Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:09:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tier Four

Started by Chedney Honks, December 19, 2020, 02:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 19, 2020, 10:56:32 PM
Ok, well yes, god for-fucking-bid people might have to resort to using their own common sense

Its a disgusting clusterfuck. No movement from SE was being touted 7 days ago. The variant is now everywhere (if it wasn't already).

Fambo Number Mive

Tweets from person taking train from London to Leeds yesterday

QuoteAs expected, train is crammed. Announcement on tannoy says social distancing "will not be possible" due to volume and to get off if you are not comfortable with that...

Everyone of course has suitcases. People have tried to secure social distancing by placing on seats but being asked to remove them by other passengers as the train is so full...

To make matters worse, we've been told this train will be taken out of service at Derby. We will all get off and board a new train, no doubt mixing the virus amongst ourselves as we reorganise with new seat partners.

https://twitter.com/HarrietClugston/status/1340386943167836162

The Government must have known this would happen. I wonder what the country would be like if the government tried to shift responsibility totally onto the public in other areas of life. "We're no longer enforcing laws against underground fight clubs, but we strongly advise people not to do this".

BlodwynPig

Quote from: ASFTSN on December 20, 2020, 12:01:53 AM
Cognitive dissonance in being involved in discussions about whether to go round to small family Christmas 15 minutes walk away is fucking ripping my lungs mind in two. Feel like I'm fuckin losing it.

Stay well.

Zetetic

Worth being absolutely clear that govt could have worked with TOCs and Network Rail to have managed the exodus, even if they were going to encourage it.

Were TOCs even given any warning?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: shagatha crustie on December 20, 2020, 09:26:52 AM
Christmas by myself this year

Do do do-do, do do do-do, do do do-do-do-do-do-do-do

I'm now working Christmas to cover for my colleagues who are all contractors. (only employed Civil Servant on this programme it seems) Don't much like Christmas anyway, but quite an isolating experience.

kalowski

olliebean

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 19, 2020, 11:55:05 PM
Yes definitely for schools, it was painfully obvious they should have been closed for the two/three weeks up to Christmas - I believe the plan is for schools to remain open even in tier 4, though I guess they're doing winter hollies now anyway?

The plan is, I believe, for schools - or secondary schools at least - to be regularly testing all their pupils when they come back after Christmas, but since they were told this with one working day left before the break, and are being expected to organise and administer the tests themselves without any extra funding, resources or training - they just get provided with the test kits and left to get on with it, AIUI - I don't know that there's much chance of that not being as much of a shitshow as everything else this government does.

frajer

Quote from: kalowski on December 20, 2020, 10:16:01 AM
https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1340342881521971206?s=19

Jesus wept.

If Nige really wanted us to have a good Christmas he'd do the decent thing and chuck himself down a silo.

thugler

No idea what they are even basing the tiers on. London has been rife with cases and went down to 2 for some nonsense reason. My old home town in herts i was intending to travel to was 2 for a bit when they treated different areas differently, then up to 3 for no clear reason once they decided to treat the whole county the same. And now 4. Here in brum it's tier 3 when i know for a fact there's been more cases.

Not convinced by the 'new strain' being anything more than a convinient excuse the government can use to downplay their total failure to have any impact. I'm not denying there is one of course, and I'm sure it's more infectious, just doubt very much that it would have cut through so much if proper measures had been taken earlier.

olliebean

Quote from: thugler on December 20, 2020, 10:31:12 AMNot convinced by the 'new strain' being anything more than a convinient excuse the government can use to downplay their total failure to have any impact. I'm not denying there is one of course, and I'm sure it's more infectious, just doubt very much that it would have cut through so much if proper measures had been taken earlier.

The WHO have said it's a variant they already knew about and there's currently no information to suggest it spreads any faster than any other strain, so yes, it's just a scapegoat for the government's abject failure to control the spread. Technically I suppose "up to 70% more transmissible" isn't a lie, but it's obviously deliberately misleading so amounts to the same thing.

