Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:25:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tier Four

Started by Chedney Honks, December 19, 2020, 02:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

In case you were wondering what telling people that they have eight hours to leave London does:

https://twitter.com/Ferretgrove/status/1340403376341827585

wooders1978

Quote from: Zetetic on December 19, 2020, 10:24:50 PM
In case you were wondering what telling people that they have eight hours to leave London does:

He didn't say that though did he - he said to stay home and not travel
I know I said earlier in the thread I'm going to ignore it however - I wouldn't be going if it meant I had to take packed public travel from an area rampant with this highly contagious new strain

This level of bullishness and the excuse of "its Boris fault" shows a real selfishness in my opinion and I am fed up with being good and isolating when these London mongs keep up this sort of carry on

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede, without order and without a goal. Six million people, unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong (and training and planing too).  It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation; of the massacre of mankind. Not a mask on any of them."

Zetetic

The important thing is to be rich enough to break the law ethically.

Cuellar

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 19, 2020, 10:38:30 PM
He didn't say that though did he - he said to stay home and not travel

Well, he said no travelling into or out of a tier 4 area. But of course there are no tier 4 areas until 12:00am tomorrow, so...

wooders1978

Quote from: Cuellar on December 19, 2020, 10:48:16 PM
Well, he said no travelling into or out of a tier 4 area. But of course there are no tier 4 areas until 12:00am tomorrow, so...

Ok, well yes, god for-fucking-bid people might have to resort to using their own common sense

Cuellar

You're going to break the rules anyway!

wooders1978

Quote from: Cuellar on December 19, 2020, 11:08:43 PM
You're going to break the rules anyway!

I know! I know! However, I'm getting my shopping delivered, then I'm getting in my car and going directly to mums, not even stopping to fuel up, outside of that I've been isolating apart from walking the dog, not really comparing eggs with eggs here (I'm also in a tier 2 area)

Alberon

The government should be planning on some people breaking the laws or doing stupid things like this. There is a good Private Eye cartoon in the latest issue of a crowded shopping centre and everyone is thinking "Idiots!". You tell people not to travel under Tier 4 and a bunch of morons are going to get into a scrum trying to get on a train before midnight.

It was clear on Thursday[nb]Well, in reality days before that.[/nb] that the Christmas plans were downright dangerous, but as usual the government reacts too late.

All we can do is keep our families as safe as we can. And if that means scrapping all our Christmas plans and spending an excruciating half-hour on the phone talking my 84 year old mum through joining a Zoom chat, then so be it.

Zetetic

I'd like to think it's not something that I'd have done, but I'm not sure I'm prepared to call these people "morons".

Some of them will be very literally heavily invested in plans that they've made because the State told them it was appropriate to do so. Travel, food, accommodation costs will have been incurred in advance. They were then given a matter of hours (in reality, one or two in many if not most cases - not eight) to try to work out what their alternatives now were and how they were going to fund them.

We could have reassured them about the viability of alternatives and that they weren't going to be left not knowing where they were going to sleep or what they were going to eat and how much it was going cost them.

We could have made sure that public transport was managed to deal better with any wave of departures, if we weren't going to prevent it.

These are the sorts of things it's reasonable to expect of our governments.

jobotic

Who are they? People who live in London and are going back to their home towns for Christmas? I don't have anywhere to leg it to, even if I would.

Alberon

Maybe calling them morons is too harsh.

But it's yet another example though of a complete U-Turn by the government and not sufficiently planning the outcome of their announcement.

We've a good chance of hitting 70,000 dead by Christmas Day on just the official figures alone.

Zetetic

It's also worth bearing in mind that the probability of getting a train where you need to go in the UK under normal conditions is relatively low.

The East Coast Mainline is already planned to be fucked for much of late December and January, for example, pushing more people onto trains for the brief periods where it'll merely happen not to be working properly.

peanutbutter

Tried to have their cake and eat it ending the second lockdown early. Needed to be six weeks for Christmas to not be a total shit show, even if they insisted on ending after 4 weeks london should've been tier 3, now it's gonna be totally shut down the one week stores get rid of their random old shite lying around.

