Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:19:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jackie Chan

Started by Chedney Honks, December 19, 2020, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

I highly recommend The Foreigner, which is still on Netflix. It's Jackie Chan vs the IRA, with Pierce Brosnan as a thinly-veiled Gerry Adams. Fucking dynamite.

Make sure you keep going with the Police Story films too. 4 is absolutely bonkers.

Sebastian Cobb

4 is great just for the ladder.

Junket Pumper

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on December 19, 2020, 11:08:28 PM
more stories about cunt-jackie-chan please

Coogan said Chan had a guy on set whose only job was peeling his grapes

notjosh

I heard from someone who knows an actor who was in The Foreigner that when Jackie Chan was filming in England he spent all his spare time sitting in his hotel room watching QVC and ordering random shit like Wondermops and Grape Juicers. He ordered so much that production had to rent a lock-up in Hendon to store it all, and when he went back to China it all got left there. So there is a lock-up somewhere in Hendon full of Jackie Chan's Nutribullets.

Also when he goes out for dinner he has a lady sit next to him, chopping up all his food and feeding it into his mouth in between anecdotes.

Jason Isaac's Jackie Chan story is fun.

Sebastian Cobb

Isn't QVC stuff basically drop-shipped Chinese stuff anyway? Baffling.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: notjosh on December 27, 2020, 08:12:26 PM
I highly recommend The Foreigner, which is still on Netflix. It's Jackie Chan vs the IRA, with Pierce Brosnan as a thinly-veiled Gerry Adams. Fucking dynamite.

Make sure you keep going with the Police Story films too. 4 is absolutely bonkers.

These both sound absurd, just what you I'm looking for. I assumed Police Story went crap after the first two but having looked up 3 and 4, they also sound superb.

greenman

Its been awhile but my memory is the films overall weren't as good but the action set pieces were up to standard.

wasp_f15ting

Strangely enough I just got Police Story 1&2 and Drunken Master without seeing this thread :o

I loved Jackie Chan as a kid, so looking forward to re-living some of those fun times.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: notjosh on December 27, 2020, 09:17:58 PM
I heard from someone who knows an actor who was in The Foreigner that when Jackie Chan was filming in England he spent all his spare time sitting in his hotel room watching QVC and ordering random shit like Wondermops and Grape Juicers. He ordered so much that production had to rent a lock-up in Hendon to store it all, and when he went back to China it all got left there. So there is a lock-up somewhere in Hendon full of Jackie Chan's Nutribullets.

Also when he goes out for dinner he has a lady sit next to him, chopping up all his food and feeding it into his mouth in between anecdotes.

Jason Isaac's Jackie Chan story is fun.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear

Don't even care if it's not true

Chedney Honks

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on December 28, 2020, 02:22:57 PM
Strangely enough I just got Police Story 1&2 and Drunken Master without seeing this thread :o

I loved Jackie Chan as a kid, so looking forward to re-living some of those fun times.

Those Eureka editions are absolutely brilliant.

Lord Mandrake

From 1.23
https://youtu.be/JjUanpVdaSs

Can't speak to him having raped Michael Douglas but he does have a lesbian daughter that he's never acknowledged.

Urinal Cake

And a son he sort of publicly disowned  because of the son's arrest due to marijuana possession.

Junket Pumper

I saw a video of him beating up about 40 guys in a bar

Chedney Honks

Hahaha.

This fucking tittle tattle bullshit is boring as cunt, by the way.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 28, 2020, 08:47:45 PM
Hahaha.

Sorry lads

I do love chan jumping around and that too

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on December 28, 2020, 09:00:33 PM
Sorry lads

I do love chan jumping around and that too

Ignore him, Chan cuntery is infinitley more interesting than Chan falling off a roof into a bin or Chan chinning some underpaid stuntman with a dust pan and brush or something.

Chedney Honks

Mumsnet tier fucking wankers

Please carry on

Sebastian Cobb

Terence Trent Mardy more like.

Chedney Honks

Cheers, that's genuinely my next username sorted.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 28, 2020, 08:47:45 PM
Hahaha.

