Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:04:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

SuperCovid is not UK-specific so open the damn borders

Started by Pinball, December 22, 2020, 09:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Are those proper tests or the ones that give masses of false negatives?

Buelligan

I think they're the ones they base on predicted grades.

Chedney Honks

Hypervid is now in all corners of the Earth so seems we're the new China.

NoSleep

Zetetic

Still curious about this:

Are you prepared to accept that this variant had clearly spread to a far greater extent in SE England than elsewhere in the UK at one point?

(And that this then changed.)

Pinball

Oh you :-)

Yes of course. My point is that we don't know patient zero, and because the UK does half the world's genomic testing means we are much more likely to detect stuff, without necessarily being the origin of said stuff. Obvious but yet we still see the scientifically illiterate blame the UK. (Yes we might be to blame, but don't self-immolate the messenger. I know we like to self-immolate, it's something the UK does much more than other countries, like genomic testing, but doesn't make it factually correct).

OK? ;-)

Zetetic

Zetetic

Pinball

Thanks. I do try to be factually & scientifically accurate, even if verbally dramatic at times :-)

Zetetic

I think there's quite a distinction between "blame the UK" and "take prophylactic action in the absence of evidence to contradict it", though.

France wasn't blaming the UK when it attempt to reduce transmission, it was making a judgement based on limited evidence. KentVid may or may not have been widely circulating in France, but they didn't have good evidence that it was. (While they did have good evidence of its prevalence in South East England.)

chveik

seriously I doubt we will encounter the same level of xenophobia directed towards the british than there was to the chinese

Buelligan

Why don't we just throw away these not at all useful ideas of blame?  It's a virus, it has no morality, it doesn't give a fuck about nations or borders, it has no allegiance but the drive to survive and replicate.

All this bollocks about blame and nations achieves what?  It encourages people not to be honest about things and deal with them when there's still a chance of doing that, because they don't want to be left without a chair when the music stops.  Not helpful when you're the population of a planet trying not to let your people die.

Who gives a flying fuck about where it started, we need to stop it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: chveik on December 30, 2020, 01:22:08 AM
seriously I doubt we will encounter the same level of xenophobia directed towards the british than there was to the chinese