Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:33:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Shadow Over Innsmouth (BBC Podcast/Lovecraft adaptation)

Started by Consignia, December 23, 2020, 02:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

Again similar caveat to last year, it's not really literature but it's related and this forum is probably a better place for it.

Following on from last year's The Whisperer in The Darkness, the beeb published what I believe is the final part of the "Lovecraft Investigations". These are Lovecraft stories adapted to present day as true crime podcasts. The premise is starting to wear a little thin, as it gets a bit overtly supernatural.

I'm only about half way through, but I'm feeling it's a bit more of a return to form as a creepy investigation into to weird shit is going on. The adaptation of the The Shadow Over Innsmouth only really accounts for half of the story, but it is proper creepy as it delves into the strangeness of this backwater American town.

The other half is a continuation of the ending of Charles Dexter Ward, and it's a little harder to get too excited about it as it eschews the weirdness for the conspiracy thread. However, it doesn't do it as much as the last story and ties itself in a bit better to both Lovecraft Adaptation and the entire series plot thread.

If you've liked either of the previous ones, I'd suggest giving it a go.

petercussing

I was super pleased to find this last weekend and listened to it all on sunday.

I really love these in sipte of all the slightly clunky bits and would be happy for them to do them for a ton of further series based on all the HP Saucecraft stories

If you haven't already, you should track down copies of some of Simpson's other radio work to really appreciate how it all ties together. Mythos especially, but also Fugue State, Bad Memories and Fragments.

Pingers

I listened to the first two but then went back to The Case of Charles Dexter Ward to remind myself who's who and what happened. About to start The Whisperer in Darkness again, then will carry back on with Innsmouth. The earlier ones are less creepy the second time around, but make more sense.

Consignia

Just finished this today; it does feel like it has the same problem as Whisper towards the end. Too much of the conspiracy stuff, I wish it just really concentrated on the main story. It takes centre stage too much, especially when the actual Lovecraft parts are great. Really loved everything that happens in Innsmouth, and the cult stuff in Iraq isn't too bad either.

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on December 23, 2020, 05:01:16 PM
If you haven't already, you should track down copies of some of Simpson's other radio work to really appreciate how it all ties together. Mythos especially, but also Fugue State, Bad Memories and Fragments.

I will try and check these out.

petercussing

Pingers

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pingers on December 26, 2020, 12:17:35 AM
Also, Kennedy Fisher is fucking awesome

Reminds me of Rebecca Front

I couldn't remember if I listened to Whisperer (familiar but there could have been another podcast about "oooh strange beings outside the remote house"), certainly heard Carter. So I'm listening to Whisperer now before this.