Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:09:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

SuperCovid is not UK-specific so open the damn borders

Started by Pinball, December 22, 2020, 09:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

It's been confirmed- the UK 'super Covid' was a red herring, attributed to the UK only because the UK does half of the world's Covid genomic sequencing. For example, France (same population) does 5% the number of genetic tests (probably much less ? 0.1%), so 'doesn't have it' (if you have no science background and run a country called France).

"For example, Public Health Wales [population 3 million] sequenced about 4,000 genomes in the past week, more than the whole of France [population 65 million] since the beginning of the pandemic".

What a shame our politicians are so scientifically illiterate that they didn't realise this basic 'numerator/denominator' issue (FFS...).

Genetic mutations found in other countries also happen to be in countries doing a lot of testing (S Africa, Denmark, Netherlands). Clearly, the recent case rises seen in many countries are for similar reasons to the UK ("increased transmissibility of the new variant was likely to be down to "biological changes to the virus" [not human behavioural differences]"). Maybe shut their fucking borders too? <rolls eyes>

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55413666

Wouldn't it be nice if our countries weren't run by idiots?

bgmnts

QuoteAs a result, we don't know whether the mutation began in Kent or whether it was introduced from elsewhere, Prof Peacock said

Cheers.

Zetetic

You don't need actually need to do genomic sequencing to estimate the prevalence of KentVid though.

You can use multiple-target PCR assays, and look for S-gene-dropout. (I mean you might pickup some other variants, it's not a terribly specific approach.)

QuoteIt's been confirmed-
What's been confirmed?

bgmnts

It's been confirmed that nothing has been confirmed.

PlanktonSideburns

Pinball

Zetetic

You make a claim, but then the rest of the post doesn't support it.

What's been confirmed?

Pinball

Quote from: Zetetic on December 22, 2020, 09:38:25 PM
You make a claim, but then the rest of the post doesn't support it.

What's been confirmed?
It's been confirmed- the UK 'super Covid' was a red herring, attributed to the UK only because the UK does half of the world's Covid genomic sequencing. For example, France (same population) does 5% the number of genetic tests (probably much less ? 0.1%), so 'doesn't have it' (if you have no science background and run a country called France).

Zetetic

No, it's not been confirmed that it's been "attributed to the UK only because the UK does half of the world's Covid genomic sequencing".

That France does less genomic sequencing than the nations of the UK, doesn't mean that there is good evidence of poorly controlled spread of KentVid in France.

chveik

katzenjammer

Quote from: Pinball on December 22, 2020, 09:25:43 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if our countries weren't run by idiots?
They wouldn't be if people didn't vote for them

BlodwynPig

We'll have a much better pic of england wide variant frequency next week.

Zetetic

DrGreggles

Quote from: chveik on December 22, 2020, 09:55:24 PM
I hear drinking piss is good for the skin.

You need to put 'Simon Says' 'It's been confirmed' first.

NoSleep

Quote from: Zetetic on December 22, 2020, 09:31:03 PM
What's been confirmed?

That the BBC will say whatever the Conservative government wants them to say.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on December 22, 2020, 10:10:15 PM
Strongly suggest sequencing Pinball.

It's just a nest of VUI, poke it with a stick and the mutations wriggle inside.

Inspector Norse

Uncle TechTip

Surely if you open the dam borders you risk flooding the town. Ahem.

SpiderChrist

I thought we needed to close our borders? Make yer fucking mind up.

Pinball

If you look for a thing (UK) you find a thing. If you don't look (France), does it mean it isn't there?

Buelligan

Wherever it is or isn't, ask yourself, scientifically, is it safer to keep everyone from moving about until you know exactly where it is?

I mean, if it was supposed to be in Paris, would you encourage a visit from Parisians[nb]I wouldn't, COVID or no, because they're all cunts.[/nb]?

Enjoy your piss

Pinball

Finding tings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-55421730

"The new variant of coronavirus is almost certainly in the majority of European countries already, according to Prof Neil Ferguson, from Imperial College London.

He was giving evidence to the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee alongside other experts from the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group, which advises government.

The variant has already been detected in other countries such as Denmark, but is likely to have spread much wider.

Prof Ferguson said: "I'm almost certain in my view, that this virus has been introduced into the great majority if not all European countries at this time."

The UK has sequenced 45% of all the genetic codes of coronavirus in the world and it is still not certain whether it originated in the south east of England or was just first detected there.

This has raised concerns the UK is being punished for discovering the variant.

At the same hearing, Prof Peter Horby, from the University of Oxford, said: "I think it's fair to say countries that have more extensive and rigorous science and are more transparent do expose themselves to important information being made available to others.""

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It is unhelpful language to describe caution as 'punishment'. No-one benefits from these border checks, and there is no solution that doesn't harm both the UK and other countries in some way.

It's just the usual parochial toddler speak by mental midgets who want to drawn us into a tribal pissing contest.

Pinball

There is a difference between border checks and closing the border completely.