Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:55:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DISTRACTION POINT: Your End-Of-Year Lists

Started by dr_christian_troy, December 20, 2020, 02:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

It's...difficult to write this as if there's not an incredible and vast quantity of everyone in the same boat, because of course there is. To share my own experiences of this year wouldn't necessarily be futile, but perhaps relatable in some shape or form to most. Regardless, sharing my own situation at this particular moment in time just doesn't feel cathartic - I'm sure it will be at some point, but not yet. Don't get me wrong, I take great comfort in hearing other people share their experiences because no matter the circumstances, opening up and the subsequent often empathetic and positive response to opening up is deeply important.

At this moment in time, having now had the "cancellation conversations" most people have probably had today because of the Tier 4 situation, my priority is total and utter distractions.

So when I refer to "End-Of-Year-Lists", I'm referring to anything - from any point in time - that you finally got around to watching, listening to, reading, or playing this year. What kept (and perhaps still keeps you) distracted?

The CaB community has introduced me to so many wonderful things over the last 15 years or so. In this respect, here's a few of my own personal distraction lists from this year, and I hope perhaps that you might share a few of your own lists too. So here are a few things I discovered - old and new - this year.

PODCASTS

Doughboys - Nick Wiger and Mike Mitchell review restaurant chains. I'm listening chronologically (it began in 2016) and am now just past Episode 50, and frankly it's a joy.

Stop Podcasting Yourself - Canadian comedians Graham Clark and Dave Shumka have been hosting this show since 2008. Again, listening chronologically, there's an evolution of ridiculous and thoroughly entertaining segments including Overheard (in which they discuss strange comments heard in public in between episodes), and Get To Know Us in which they and a guest have a relaxed and often very silly catch-up.

Blank Check - Griffin Newman and David Sims work through the filmography of various film directors who at times were provided creative control over numerous pet projects. I tend to pick out episodes in which they discuss specific films I've seen already, but it's often so insightful that I know purposefully seek out the films they discuss prior to listening to the allocated episode.

Big Grande Teacher's Lounge - There's nine seasons of this improvised world of the deranged foursome of teachers from Hamilton High, but it's so much fucking fun. Listen from the beginning and throw yourself into it.

Rule Of Three - Joel Morris and Jason Hazeley chat with a comedy person about their favourite comedy thing. Inspiring, insightful, comforting, joyous.

Firsthand - An absurd concept in which Greg Gallant and Devin Field interview "real people" and talk about their firsthand accounts from various events in history. Deeply silly but extremely enjoyable.

BOOKS

Wild and Crazy Guys: How the Comedy Mavericks of the '80s Changed Hollywood Forever by Nick de Semlyen - A thoroughly entertaining insight into the comedy films of the 80s, focusing predominantly on the likes of Steve Martin, Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, Rick Moranis, Chevy Chase, John Candy and a few more folks along the way.

Empire of the Deep: The Rise and Fall of the British Navy by Ben Wilson - I'm not a nautical chap by any means, but my grandfather was in the navy and that was one of a few incentives to learn more about how it all began. Very informative and in neat tight chapters with the story beginning in the Viking era.

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes - I'm only about halfway through so far. On the one hand it may be that it's a lengthy tome, on the other hand I kind of don't want to leave this world any time soon. One of my longtime blind spots of literature and I'm so glad to have finally tucked in.

The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000s: An Oral History by Andy Greene - While the title of the book may be a tad bold, having recently given the entire series a re-watch, and also loving an oral history book (Live From New York being one that instantly springs to mind), the stories of the series behind-the-scenes are strangely inspiring.

The Union Of The State by Corey Stulce - Another oral history, this time focusing on the comedy troupe known as The State. If you're not familiar with the original sketch comedy series from 1993, you may certainly be familiar with at least some of the folks involved - Kevin Allison, Michael Ian Black, Robert Ben Garant, Todd Holoubek, Michael Patrick Jann, Kerri Kenney-Silver, Thomas Lennon, Joe Lo Truglio, Ken Marino, Michael Showalter, David Wain. A definitive origin point of the modern American comedy scene.