Zetetic

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: kalowski on December 20, 2020, 10:16:01 AM
https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1340342881521971206?s=19

Interesting he's trying to shift the responsibility away from Johnson. Imagine if the next pandemic originates in the USA or UK, would be interesting to see how Farage and people like him going on about the "China Virus" react them. I suspect they won't like people talking about the "Britain Virus" or the "American Virus".

jobotic

Who gives a fuck what Nigel Farage thinks? Cosying up to Trump hasn't worked so he wants to get noticed. Needs something better than worn out Trump phrases.

frajer

"Christmas cancelled. Thank you, China."

"Cut! Get Rickman in, this cunt just can't help himself can he."

katzenjammer

Quote from: olliebean on December 20, 2020, 10:43:41 AM
The WHO have said it's a variant they already knew about and there's currently no information to suggest it spreads any faster than any other strain
Where did you see that?

Zetetic

Zetetic

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: olliebean on December 20, 2020, 10:43:41 AM
The WHO have said it's a variant they already knew about and there's currently no information to suggest it spreads any faster than any other strain

I "won't get fooled again" by this kind of info

Zetetic

East Midlands Railway[nb]A brand of Abellio[nb]A subsidiary of Nederlandse Spoorwegen[nb]Owned by the Netherlands state[/nb][/nb][/nb] indicating that they 1) had no warning and 2) provided no additional capacity.

Sebastian Cobb

Scotrail are also ran by Abellio, they're shit. But then again so were First.

Sin Agog

Disappointed no one's used the headline 'Tier Four Fears' yet.

Johnny Yesno

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteCharles Walker, Vice Chair of the 1922 Tory backbench committee in the Commons tells TWTW that he thinks the government knew it intended to "cancel" Christmas on Wednesday or Thursday but waited for Parliament to rise to do it. Says many of his colleagues find this "egregious."

QuoteWhen put to Walker that Matt Hancock said this morning that wasn't the case, it was the briefing on Friday which prompted the decision, Walker says: "Hmm yeah...well I'd have to disagree with the SoS on that." So he's either saying Hancock isn't being truthful or is misinformed.

QuoteThe Charles Walker interview is extraordinary in what he is inferring. A senior Conservative MP is essentially accusing his govt and ministers of deceit about what they knew about the new strain and when and by implication the timing of the new lockdown.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1340651233217011712

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 20, 2020, 05:33:52 PM
QuoteThe Charles Walker interview is extraordinary in what he is inferring.
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1340651233217011712

Ffs, Lewis Goodall. Implying.

Johnny Yesno

I'm so pissed off about this. My modest plan to see my mum, who I've only seen for one afternoon this year since early February when she was in hospital, has been totally wrecked by the cowardice of these tory shitbags. We've both avoided seeing people for the last couple of weeks to minimise the risk, and now it turns out we'll both be alone on Xmas day anyway.

I was deeply sceptical about Xmas happening months ago but I let my guard down when it got so close to Xmas with the five-day C19-superspreading holiday still in place. So, for other practical reasons, I had my mum's presents delivered here instead of to her place and sent gifts for my cousin's son and daughter to their parents' address. Now it's too late to do anything about that. It's a minor thing, I suppose, but it would have been a crumb of comfort to see them get their gifts over video chat.

BritishHobo

I've taken it all for granted a bit because I'm in a position this year where I couldn't feasibly have seen anyone anyway, but the more I read, the more I understand the anger. There must be so many people who, like you, have kept their heads down for the required period, intending to go and have a cautious but companionable Christmas. Now fucked over again, with the barest crumb of tine to figure out alternative plans.

Dropping this at the last minute is a truly insane and baffling decision. It pisses off everyone - those who oppose lockdown and those who support it alike.

Johnny Yesno

Self-absorbed 'centrist' blue tick replies to Farrago like this one don't help either:

https://twitter.com/MikeStuchbery_/status/1340345673330417665