phase. I even liked Christmas in the Heart.

I am a Dylan obsessive though.

Best record of the '70s (other than Blood on the Tracks obviously)? I'm a big fan of New Morning but open to other opinions.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 18, 2020, 07:00:45 PM
Best record of the '70s (other than Blood on the Tracks obviously)? I'm a big fan of New Morning but open to other opinions.

Street Legal for me, it's not perfect but Changing of the Guards, Tales of Yankee Power and Where Are You Tonight? redeem the worst of it, which is Is Your Love In Vain? I like Desire but it's the opposite problem, with Joey and Sara destroying it. Hurricane needs about forty more rewrites and a different subject too.

kalowski

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 18, 2020, 07:00:45 PM
It boggles my mind that people don't like his output, there is something new and interesting from every phase. I even liked Christmas in the Heart.

I am a Dylan obsessive though.

Possibly Desire. If I can include the Rolling Thunder Review tapes I'd have that, though.
I like New Morning, but I've never got on with If Not For You. Sign on the Window, however, is one of his greatest tracks.

Old Nehamkin

he's obviously great and everyone who's like "ooh he's not great" is just a big loser

sutin

Another vote for Bob here. Was brought up on his music and consider him a real genius.

Ferris

Quote from: Lungpuddle on December 18, 2020, 07:07:19 PM
Street Legal for me, it's not perfect but Changing of the Guards, Tales of Yankee Power and Where Are You Tonight? redeem the worst of it, which is Is Your Love In Vain? I like Desire but it's the opposite problem, with Joey and Sara destroying it. Hurricane needs about forty more rewrites and a different subject too.

First half of Street Legal is dead good, less sure about the other half. Desire is a great shout though, wall to wall bangers.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 18, 2020, 07:15:43 PM
First half of Street Legal is dead good, less sure about the other half.

We better talk this over.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Godawful Bob Dylan, more like!!!!!!!

Since this is a comedy forum, an under-appreciated fact is that he is literally the only genuinely funny music legend in history. (The Beatles thought they were funny but weren't. A song like "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream" is actually funny.)

Peaked in 1965 though.

People are welcome not to be big fans - I'm a casual fan, at best - but anyone who claims he is not some kind of god is edgelording, surely.

pigamus

I mean if you love Joni and Laughing Len, fine, so do I. But to say Dylan is shit in comparison, that's absurd.

Old Nehamkin

I'm no worshipper but Blood on the Tracks and Desire are splendid albums.

Psmith

Phew! Some sanity has returned to the forum.

kalowski

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on December 18, 2020, 07:52:52 PM
Peaked in 1965 though.
1997: Time Out of Mind
2002: Love and Death
2006: Modern Times
2020: Rough and Rowdy Ways

All fantastic.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: kalowski on December 18, 2020, 09:01:04 PM

All fantastic.

My copy of Love and Death has a very noticeable typo. I agree, these are all fantastic.

shagatha crustie

I've always liked how you can ask yourself 'how does it feel?' at any period in your life and the meaning of the question changes with the times but always forces a meaningful response out of you.

Brundle-Fly

I only really dig Manfred Mann's and Tom 'Lofty' Watt's Dylan cover versions because like I said in the other thread, it's that 'voice'. I really admire him though but from afar.  It's the evangelical fandom that puts me off which makes me a total hypocrite as a big Beatles fan.

The only album I might be interested in investigating is 'Self Portrait' (1970)  because most Dylan heads hate it. Not just to be deliberately contrarian but because I'm vaguely intrigued by why it is held in such disregard.  I'll get around to that one day.

Quote from: kalowski on December 18, 2020, 09:01:04 PM

All fantastic.

Agree to disagree slightly about his newest album, but anyway I was not implying that the rest of his career was not great. His peak = in less than 24 months between 1964-65 he released four of the best albums of all time. Every single album he released in the 1960s in a 10/10 album. A creative peak during which he was firing on all cylinders as an unparalleled cultural force.

His 60s output is what makes him one of the greatest of all time in my opinion. Even the 70s albums that many people inexplicably seem to like more these days do not hold a candle to that initial phase of his career.

kalowski

Quote from: Lungpuddle on December 18, 2020, 09:03:25 PM
My copy of Love and Death has a very noticeable typo. I agree, these are all fantastic.
Ha. Mine too. I've recently been having a conversation with a mate about 70s Woody Allen films.

Custard

He's easily one of the finest songwriters evaaahhh

The recent stuff (anything after the 70's) isn't really for me, but those first two decades are incredible

I like that he never, ever stops touring too. He doesn't need the money, clearly, but does it cos that's what he does

And as I mentioned in the other thread, he was a joy in The Traveling Wilburys too

kalowski

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on December 18, 2020, 09:53:14 PM
Agree to disagree slightly about his newest album, but anyway I was not implying that the rest of his career was not great. His peak = in less than 24 months between 1964-65 he released four of the best albums of all time. Every single album he released in the 1960s in a 10/10 album. A creative peak during which he was firing on all cylinders as an unparalleled cultural force.
This, my friend, is fair enough. The film Don't Look Back shows him at the very peak of this period.

Lungpuddle

Has anyone here seen him live? I don't know if he's a notoriously awful performer, but every time anyone I know sees him they come away disappointed and feeeel he's taken the piss.

pigamus

Twice. The first time was really good, the second was so awful I walked out before the end.

Cuellar

Saw him several times in the early/mid 2000s. Once in Shepherds' Bush and I bumped into Stephen Merchant in the lav.

shagatha crustie

It's a timeworn observation I suppose, but that last verse of Mr Tambourine Man is unmatched, mesmerising, impossible. There are things going on in there which i couldn't even unpick or explain what they make me think/feel, but somehow are delivered conversationally, colloquially even.

kalowski

Lights flicker from the opposite loft
In this room the heat pipes just cough
The country music station plays soft
But there's nothing, really nothing to turn off
Just Louise and her lover so entwined
And these visions of Johanna that conquer my mind

Ferris

Quote from: shagatha crustie on December 18, 2020, 10:28:19 PM
It's a timeworn observation I suppose, but that last verse of Mr Tambourine Man is unmatched, mesmerising, impossible. There are things going on in there which i couldn't even unpick or explain what they make me think/feel, but somehow are delivered conversationally, colloquially even.

There's an extended harmonica break on No Direction Home (?) at the end of Mr Tambourine Man that is just magnificent. Really, really the very best thing of music there is.