Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:45:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dover port closed for at least 48 hours

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 20, 2020, 09:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

No lorries allowed from UK into France. Lorries allowed from France into UK but then they wouldn't be able to leave again.

Kent must be lorry gridlock the way things are going. I suppose this means no food from the EU will get into the UK for the next 48 hours as no lorry driver will want to be stuck in the UK.

Eurostar trains to Belgium cancelled for 24 hours.

Both closures could be extended.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55389505

hamfist

Netherlands shut too. I sailed into Europoort from Hull yesterday, guess it was the next to last crossing.

MojoJojo

Brexit shenanigans? Or is there more to the new strain than I've heard?

bgmnts

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 20, 2020, 10:13:57 PM
Brexit shenanigans? Or is there more to the new strain than I've heard?

The Dutch shut down travel to and from UK around the same time as the news of new strain hit I think.

It's good future practice anyway for post Brexit logistics.

Butchers Blind

Any news on toilet roll?  Should I bulk buy now?

imitationleather

Becoming a literal rather than merely metaphorical plague island was always our fate.

Alberon

It's probably a popular political move on the continent, but they're too late. The new strain is over there already.

chveik

don't bring that fucking strain on the mainland you cunts

Quote from: Alberon on December 20, 2020, 10:46:02 PM
It's probably a popular political move on the continent, but they're too late. The new strain is over there already.

edit: fuck. I'm going to bet it's the fault of a second home gammon

Wonderful Butternut

Ireland closing borders to SuperCOVID infected Tanland too.

Should've done that in 1922...

Wonderful Butternut

Hmm... on the verge of a No Deal Brexit and all of a sudden the rest of Europe starts literally closing the border with the UK cos of SuperCOVID.

Coincidence? Or a fabrication to shock the British electorate into accepting a deal by showing them what could happen without one?[nb]Obviously this needed to happen a week ago for this to have any remote plausibility as an idea[/nb]

Conspiracy nuts will wank themselves over this until their phalluses are nothing more than bloody stumps.

MojoJojo

I think the fact it's just the docks shut (too late for me to bother checking), not air travel, indicates this is probably political.

That doesn't mean that the government isn't using the new strain to cover up their late Christmas shutdown. It also doesn't mean the new strain is important - I don't think it's possible to tell at this point.

Zetetic

Ireland, Germany, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium are all halting flights.

jobotic

We deserve this because 100% EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US FUCK US voted for this in KENT and we love two litre bottles of piss and hate refugees. I can move to China fuck you shitholes.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Zetetic on December 21, 2020, 12:43:55 AM
Ireland, Germany, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium are all halting flights.

Opps.

Captain Z

The UK must pay for bringing this new strain on the world.

Jasha

Quote from: Zetetic on December 21, 2020, 12:43:55 AM

Canada and Turkey too now

greenman

Quote from: Alberon on December 20, 2020, 10:46:02 PM

It appearing on the SE UK coast does seem a little coincidental to me as to potentially originating somewhere else and maybe spreading faster here due to weaker lockdown measures and overcrowding.

Whichever way though I'd guess it is probably too late but still hopefully one positive might be that the Tories are really pressured to act towards much stronger measures, schools and higher education not reopening after the holidays most obviously.

Chedney Honks

Cumdumpster must be at home right now laughing his bollocks off and gargling so much cum!

buttgammon

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 21, 2020, 09:03:59 AM

You know you're in trouble when Major Tom being beheaded isn't even the main headline.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Butchers Blind on December 20, 2020, 10:25:02 PM
Any news on toilet roll?  Should I bulk buy now?
According to Wikipedia "All Andrex mainstream is made in Northfleet. Factories in Flint and Barrow in Furness supplement production on the mainline product, along with the Puppies on a Roll, Aloe Vera and Quilts variations."

Northfleet is in Kent, next to Gravesend, so Kent will be well supplied with toilet roll but the rest of Britain? Gridlocked Kent means it's posh TP or nothing.

jobotic

You all take the piss but we're shitting pretty.

Kent!

shiftwork2

The Kent variant and this Dover caper are just a news blackout cover for everyone down there trying to fuck lorries and containers as well as cranes.  Trousers round ankles fucking the Eurostar.  It's what they're bred to do and I'm sick of it.

Anyone more capable with Photoshop than I - can you do Farage sat at Dover shouting a food order to a dinghy please. Cheers.