Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:26:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spice Girls: Good, Actually?

Started by BJBMK2, December 19, 2020, 09:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urinal Cake

Quote from: sutin on December 21, 2020, 08:41:31 PM
I've only heard of BTS because of one person I follow on Twitter posting about them all the time. I've never seen that name anywhere else.
Well I guess they're not that big where you live.

Captain Z

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 21, 2020, 08:05:43 PM
Only one mention of Sugababes?

About You Now/Push The Button/Round Round/Freak Like Me (granted that came ready made) are fantastic.

Like Girls Aloud, they were having their big hits produced by Xenomania at that time, which was really the key to their success. Except for Freak Like Me, which was Richard X.

Xenomania are also responsible for a tolerable remix of CAB classic Vanilla - No Way No Way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYnx139Yj0M

non capisco

SteveDave

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 21, 2020, 08:45:43 PM
Though I find most of the Spice Girls' solo offerings a bit rubs, you could probably scrape a decent compilation/playlist out of the best tunes

Victoria's Out Of Your Mind is a cracker. Just pretend Dane Bowers isn't there

Geri had a couple good uns. Bag It Up, Mi Chico Latino

Emma had What Took You So Long and the Tin Tin Out one

Mel C had the Bryan Adams one, and the fantastically atrocious (yet good) Going Down

Mel B probably had the weakest offerings. Can't think of any of hers I like. I remember her dire cover of Word Up, but that can leap in bin

Mel C also had "If That Were Me", her rumination on homelessness that makes "Another Day In Paradise" sound like something that sounds good

QuoteI couldn't live without my phone
But you don't even have a home

MAKE YOU THINK

Custard

Oof, really hits home. Or not, as she's homeless

Quote from: purlieu on December 21, 2020, 03:51:52 PM
Sound of the Underground, Jump, The Promise, No Good Advice, Love Machine, Something Kinda Ooooh, all massive singles.

You missed out the objectively best single of theirs, Call the Shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPWUyAZZfK0

Custard

I'm quite partial to Can't Speak French, too

And their cover of Teenage Dirtbag

Jockice

Pure Shores by All Saints and About You Now by Sugababes are the best singles by girl bands this century. Girls Aloud did a few decent singles but none as good as those two.

Oh, and incidentally Natalie/Amelle/Sarah. Just in case you were wondering.

Gulftastic

I took against All Saints almost immediately. I've never liked Pure Shores as a consequence.

My sister did work for Showsec and once refused to let the All Saints sisters backstage at a festival, ignoring their 'do you know who we are?' attempts.

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 22, 2020, 10:00:50 AM
I took against All Saints almost immediately. I've never liked Pure Shores as a consequence.

For me, Black Coffee is much better than Pure Shores, but both are slices of William Orbit dreaminess, and the production sets them far apart from any previous All Saints single.

And Overload is better than About You Now, surely!

I.D. Smith

Quote from: popcorn on December 21, 2020, 06:44:39 PM(Is Radio 3 the one I mean? The ultimate MOR BBC station that plays pop all day and people phone in with their opinions about barbecues so on.)

Although I'm not that familiar with Radio 3, that sounds more like Radio 2 to me: Ken Bruce, the latest by Katie Melua, Jeremey Vine's phone in "Does Britain Have Too Many Bouncy Castles", that kind of thing

Jockice

Quote from: Darles Chickens on December 22, 2020, 10:18:55 AM
For me, Black Coffee is much better than Pure Shores, but both are slices of William Orbit dreaminess, and the production sets them far apart from any previous All Saints single.

And Overload is better than About You Now, surely!

Yeah, I really like Black Coffee too. But then I really liked I Know Where It's At and Never Ever too. Wasn't mad about the singles between that and Pure Shores though.

Not in my mind it's not.

the science eel

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 21, 2020, 04:46:11 PM
Were The Saturdays any good? Genuinely asking, as they kinda passed me by. Though I do like Vince Clarke's edit of their song Issues. Which apparently they consider their worst tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KSKg6E0Z7I

Quote from: Darles Chickens on December 22, 2020, 10:18:55 AM
Overload is better than About You Now, surely!

Forgot about that one, it's up there with their best.

The best song Girls Aloud never did is The Veronicas - Untouched.

popcorn

Quote from: I.D. Smith on December 22, 2020, 10:34:02 AM
Although I'm not that familiar with Radio 3, that sounds more like Radio 2 to me: Ken Bruce, the latest by Katie Melua, Jeremey Vine's phone in "Does Britain Have Too Many Bouncy Castles", that kind of thing

yeah that sounds right. I'm so out of touch!!

Sebastian Cobb

If there's one thing we can all unite on it has to be Jermey Vine being a wanker...

hummingofevil

Spice Girls were a cultural phenomenon like nothing those of us who lived through the 90s will experience again. Yes Girls Aloud and even Little Mix are objectively better but I think we forget how insanely massive Wannabe was a breakout song; they up there with Nirvana and Oasis as the band that defined a generation.

True, but the only reason that Little Mix are not bigger than the Spice Girls is because 50% of them are Geordies. It's racism.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 23, 2020, 02:18:22 AM
If there's one thing we can all unite on it has to be Jermey Vine being a wanker...

I like Jeremy Vine ( brother of Tim, lest we forget), and will happily defend him. We actually have a thing or two in common. We're both big fans of The Fall ( I remember him showing off his 50, 000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong T- Shirt  live on air on that show he took over from Matthew Wright, another feller who I would defend to a degree), and we'd both quite like to fuck Storm Huntley.

Best Girls Aloud song: The Show.

Marner and Me

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 23, 2020, 06:05:43 AM
I like Jeremy Vine ( brother of Tim, lest we forget), and will happily defend him. We actually have a thing or two in common. We're both big fans of The Fall ( I remember him showing off his 50, 000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong T- Shirt  live on air on that show he took over from Matthew Wright, another feller who I would defend to a degree), and we'd both quite like to fuck Storm Huntley.

Best Girls Aloud song: The Show.
Who wouldn't

For songs that are catchy you'd have too go with GA over SG.

Jockice

Quote from: Marner and Me on December 23, 2020, 11:10:12 AM
Who wouldn't

Me. Because I haven't the slightest idea who or what Storm Huntley is. A hurricane named after a child killer?

Marner and Me

Quote from: Jockice on December 23, 2020, 12:09:23 PM
Me. Because I haven't the slightest idea who or what Storm Huntley is. A hurricane named after a child killer?
Yes, correct.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Something Kinda Ooooh (Tony Lamezma Remix)