Fucking rotten thread aye.

Chedney Honks

I'll get it back on track once I've watched a couple more. Halfway through Project A, drawing up thoughts on Wheels On Meals and got Dragons Forever next on my list.

PlanktonSideburns

cant we enjoy both films of him jumping and kicking things, and stories about him being some sort of sting/hitler/phil collins figure at the same time?

Chedney Honks

Yeah, we probably can. It's not my forum (yet)

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 28, 2020, 10:13:20 PM
I'll get it back on track once I've watched a couple more. Halfway through Project A, drawing up thoughts on Wheels On Meals and got Dragons Forever next on my list.

I am interested in Wheels on Meals, let me know your impressions.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on December 29, 2020, 12:17:40 AM
I am interested in Wheels on Meals, let me know your impressions.

Another equally high quality release on Eureka, from a technical point of view. Very colourful and cheery. It's tonally all over the place with a lot more focus on comedy and characters in the first half, then really ups the ante with the action in the final third, and it gets surprisingly violent. The final 1v1 fight sequences are superb. There are probably fewer death-defying stunts but it's still satisfying.

It suits me very well at the moment, it's light and daft but ends up packing a punch. It's not up there with Drunken Master or Police Story but I really enjoyed it.

greenman

There does tend to be a bit of a divide between the "pure Chan" films in that era that focus mostly on stunts and those involving Sammo(with or without Chan) that tend to be more fights.

Been on a marathon of Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung/Yuen Biao films since getting a lot of the Eureka Blu-rays for xmas. So far I've watched The Magnificent Butcher, Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain, Project A, Wheels on Meals, Yes, Madam, Heart of Dragon, Police Story, Righting Wrongs and Eastern Condors. Got a few still to go as well, and so far I've spent every evening grinning from ear to ear. The most talented action stars ever at the peak of their powers and creativity, has there ever been a better time and place for pure action cinema than Hong Kong in 70s-90s? Jackie Chan is like the natural heir to Harold Lloyd, a thrillingly masochistic performer, always willing to risk it all to put unimaginable feats up on screen. His stunt team are obviously some of the craziest fuckers who've ever lived too.

Sammo Hung is my favourite though, I just love his big round eyes and easygoing manner. Wheels on Meals is such a great hangout film, watching Yuen Biao and Jackie Chan nervously try to chat up girls then doing amazing somersaults in the very next moment. Sammo might be better at putting a film together than Jackie tbh, as Jackie's films have higher highs but they're baggier, whereas stuff like Eastern Condors feels a bit more controlled.

And Yuen Biao, my goodness! He may be the most athletically talented out of the three, every flip and high kick is so smooth. Biao seems to stealthily be the best dramatic actor out the three as well, he carries a serious role in Righting Wrongs more than competently, whereas as Jackie and Sammo are a little bit out of their depth in the dramatic scenes of Heart of Dragon (especially Sammo's performance in that film, oh boy!), and Jackie tends to go a bit over the top, his conception of dramatic acting in the 80s seemed to be to shout and cry until your nose runs, although he did get better overtime. Feels like I'm ragging on Jackie a bit too much, make no mistake, he is the best, my boyhood hero.

As far as Jackie's recent films go, the less said the better. I think the last great one is probably Rumble in the Bronx, everything after that has either been let down by being a bloated American production, or weighed down by Chan's ambitions to 'get serious', or just affected by the fact that Chan was past his physical prime by the late 90s, which obviously cannot be helped. Also my Hong Kong friends are very down on him now, for reasons which this article explains better than I could: Jackie Chan: The Anti-Ai Weiwei

greenman

Prodigal Son with Sammo direction Biao would probably be my pick for the greatest (somewhat) traditional Kong Fu film ever made.

Chedney Honks

Not too much to add, but cracking post, Kermit! Really enjoyed that. Still working my way way through buttons picked up Operations Condor yesterday. Those Eureka/88 releases are so damn good. Also got the Lucky Star's trilogy on pre-order, think that's coming March.

touchingcloth

Rush Hour's never been bettered.