Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:13:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tier Four

Started by Chedney Honks, December 19, 2020, 02:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: lipsink on December 19, 2020, 05:03:59 PM
So how fucked is Johnson after this? It'll be hard to spin it, he could've cancelled Christmas way before this but chickened out.

Can't help wondering if the decision was taken already but he's delayed the announcement until after Parliament is out so as to avoid scrutiny.

They really want to push the idea that this is entirely because of the scary new fast-spreading strain rather than because their measures up to now have been fucking useless, don't they?

Small Man Big Horse

The thing that I'm most shocked by is that Robbie Williams lied to us all in Tier 4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4BTaYbsX-s

Quote from: Alberon on December 19, 2020, 05:07:31 PM
My sister narrowly missed going into Tier 3 (she lives north of London), but I now think she is in Tier 4.

This was my situation in north Hertfordshire, but yes, we are definitely Tier 4 now.

Endicott

Not very clearly announced was it. At the moment:

Guardian says:
The area affected includes all of London and much of the south and east of England, including Kent, most of Essex, most of Surrey, as well Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Hertfordshire, parts of Bedfordshire, Gosport, Portsmouth and Peterborough.

Independent says:
Tier 4 restrictions will apply in all Tier 3 areas in the south east, covering Kent, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Surrey (excluding Waverley), Gosport, Havant, Portsmouth, Rother and Hastings.
It will also apply in London (all 32 boroughs and the City of London) and the East of England (Bedford, Central Bedford, Milton Keynes, Luton, Peterborough, Hertfordshire, Essex (excluding Colchester, Uttlesford and Tendring).

Chedney Honks

Quote from: olliebean on December 19, 2020, 05:18:45 PM
They really want to push the idea that this is entirely because of the scary new fast-spreading strain rather than because their measures up to now have been fucking useless, don't they?

I think they were happy to take a certain level of hit (i.e. the people they govern dying unnecessarily) because they knew that allowing Christmas would in itself buy them some goodwill and hopefully give people enough of a lift and the stomach for the planned January lockdown.

It seems that Blodpan 2.0 really did catch them out so it's now the worst of both worlds for them, and us.

Fambo Number Mive

The government "find out which tier you are in" website has still not been updated. I know which tier where I live would be in from the newspaper reports but you think they would update their own information. I guess it's so they can blame the public.

Sebastian Cobb

Pisstake. I wouldn't have done any travelling anyway but plenty of people will have booked stuff and are now in the lurch.

Almost as if the government know shitloads of people will flout it isn't it?

idunnosomename

Tier 1000, constructed of a mimetic poly-alloy

olliebean

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 19, 2020, 04:37:30 PM
Great, so I am in tier 2 but mum and bro will be in tier 4 - already spent loads of money on food and they haven't got anything in as it's all my treat on the day, so I'm going to have to ignore this "law", somehow I don't think I'll be the only one

Reading this post, it occurs to me the supermarkets are probably going to be even busier over the next few days as people who were planning to visit relatives and now can't will be desperately trying to make sure they've got enough food in for Christmas.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: lipsink on December 19, 2020, 05:03:59 PM
So how fucked is Johnson after this? It'll be hard to spin it, he could've cancelled Christmas way before this but chickened out.

Not at all.  Short memories.  Brexit.  Wanton cruelty.  People will blame anything but the government.  I'd love to be wrong.

Cuellar

Johnny Yesno

Jasha

From tier to eternity

sirhenry

I can't listen to Johnson any more and it wasn't in the summaries I found, so was there any mention of what the students who were told to go home for Xmas are doing afterwards? Staying in their Tier 4 parents' homes or heading back to spread it around the country again?

I wish I didn't already know the answer...

Alberon

Working at a Uni I thought of that as well.

I think the Tier level has to be revisited on the 30th, but it's clearly not going down any time soon. It's probably safe to say the government hasn't even got around to thinking about this.

JaDanketies

Tier and Loathing and Lost Wages

Captain Z

I work in research but our uni was still fully expecting students to return for face-to-face teaching next term according to an email 2 days ago.

Alberon

From a government website about Tier 4 and schools and universities.

QuoteSchools and colleges will remain open during term time in Tier 4 areas. The Government will continue to prioritise the wellbeing and long-term futures of our young people. It remains very important for children and young people to attend, to support their wellbeing and education and help working parents and guardians. Senior clinicians still advise that school is the best place for children to be, and so they should continue to go to school during term time.

My uni is now in Tier 4. Does the government expect students in Tier 1 areas to travel back here in January?

jobotic

Surrey but not Waverly? What's special about Waverly? Who's their MP?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: jobotic on December 19, 2020, 08:18:05 PM
Jeremy Hunt. It is the poshest bit, but also the most rural and the furthest from London. Seems a little bit suspicious, although the figures there are a lot lower than in fucking Woking.

BlodwynPig

Meltdown.

There was a meeting I was party to, where they congratulated everyone for an amazing year of hard work "despite the obvious bad position we find ourselves in now"... Push and pull. Push and pull.

Chedney Honks

Any chance you can take a nucular weapon to the next one?

😂😂😂

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 19, 2020, 08:43:57 PM
Any chance you can take a nucular weapon to the next one?

😂😂😂

Virtual, friend. Blodplan 2.1

SpiderChrist

Quote from: jobotic on December 19, 2020, 08:18:05 PM

My bro and my mum both live there. MP is Jeremy Hunt, I think.

Edit : beaten to it.

frajer

Tiers 4 Fears.

I'm in Herts and can't say I'm surprised how much numbers are spiking, the last lockdown may as well have not existed round here. A daily depression was cycling back from work and seeing all the maskless London commuters mingling in town centre.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Meanwhile we're allowed to go zooming around the country till January 6th even though cases are on the rise, in a move that will surely have no negative consequences whatsoever ÉIRE ABÚÚÚÚ