I'm not going home for the first time ever, and it's honestly kinda nice, I've set up a bunch of things to have some family moments through the week. It'll be wayyyyyy more memorable than the last 5 stale as fuck christmases where everyone's mildly relieved to be leaving at the end of it. (assuming the internet doesn't totally collapse, which it probably will...)

jobotic

But cases here were zooming up during the lockdown. Wasn't just people's behaviour - I can't believe it was that much worse than when we were in Tier 1 and cases were low and not rising.

Must be new strain and definitely schools. Presume the Vermin still intend to force schools to super spread even in Tier 4?

Alberon

Government advice for schools and universities under Tier 4 is unchanged.

JaDanketies

I can't believe how late in the day they called it, after continual reassurances that they would keep Christmas open. Obviously a whole load of people have made plans and spent a bunch of money now, there's less than a week until Christmas.

wooders1978

Quote from: jobotic on December 19, 2020, 11:48:58 PM
But cases here were zooming up during the lockdown. Wasn't just people's behaviour - I can't believe it was that much worse than when we were in Tier 1 and cases were low and not rising.

Must be new strain and definitely schools. Presume the Vermin still intend to force schools to super spread even in Tier 4?

Yes definitely for schools, it was painfully obvious they should have been closed for the two/three weeks up to Christmas - I believe the plan is for schools to remain open even in tier 4, though I guess they're doing winter hollies now anyway?

ASFTSN

Cognitive dissonance in being involved in discussions about whether to go round to small family Christmas 15 minutes walk away is fucking ripping my lungs mind in two. Feel like I'm fuckin losing it.

Psybro

To be fair, the station stampede is at the St Pancreas East Midlands platforms, where they always insist on not opening the barriers until about five minutes before departure, so those scenes don't seem out of the ordinary apart from the context.

Blinder Data

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 19, 2020, 11:15:44 PM
I know! I know! However, I%u2019m getting my shopping delivered, then I%u2019m getting in my car and going directly to mums, not even stopping to fuel up, outside of that I%u2019ve been isolating apart from walking the dog, not really comparing eggs with eggs here (I%u2019m also in a tier 2 area)

I bet there are (hundreds of?) thousands of people in the same boat as you though. Everyone thinks "it's only little old me breaking the rules, what difference will it make."

If the people you are visiting are isolated/vulnerable, then fair enough. But buying a load of food in shouldn't mean you have to travel to a Tier 4 area. Everyone is suffering this Christmas

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 20, 2020, 12:22:22 AM
I bet there are (hundreds of?) thousands of people in the same boat as you though. Everyone thinks "it's only little old me breaking the rules, what difference will it make."

If the people you are visiting are isolated/vulnerable, then fair enough. But buying a load of food in shouldn't mean you have to travel to a Tier 4 area. Everyone is suffering this Christmas

I'm with you on this in theory, but logically if you've been isolating and drive straight to someone's house with no interaction then it should be OK. The rules seem to me to be the best broad guideline they can enact that will influence a mass of people to follow rules for general safety, with no room for nuance and personal circumstances as the more you offer the more people will take the piss.

Think it's best to use your own logic, if you have to get validation from others that it's ok then it sounds like you have doubts or are on shakey ground, if not then use your best judgement.

bgmnts

So the Dutch have restricted UK travel. Fuck is this new strain? Anthrax?

Mr Banlon

Out of towners Christmas shopping, and college students returning home for Christmas use rail network to leave London during busy time of year.

Uncle TechTip

As usual London takes something from somewhere else, incubates it, makes it so much better and gives it back to everyone.

Zetetic

Quote from: Mr Banlon on December 20, 2020, 03:00:56 AM
Out of towners Christmas shopping, and college students returning home for Christmas use rail network to leave London during busy time of year.
The implication being?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on December 20, 2020, 02:24:21 AM
So the Dutch have restricted UK travel. Fuck is this new strain? Anthrax?

We just look like total throbbers right now

shagatha crustie

Christmas by myself this year

Do do do-do, do do do-do, do do do-do-do-do-do-do-do