Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:47:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dover port closed for at least 48 hours

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 20, 2020, 09:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Fambo Number Mive

Is Johnson still doing a press conference "later" whenever that is? I presume he'll be fifteen minutes late or something because he is a Busy Statesman (actually, he was ruffling his hair and got some gin in it).

greencalx

Apparently our local supermarket's cafe, which is now closed, is being used as a strongroom for bogroll.

frajer

While I'd love to see Boris called to task, presumably he'll just say Labour would have done worse and then bury himself in a pair of breasts on a Russian yacht for the rest of 2020.

Pinball

I'm actually surprised that the ports weren't rapid testing hauliers as a matter of routine (takes 15 minutes), which presumably is what will happen when the ports re-open. The lack of investment in testing kits/equipment is shocking. Not that expensive compared with losing a nation's GDP.

Sebastian Cobb

Looks like they're ticketing the lorries going nowhere now.

jobotic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 21, 2020, 04:24:22 PM
Is Johnson still doing a press conference "later" whenever that is? I presume he'll be fifteen minutes late or something because he is a Busy Statesman (actually, he was ruffling his hair and got some gin in it).

Probably some shit about foreigners and this is why we need Brexit.

Perhaps he'll R Budd Dwyer it and cheer us all up for Xmas.

Zetetic

Quote from: Pinball on December 21, 2020, 04:30:01 PM
I'm actually surprised that the ports weren't rapid testing hauliers as a matter of routine (takes 15 minutes), which presumably is what will happen when the ports re-open. The lack of investment in testing kits/equipment is shocking. Not that expensive compared with losing a nation's GDP.
What driver would risk losing their jobs for the next two weeks, at a minimum, by getting a positive?

(Setting aside that there some queries about whether LFDs are even less sensitive to KentViD. But not seen any evidence that this is case, to be clear.)

Fambo Number Mive

Peston asking three questions, two about Brexit.

Its Macron's birthday according to Johnson.

bomb_dog

well that was a waste of time, I learned fuck all.

jobotic

Why on earth is Johnson promising it will be over by Easter?

Were the majority of the queued lorries now crossing the Channel, or have they been moved to a car park?

Blinder Data

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on December 21, 2020, 05:45:24 PM

because that's when he plans to hand in his notice, presumably.

he is a manchild who can't help himself

wooders1978

He likes to dangle the carrot of "saving" public Christian holidays, then making a bit of a bollocks of it

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on December 21, 2020, 05:45:24 PM

Don't worry, it worked when Trump promised that Covid would be gone by Easter 2019.

Wonderful Butternut

All of Europe: Closing transport links to Britain cos of SuperCOVID.

The DUP: "No need to stop flights from mainland UK to Northern Ireland."

Typhoid Arlene & the DUP want to show how British they are by getting the new British strain of COVID. If Michael Martin had a functioning ball he'd close the border with the North in response.

Glebe

I've been making bombs down here but I can't take them up to Northern Ireland. Damn you, covid!

Jasha

Quote from: greencalx on December 21, 2020, 04:27:48 PM
Apparently our local supermarket's cafe, which is now closed, is being used as a strongroom for bogroll.

Get ready for the bog roll barter system

Fambo Number Mive

1500 lorries stuck in Kent according to Priti Patel, Kent councillor is saying 1700.

The managing director of the Road Haulage Association says lorry drivers were offered just a single cereal bar overnight.

Zetetic

Given the lack of toilet facilities, probably for the best.

jobotic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 22, 2020, 10:11:47 AM
1500 lorries stuck in Kent according to Priti Patel, Kent councillor is saying 1700.

The managing director of the Road Haulage Association says lorry drivers were offered just a single cereal bar overnight.

But Johnson said it was 176 last night.

Was he...lying?

Butchers Blind

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: jobotic on December 22, 2020, 10:16:14 AM
But Johnson said it was 176 last night.

Was he...lying?

I think Johnson was just talking about those stuck on the motorway, not at the lorry prk, but even then the actual number was nearer 900:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/highways-england-confirms-900-lorries-m20-monday-not-174-boris-johnson/

Jasha

Looking a bit agro at the docks now, Shapps better hurry up bussing in those prostitutes

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThere are now almost 3,000 lorries being held in Kent as they wait to cross to the continent, the leader of Kent County Council has said.

Roger Gough told the BBC that 2,220 vehicles are now at the airport in Manston.

A further 632 are still being held on the M20 motorway.

The Kent Sikh community is apparently working with Kent Police to provide hot meals for the truckers.

Some footage from someone stuck in Manston airport is here: https://twitter.com/LukWSM/status/1341353795197038593

Once again, our government make the UK an international laughing stock. I feel very sorry for all the lorry drivers stuck in Kent.

According to Sebastian Payne of the FT:

QuoteManston Airport, which is becoming a lorry park for Dover, is where Brexit and UKIP began. The party took control of Thanet council in 2015 - a major foothold - after the airport was shut. Farage campaigned to reopen Manston. Brexit has kinda done that

Fambo Number Mive

Shapps claims an agreement has been reached. The French have said some journeys can resume on Wednesday.

Personally I think the French did the right thing closing the border, although I don't know whether the new strain has been kept out of France. I hope the truckers stuck in Kent will get home soon. How many will want to come back?

Blue Jam

petercussing

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 22, 2020, 05:43:25 PM

According to Sebastian Payne of the FT: Manston Airport, which is becoming a lorry park for Dover, is where Brexit and UKIP began. The party took control of Thanet council in 2015 - a major foothold - after the airport was shut. Farage campaigned to reopen Manston. Brexit has kinda done that

Interestingly one of the first thing they did when they got in was can their council's economic development department, in one of the most deprived places in the country, and now have one person who works 3 days a week inn a kind of tourism/economic dev role who is very hard to get hold of. As councils were in charge of dispersing the covid support grants for businesses in their areas obviously this proved very difficult to access for businesses in this already fucked local economy.   

Anyway, they couldn't even get on with each other either with a load of Kippers leaving and becoming independents so they didn't have the majority properly as they all were the belligerent fucker that would be ukip councillors (average councillors are bad enough).

Fambo Number Mive