TV SHOWS

Lodge 49 - Only two seasons and deserved a few more, but nevertheless every single character in this series is redeemable, likeable, and in their own way, optimistic. It's mystical, mythological, fateful, funny and moving. In summary: hope. Cracking soundtrack too.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - A lot of folks may suggest The Next Generation as a solid starting point to get into the Star Trek universe, but despite a few loose decisions early on, this is near-perfect in the overall scheme of things. When you boil it down, it's a group of outsiders, loners and misfits on a space station who are inevitably lead into a very dangerous war. Almost all of the characters in their own right will eventually win you over. Especially Odo.

Joe Pera Talks With You
On Cinema At The Cinema
Dream Corp LLC
- All CaB favourites already for the most part (well maybe not Dream Corp LLC, but frankly it damn well should be), but revisiting these shows this year made me very happy.

Somebody Feed Phil - Phil Rosenthal who created Everybody Loves Raymond goes around the world eating food. That's it, it's not particularly informative. However, his sense of optimism and positivity leads the way, and in a few respects has inspired me to dabble a bit more in the kitchen.

I'll have a think about films, music, games etc. Either way, I would be very interested - and at this point deeply grateful - to hear what distracted you from everything this year.

bgmnts

Isn't Deep Space Nine a bit fighty and very un Star Trek?

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: bgmnts on December 20, 2020, 02:21:32 AM
Isn't Deep Space Nine a bit fighty and very un Star Trek?

I'd say the more-recent Discovery is waaaay more fighty. I would say it certainly manages to tap into a greater depth of ethical humanity than its predecessors. There's some excellent insight into DS9 in the ongoing CaB thread, especially from purlieu.

Fambo Number Mive

PODCASTS:

That Does Suit Madam: A podcast about Are You Being Served by two American fans. Really well done and they are very good at discussing both what they like about the show and what doesn't hold up in 2020.

60 Seconds To Comply: A podcast where the film Robocop (1987) is analysed minute by minute, which a discussion about the various themes and topics in the film. Each podcast focuses on a different minute of the show.

MASH 4077 Podcast: Excellent and in-depth reviews of MASH episodes

West Wing Thing: A podcast by two left wingers looking at how dreadful and neoliberal the West Wing is.

Smershpod

Very funny reviews of James Bond and other films.

TELEVISION:

MASH and Hi-De-Hi.

BOOKS:

Deng Xioping and the Transformation of China by Ezra F Vogel - it's a long read but really well written and really interesting, Chinese history is something I need to learn more about.

Machine Made: Tammany Hall and the Creation of Modern American Politics - a surprisingly  interesting look at  early American politics.

Death Row Breakout and other stories by Edward Bunker. Such a good writer.

Thunderbook: The World of Bond According to Smersh Pod by John Rain

Very funny reviews of James Bond films (different content from the podcast)

Why the Germans Do it Better: Notes from a Grown-Up Country by John Kampfer. Very interesting read.

FILMS:

Charley Varrick - wonderful caper film

The Driver - enjoyable film about a getaway driver, although none of the main characters are very likable.

Sorry none of my reasons why are very long.

pigamus

Thank you for that West Wing Thing recommendation, I was just thinking only yesterday I might start rewatching it over Chrimble. Serendipity!

Dex Sawash

Finally fucked off The 100 mid-season. It was too appalling to complete, even for me.
Sort of an inverse of the OP challenge but an actual accomplishment for a completist.

buttgammon

I properly rewatched Seinfeld from start to finish for the first time in years, and that was a good distraction for a while. It's not news to most people on this forum that it's such a wonderful programme, but it has been a great time to watch it all over again.

The most recent series of Better Call Saul was great, and it really saw me through the early days of the lockdown. I also spent a lot of that time reading Dante, which was maybe less of a great idea.

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on December 20, 2020, 02:19:23 AM
Joe Pera Talks With You
On Cinema At The Cinema
Dream Corp LLC
- All CaB favourites already for the most part (well maybe not Dream Corp LLC, but frankly it damn well should be), but revisiting these shows this year made me very happy.

Give How to with John Wilson a watch if you haven't already. Not only an excellent new show, but the perfect distraction/escapism from being in lockdown.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on December 20, 2020, 04:30:15 PM
Give How to with John Wilson a watch if you haven't already. Not only an excellent new show, but the perfect distraction/escapism from being in lockdown.

Dismissed this as yet another pointless DIY show. Won't spoil it but it is NOT a pointless DIY show.