Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:53:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

“Eight items or fewer”

Started by Ferris, December 23, 2020, 12:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Imagine, if you will, a shopper. They've completed their shopping and arrived at the "8 items or fewer" lane.

Their basket has 2 loaves of bread, 4 tins of cat food and 3 apples.

Are they in the wrong, and more importantly do they have more than 8 items?

PlanktonSideburns

Zetetic

Are any of the items in a multipack and, if so, did you think you were being clever by withholding this information from us?

If not, are they available in a multipack?

sirhenry

maybe

Spoiler alert
So there's a bunch of apples, a brace of bread and a catharsis of cat food; that makes three items total, Shirley.
[close]

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Zetetic on December 23, 2020, 01:00:21 PM
Are any of the items in a multipack and, if so, did you think you were being clever by withholding this information from us?

If not, are they available in a multipack?

i swear to god, ill be fucking RAGING if youve done this to us ferris

Ferris

No multipacks, no tricks.

I think I've worked out a system of categorization that I will be selling to all major retailers to ensure fairness and eliminate doubt when queuing in the "8IOF" line.

I'm road testing it here, for market research purposes.

Ferris

Under the proposed FerrisQueueSystem, the shopper has 5 items and is therefore ok in the 8IOF line.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 23, 2020, 12:57:46 PM
Imagine, if you will, a shopper. They've completed their shopping and arrived at the "8 items or fewer" lane.

Their basket has 2 loaves of bread, 4 tins of cat food and 3 apples.

Are they in the wrong, and more importantly do they have more than 8 items?

Multiples of the same item count as 1 up to a limit of two constituent parts, providing the item is smaller than a loaf of bread, unless you have to weigh the constituent pieces of the "item" to pay, in which case the limit moves to multiples of 3 per "item". It's genius is in its simplicity and elegance.

4 tins of cat food. These are multiple items, but do not need to be weighed and are smaller than a loaf of bread. That means each brace of cans counts as a single "item". 2 items

The apples have to be weighed prior to purchase to determine price, and therefore receive the higher "3 constituent pieces per item" classification. 1 item

The two loaves of bread are multiples of the same item, but are not smaller than a loaf of bread so count as two discrete items against your limit. 2 items

I propose enforcement officers be immediately stationed at 8IOF tills across the land, with heavy fixed-penalty fines for non-compliance.

I am selling 15% of the business for £180,000.

Gregory Torso

Use self service, anything goes there. All items unlimited. If anyone talks to you, scream and shit yourself.

Ferris

Quote from: Gregory Torso on December 23, 2020, 01:24:14 PM
Use self service, anything goes there. All items unlimited. If anyone talks to you, scream and shit yourself.

People like you are the reason this system must be implemented before the new year.

Gregory Torso

I bless everywhere I go with my no nonsense approach to ignoring the "eight items or fuck off" queue of chumps. No rules. The captain is dead and the rats have taken over. Please can you come and age verify me for this fucking pritstick I am going to take home and inject into myself?

brat-sampson

Bread sliced or no? Actions have consequences.

Gregory Torso

Has anyone ever melted Pritstick into a spoon and banged it up their arm?

Gregory Torso

Yeah man better not be any more than eight Pringles in that tube or youre going in the Hole

Ferris

Butchers Blind

I make sure I have exactly 8 items in my basket then right by the till I pop in a packet of mints just to piss off the person behind.

Captain Z

Presumably the restriction exists for time-efficiency reasons. Therefore the limit should be defined by the number of scans the operator has to make. In this case, the person only has three "items":

Bread: one scan, QTY 2
Cat food: one scan, QTY 4
Apples: one scan, QTY 3, or one weighing operation

touchingcloth

"X items or fewer" is really a "small transactions only - don't be a cunt, the staff aren't actually arsed enough to count your items" system, and anyone who tries to assignee exact numbers to what constitutes a small transaction is a tomatoes-are-fruits-actually-tier bell end.

Quote from: Gregory Torso on December 23, 2020, 01:24:14 PM

Not in my local Asda where attempting to take a trolley in there (even the shallow ones) will lead to you getting told off and having to awkwardly back up down an aisle that's way too small.

If only they could respond to flashing red lights on the tills as quickly as they pounce on people with trolleys.

Buelligan

Quote from: Captain Z on December 23, 2020, 01:51:22 PM
Presumably the restriction exists for time-efficiency reasons. Therefore the limit should be defined by the number of scans the operator has to make. In this case, the person only has three "items":

I think it all depends on whether they are truly these things.  Or are they bread, gluten-free and bread, artisanal nut.  Cat food, Felix - rabbit and shrew; cat food, Whiskas - duck; cat food, Whiskas - duck; cat food, Royal Canin - kitten; cat food, Authority - adult.  Apples, Gala; apples, Pink Lady; apples, Devonshire Quarrenden.  Or something else.  Something utterly utterly else.

Ferris

Quote from: Captain Z on December 23, 2020, 01:51:22 PM

I thought of that, but what if some Dom Joly-alike joker brings 3,000 tins of whiskas to the till?

Under your system, we'd all be standing about tutting as they loaded the pallets into their VW Passat.

No, I'm afraid my system is the best one.

steve98

I read your "system" earlier Ferris and couldn't make head nor tails of it. No need to correct me if I'm wrong, but you seemed to suggest some kind of standard loaf size (against which other items (like cat-food) might be measured), without suggesting what that size might be.... I dunno, maybe it's me, maybe I'm just thick.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 23, 2020, 01:29:01 PM
I say 8 items or less
Me too. I know it's wrong but fewer just sounds crap.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fewer opinions like that one cheers thx

Cuellar

I just fucking can't with all this right now

Ferris

Can't believe I have wasted this system on you clowns.

Time to take this bad boy to the Dragons. Bannatyne will shit himself.

QDRPHNC

I'd give them a pass on the apples, even though they are technically scum.

Mr Farenheit

You're obviously trying to buy nine items.
To get yourself into the 8IOF category you therefore need to sell an item to a member of staff or fellow shopper, thus creating a buy/sell balance of eight items.

I will give you four pounds for your shoes. Take it or leave it. And by 'it' i mean the 8IOF queue!

Ferris

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on December 23, 2020, 04:50:15 PM
You're obviously trying to buy nine items.
To get yourself into the 8IOF category you therefore need to sell an item to a member of staff or fellow shopper, thus creating a buy/sell balance of eight items.

I will give you four pounds for your shoes. Take it or leave it. And by 'it' i mean the 8IOF queue!

No. The system is perfect. The system is immutable.

All power to the system.